General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What toilet paper do you use?? read on...

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 22 Nov 2004 18:32

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 22 Nov 2004 18:32

BOG STANDARD PAPER CALL British toilets are getting clogged up with luxury toilet paper and plumbers want a return to the bog standard stuff. High quality paper and moisture wipes are putting a strain on the nation's drains, according to a study from British Gas. The energy giant has a plumbing arm with 1.2 million customers and unblocked more than 35,000 toilets in the first six months of this year. It says that is a 10% increase on the same period last year. It believes modern toilet papers are partly to blame and commissioned research to find out how long it took different products to disintegrate in water. Independent scientific research firm Advantica found that "low price" toilet tissue from Sainsbury's took just three minutes to break up. A recycled variety from the same supermarket lasted a minute longer. At the other end of the scale, Kandoo moist wipes designed for children, failed to break down after five days. The same was true for moist wipes made by Andrex. Alan McLaughlin, spokesman for British Gas, said: "Our tests have revealed that some paper takes hours to disintegrate. This is resulting in our plumbers being called out more often. "It seems quite clear from these results that toilet paper specifically aimed at kids might be kind to them but could be putting real strain on your pipe work and drains." British Gas recently acquired Dyno Rod, the UK's largest emergency plumbing business.

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Nov 2004 18:57

Wasn't there a fuss about this in the Army at one time? The Officers got soft bog rolls and the Other Ranks got the hard shiny stuff.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 22 Nov 2004 19:06

Shall have to cut-down on the Andrex! Remember Gran having that St Izal, ouch :)

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Nov 2004 19:07

Just read the news about this in the Times today. Apparently Farmers Almanac was suited to the purpose and came with a pre-punched hole to hang it up by. During WW2 decorated paper came in, with Hitler's face on it. nell

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 22 Nov 2004 19:19

The only paper I would not recommend as toilet paper is .......sand paper!! The problem would be halved if all paper was used on both sides!!! lol Jacqui

Sprack

Sprack Report 22 Nov 2004 19:22

why does british gas unblock toilets ?

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 22 Nov 2004 20:08

When I was in the army our paper had the WD mark on it and Property of HM Government............... Only time you can Sh*t on the Government, and get away with it!

Sprack

Sprack Report 22 Nov 2004 20:22

we use the one with love yer bum written on it

Symon

Symon Report 22 Nov 2004 20:37

all sounds like a load of cr@p to me ;o)

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 22 Nov 2004 20:54

Bit of a problem though as I remember, if it was the latest edition - you did tend to end up (sorry unintentional pun!!) with the news on your bum!! News of the World was better, as it was a weekly paper!! and full of c..p anyway!! Jacqui

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 22 Nov 2004 20:57

Who would want to use recycled toilet paper anyway?

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 22 Nov 2004 21:00

Would you prefer no paper at all? lol Jacqui

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 22 Nov 2004 21:01

Rather none at all than some that has already been used once!!

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 22 Nov 2004 21:02

Yes Sue, we did, its strange how every thing in the army began with a "B" Boots blanco belts brasses brasso bedding battledress burgan even the RSM was a 'B'......still, I was only innit for the beer...........an the birds.LOL Recycled means that the paper has been used before,reconstituted and rebleached....NOT bog rolls reunited!!!!!!!!LOL

Ann

Ann Report 22 Nov 2004 21:03

Someone once stole the entire loo roll store at my hubby's place of work, how's that for mean! and there was rather a lot of it, the mind boggles as to how they got it all home!

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 22 Nov 2004 21:04

Ros, I agree with your sentiments, but I think re-cycled means that it is blemish free (or at least I hope it does) lol Jacqui

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Nov 2004 21:08

Haven't you tried Asda's washable yet?

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 22 Nov 2004 21:09

Does it do wonders for the finger-nails Jim?

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 22 Nov 2004 21:10

Bob, now I feel sorry for the poor guy that has to retrieve all that loo paper to recycle it. Sorry warped sense of humour.