General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Toilet or Loo

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 10 Nov 2004 21:21

Which of the above would you say was the politest way of saying where you were going?

Emma

Emma Report 10 Nov 2004 21:22

Toilet, but as i have 4 small children i tend to say tinkle!!!!!

squeekydeeky

squeekydeeky Report 10 Nov 2004 21:22

toilet

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 10 Nov 2004 21:23

The reason being I was arguing with my South African friend that I thought toilet was common and loo seemed politer but she disagreed with me and thought it was the other way round.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 10 Nov 2004 21:23

Depends on who the comment is directed at....in public "toilet", in private,at work, maybe something less prim!

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 10 Nov 2004 21:24

I was brought up to say toilet too but I don't know, it just conjurs up images of, well, toilets, whereas loo doesn't. If I'm out I go all American and ask for the bathroom! lol

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ*

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ* Report 10 Nov 2004 21:26

I'm sure I read recently that posh people actually use the word lavatory!!! Any other word is deemed "common". Dee x

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 10 Nov 2004 21:30

Ah well it seems like I have lost my argument :o(

♥ Katz

♥ Katz Report 10 Nov 2004 21:31

Usually Loo, sometimes toilet. Kxx

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 10 Nov 2004 21:31

Loo bog Carsy john...

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 10 Nov 2004 21:32

Maz you taking the pee? (lots of pun intended! lol)

John

John Report 10 Nov 2004 21:32

Yes Elaine?

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Nov 2004 21:40

I had two elderly ladies in my childhood who I thought were aunts (they were actually the sisters of the wife of my father's brother) and they always said they were going to "shed a few tears for Jesus"! Even then, I thought that sounded both vulgar and blasphemous. More refined elder generation said "powder my nose". I would say loo or ladies (I hate both toilet and lavatory - toilet just reminds me of public toilets - ugh - and lavatory reminds me, don't know why, of cold seats and chains I couldn't reach). nell

Daniel

Daniel Report 10 Nov 2004 21:43

To spend a penny is another one.

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 10 Nov 2004 21:44

John :o)) Throne...

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 10 Nov 2004 21:46

Daniel, just a thought,do they still use pennies?

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Nov 2004 21:50

Bob - anything from 20p to £1

Cougarjo

Cougarjo Report 10 Nov 2004 22:15

I used to live in the States so tend to say 'bathroom' or sometimes say 'little girls room'. Toilet sounds so vulgar and unhygenic. All personal preference though and don't mind what people call it really. Just some terms sound more refined than others! Joanne

Felicity

Felicity Report 10 Nov 2004 22:31

I don't know if this is a USA West Coast saying but many people here say that they have to 'go potty'. It sounds very odd to me, especially when it is an adult talking about themselves. So long as everyone understands what is meant I don't suppose it matters much what words are used. Each to their own!

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 10 Nov 2004 22:41

You're right Felicity, I couldn't say "go Potty". My hubby quite often states he's off to the s**tter or cr**per. Such a gent!