General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help re irish birth certs

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Clare

Clare Report 27 Nov 2004 17:00

I am about to apply for my great grandfathers birth cert , i know his dob where born but i dont know his mothers name and it asks for this on the form. The whole point of getting a copy is so i can find this out. Has anyone else faced this and could i apply without this info??many thanks in advance.

Clare

Clare Report 27 Nov 2004 17:16

anyone???

Frances in Norwich

Frances in Norwich Report 27 Nov 2004 17:26

Clare, Have added to your thread as I have exactly the same problem, so haven`t applied for my gt granfathers cert. I would be interested to hear if anyone knows the answer! Frances

Paul

Paul Report 27 Nov 2004 17:29

Let me check it out for you. Are you applying north or south of the border? Paul

Pat

Pat Report 27 Nov 2004 17:32

Clare I'm afraid its incredibly hard sorting out irish Certs, and if you are getting the right one. Unless people know exactly where in Ireland and I am not talking just County but what's called Township or Townland you can never be sure you have the right one, there isnt even census from the 1800's to help you identify people and places. The only thing I can suggest you do is find out if the LDS have recorded anything that may help you, but please be warned if it's a common name there will be 100's of entries and any of them could be yours. Sorry if it seems gloomy. Pat x

Frances in Norwich

Frances in Norwich Report 27 Nov 2004 17:40

Paul, I am looking for Limerick, I have the year and fathers name and possible mothers name(not confirmed) but thats as far as it goes. Clare, sorry to hijack your thread! Frances

Clare

Clare Report 27 Nov 2004 17:47

Hi i know he was called james roantree born 5th nov 1881 in rinsend dublin, surely this would be enough info??

Clare

Clare Report 27 Nov 2004 17:52

just bouncing xxx

Paul

Paul Report 27 Nov 2004 17:54

Where did you find that info Clare? Paul

Clare

Clare Report 27 Nov 2004 17:56

from my father, his grandson, also same name lol xx

Anne

Anne Report 27 Nov 2004 18:30

Claire I just applied for my grandfathers birth cert. online, like you I had dob and fathers name but not mothers name so I just put a load of question marks where her name should have been, groni searched and phoned me up to confirm if they had found the correct one and hey presto I received his birth certificate, I think it costs £5.00 for them to do a search for you, well worth a try. I hope that makes sense to you, I'm not too good at explaining things lol Lynda

Clare

Clare Report 27 Nov 2004 18:53

that is reasuring to know, many thanks. Can i ask how are you carrying the search on from here? If i do find out who my great great grandparents are , how can i trace their birth certs with no dates?

Paul

Paul Report 27 Nov 2004 19:26

I did some checking around and have found that if you have most of the details, it should not be a major problem. Also (hanging my head in embarassment), I remembered that I ordered one from the Record Office here in the north without having a father's name (namely because his name was never divulged), and received it alright. Paul

Frances in Norwich

Frances in Norwich Report 27 Nov 2004 20:32

Clare, Where are you applying for the birth cert? Not sure which is the best method to follow. I am willing to give it a go with the information I have but unsure who best to contact. Any advice welcome. Frances

Anne

Anne Report 27 Nov 2004 21:18

I don't know where you live Clare, but I think the best way to do irish research, when you have hardly any info is probably to visit Ireland yourself, kill two birds with one stone, do some research and have a brill time, Dublin or Belfast great cities, helpful lovely people and the pubs are just grand lol. Lynda

Pat

Pat Report 27 Nov 2004 21:26

I agree you'll have a great time visiting Pubs and the sites. One place that is not enjoyable is the Dublin GRO office, it's a nightmare it can be costly and and can also be fruitless. I say go for the Pubs, the Crack or whatever forget Dublin for research, unless your Irish lot have VERY unusual names or you have nearly all the info yourself, then there isnt any point. Oh and you may also forget it if they are Kelly Murphy, and any with 'O' at the beginning of their name. Believe me I have visited that GRO office, but never again. Pat x

Frances in Norwich

Frances in Norwich Report 27 Nov 2004 22:07

Thanks guys for all your help

Tanwen

Tanwen Report 1 Jan 2005 23:37

Is it pointless trying to look for a certificate without exact date or place of birth!? It is not a common name, Constance Mary Tuckwell was born 1908/09, I know her fathers name was Thomas and was an electrician but no more and as I think they emigrated to London about 1910 I'm at a dead end, has anyone got any ideas what I can try? Thanks.

Michael

Michael Report 2 Jan 2005 11:24

Sorry to butt in here, Just to say I agree its good to go over the water and have a nice time in the pubs etc. but I also recommend a visit to the GRO in Dublin. The staff are really helpful and bend over backwards for you. I didn't get what I was looking for but I enjoyed my visit and plan to go again. Re visiting the town your family originated from that to is a spooky experience....And I didn't get there either! The closest I got was to Kilrush,Co Clare where I know my great grandad lived in 1870/80. Its a weird feeling and it's still early days in my reseach yet.

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 2 Jan 2005 13:04

I downloaded and then sent by post the application form for an Irish 1908 birth certificate. I didn't know the mother's name but did know the village and date and I received the right one from Dublin.