General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What a week!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 10 Nov 2004 21:02

Am having a bit of a week of it - bit like Baz's big day the other week! Will explain ....

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 10 Nov 2004 21:07

Monday - went for the first time to see my baby sister's grave. She was born in the 60's and lived for only 30 minutes. My dad arranged her funeral and had it carried out while mum was still in hospital - quite common in those days. She was buried in a public grave, with 4 unrelated people, despite there being space in other family plots. This is apparently quite common too. Mum has never visited but wanted to find out about placing a memorial. The area was not as bad as feared, now it is up to mum to decide between a stone (already 3 on there), a plaque in the Chapel, or an entry in the book of remembrance.

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 10 Nov 2004 21:10

Today - went to meet for the first time my 3rd cousin twice removed!!! He and his wife are both 92 and FANTASTIC!!! They will have been married for 70 years next year! We spent a couple of happy hours exchanging photos and anecdotes and intend for us to visit them again in the New Year. He lent me a fabulous 150 page book about the village our ancestors lived in - extracts from local papers, registers etc - including loads about my gt gt gt grandfather - and some other family papers for me to decipher. I can't wait to start!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Nov 2004 21:11

Maz, glad you were there for your mum. She xx

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 10 Nov 2004 21:12

Tomorrow - going to the British Library Newspaper Library at Colindale!!! Won't be able to sleep for excitement tonight!! We are going to try and find a report of an inquest into the drowning of a man who could be our gt gt gt grandfather in 1859. We hope to prove two things. 1 - it IS him!! 2 - he was born in Bristol and is the same man I have found on the census. I soooo hope it is him and we can find his wife and more details about him. Will let you know tomorrow how we got on, never been there before.

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 10 Nov 2004 21:15

Thanks girls! Hadn't told mum I was going, spoke to her today after our visit with new rellies. She was fine that I hadn't told her and is thinking about maybe the book of remembrance and a dedication on my Dad's stone - mum will eventually be there too - but we need to make sure there is room. Lynda - I need to sit and make sense of my scribbles before I can even THINK about reading!!! Maz. XX

Joy

Joy Report 10 Nov 2004 21:16

What a week indeed! Joy

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 10 Nov 2004 21:19

OH YEAH !!! Forgot to ask, does anyone know the address you have to now write to when you need a telegram from the Queen? Promised their son I would find out for him. Maz. XX

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 10 Nov 2004 21:19

Wow Maz, What a start to the week. Let me know how you get on at Colindale as thinking of going to look for record of my GGG Grandfathers inquest after he fell off his cart in Kennington Park Road in 1871. Naomi x

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ*

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ* Report 10 Nov 2004 21:32

How to Receive a Telegram from the Queen 100th Birthday and 60th Wedding Anniversary telegrams can be arranged by writing to the following address, at least 6 weeks before the date on which it is required, enclosing as 'proof' a birth certificate or a marriage certificate as appropriate. Chief Clerk, PSO, Buckingham Palace SW1 Alternatively telegrams can be arranged through The General Register Office. Please contact 0151 4714400. Commemorative Marriage certificates for Gold, Silver, Ruby and Diamond anniversary, can be obtained from The General Register Office. Please allow at least 14 working days before delivery is required. Contact 0151 4714256 Dee x

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 10 Nov 2004 21:59

Thanks very much Dee - will pass that on to him. Thanks everyone for your replies - will let you know tomorrow how I get on. Maz. XX

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 10 Nov 2004 22:10

Oh nearly forgot .... Saturday - small unimportant football match ......

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ*

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ* Report 10 Nov 2004 22:19

Not exactly Lynda....but we ARE bosom buddies....we share the same cup size according to Rigby & Peller... Oh hang on a minute though.... maybe that was BARBARA Windsor???? LOL Dee x

Jean Durant

Jean Durant Report 10 Nov 2004 23:12

Maz, You must be out of breath by now with all this excitment. Have a cup of camomile tea, close your eyes and dream of the perfect end to a hectic week happening around 5 p.m. on Saturday evening. (Come on you >>>>>). Jean x. .

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 10 Nov 2004 23:26

Jean if only!!!! Hope you are still coming on 27th?? Do you wanna go with us? Maybe meet at Wstow Central?? Maz. XX

Sandra

Sandra Report 11 Nov 2004 05:01

Hi Maz what an exciting week for you, i'm so pleased it is going so well, you busy little bee. lol sandra

Jean Durant

Jean Durant Report 11 Nov 2004 07:27

Maz, I have e.mailed you. Jean x.

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 11 Nov 2004 07:49

Pleased for you, Maz. All your efforts are putting me to shame!

valinkent

valinkent Report 11 Nov 2004 16:00

Maz i am thrilled too bits for you , I do hope you have a lovely day today researching and find the information you need . Don,t worry about THE MATCH this weekend ,you can do it!!!! Val

Sue (Sylvia Z )

Sue (Sylvia Z ) Report 11 Nov 2004 17:13

Maz, How much more excitement can we take.... this is better than any book, because it is true!! Hope your visit to Colindale went well and you got what you went for. Looking forward to the next instalment Sue