General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do They Know It's Christmas?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andy

Andy Report 16 Nov 2004 10:19

Anyone heard the new version yet? It's just been on Radio 2. All I can say is what an utter, pathetic mish-mash and cannot be mentioned in the same breath as the original, which was sung with passion, not like this version (IMHO). This time round we had some rapping from Dizzee Rascal (what the hell?), cheesy, screaming guitar solos from The Darkness (fine for their songs but no place here) and the sound of them applauding each other at the end as a final nail in the coffin. As for Bono singing "his" line, it's all a storm in a teacup as far as I can see.

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 16 Nov 2004 10:22

lol Andy you sound like my hubby who is also called Andy. What you have to remember this has got to appeal to the younger generation , it has to reflect the music trend of today ( I THINK lol ) I was 20 when the original came out and it certainly was the bands of its era...............so perhaps we're too old now LOL!! Much happiness debi who hasn't heard it yet : ))

Anna

Anna Report 16 Nov 2004 10:24

I heard it on the radio this morning,they then played the old one afterwards. I though it was total rubbish and can in no way be compared to the old version. They said on the radio this morning that they had over 200 texts in a few minutes,and noone gave it higher than a 4 out of 10. Was it Dido who sang the bit after Chris Martin?She sounded awful! I wont be buying it lol Anna :-)

Andy

Andy Report 16 Nov 2004 10:26

Debi, I'm not usually this vitriolic, but that wound me up. Have calmed down now, lol.

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 16 Nov 2004 10:28

*phew* Andy u mean i can come out of hiding? lol I actually agree with CB perhaps had they done something different it would be alot better...........still aint heard it thought lol!!

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 16 Nov 2004 10:38

Haven't heard it yet, but I didn't realise this was the 3rd time it's been done. We all remember the original, but does anyone remember the version with Kylie and Wet Wet Wet amongst others. I can't! Christine

Andy

Andy Report 16 Nov 2004 10:38

CB, You're probably right. Thing is, I didn't expect it to be equal or superior to the original, very few covers are, but this was such a ham-fisted attempt that they sounded more like a bunch of drunken carol singers.

Willy

Willy Report 16 Nov 2004 10:57

sorry havnt heard it yet,but the census of appeal suggests its utter "CRAP".So its going to be the No 1 for Xmas.The John Peal and Tony Blackburn song is growing on me.

Jane

Jane Report 16 Nov 2004 11:48

Only heard the start and that was enough! think I will donate money without buying the record this time. Jane

Andy

Andy Report 16 Nov 2004 11:52

if I remember rightly the 2nd version (released in 1989) was a bit of a who's who in the Stock, Aitken & Waterman portfolio.

Bec

Bec Report 16 Nov 2004 12:05

Well I like this version. It appeals to myself and many of my friends. It might be different to music 'back in the day' but this is music now. Music now is about encompassing many mediums and cultures. Dizzee Rascal is representing a hugely relevant part of the music industry, as are most of the other artists in their own way. Like it loathe it, who cares? It's for charity! becx

Andy

Andy Report 16 Nov 2004 13:24

CB, that was Band Aid as well. Seem to remember Jason Donovan, Pet Shop Boys, Bananarama, Bros (probably) performing. Basically anyone who was capable of getting a top 10 hit in 1989.

Andy

Andy Report 16 Nov 2004 13:46

Yes, I hope I wasn't giving the impression that I didn't care much for the artists themselves who performed on the record - some I do like, some I don't. The same goes for those who performed on the original record.

Trevor

Trevor Report 16 Nov 2004 14:03

I am not sure that the quality of the record is what it is all about...it's irrellevant really ...Isn't it about raising money for those that need it

Lisa

Lisa Report 16 Nov 2004 14:23

andy didn't like it that much.will never be like the first one.xxxxx(:

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 16 Nov 2004 15:06

what a pile of poo!! i was 14 when the first one came out and it was done with a passion this isn't.it also starts with Chris Martin and Dido two people i really can't stand.bring back Duran Duran,Boy George and George Michael

Jack (Sahara)

Jack (Sahara) Report 16 Nov 2004 15:51

well I can't wait to hear it now. Will be listening to radio 2. I won't buy it whatever it sounds like - I'll just donate a bit to charity instead, I always get sick of hearing charity records. Jack

Sfk lady

Sfk lady Report 16 Nov 2004 15:53

Thought it sounded awful...

Lynne

Lynne Report 16 Nov 2004 16:02

Hi all Just a thought. Hopefully there will be something half decent on the 'B side'. Anyone know what else will be on there? Please don't say nothing! I've only heard it once today and hoping that it will grow on me. Lynne

Julie

Julie Report 16 Nov 2004 16:57

hi Andy oop north,this is Julie down south. l heard it on capitol radio this morning and think its crap.when the rap part came in at first l thought lt was a mistake and that another cd had been put on at the same time over the top.l think they should have left well alone.