General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

IN CASE PEOPLE HAVE FORGOTTEN WHAT ADVENT IS ALL A

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Dec 2004 11:16

see below

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Dec 2004 11:16

Oh my Goodness God, is this what you had in mind?" [12-5-03] Dateline: Anywhere USA Headline: DVD players $30 Oh my Goodness God, is this what you had in mind? People getting up at 5am to be at a store by 6 to be with thousands to buy dvd players for 30 dollars. (which in most places were sold out by 6:05) Is this what Christmas is all about? I don't THINK so. Headline: Woman trampled in W-mart trying to buy DVD player. Good news, they put one on reserve for her. O My Goodness God, is this what you had in mind? I don't THINK so! When you sent your Son to be born in a stable so that all would be invited and no doors could keep anyone out - all could come and see your child? AND no doors could keep anyone in - time to go out and share the good news of great joy which has come to ALL people? Insert Magnificat... you know... release to the captives, sight to the blind... Insert the Sermon on the Mount... consider the lilies of the field... Insert... Scripture about Jesus of your choice... So as we light the candles, and mark the days, and anticipate Jesus' birth, let's keep life in perspective -- We've already received the greatest gift ever. Now go and share that around! God Abide Bobbie McGarey Southwest Oklahoma Parish

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Dec 2004 11:17

Thanks She, you are so right. Mandy :) x

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 1 Dec 2004 11:26

Chrimbo lost it's appeal years ago.... so now i try and buy presents that the seller will donate money to charity.... Not doing Crimbo cards this year.... sending out "Cyril" bookmarks instead!! :O)

Marie

Marie Report 1 Dec 2004 11:32

AND A HAPPY TIME WAS HAD BY ALL ....... JUST THINKING OF EVERYBODY, SO ENJOY WHAT YOU CAN,WHEN YOU CAN. GOD BLESS TO ONE AND ALL. THANKS, FOR THAT SHE !!!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Dec 2004 11:33

I know full well what advent is about. it's about opening little cardboard flaps to remove small tasteless chocolates.

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Dec 2004 11:35

Oooh Chunky, you cynic! Mandy :) x

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Dec 2004 11:38

a cynic and an atheist to boot lol

Linda

Linda Report 1 Dec 2004 12:08

iF YOU ARE AN ATHEIST DOES THAT MEAN THAT YOU WON'T BE CELEBRATING CHRISTMAS AT ALL

Joy

Joy Report 1 Dec 2004 12:43

Advent is about the coming of Christ - the approaching of the birthday of Jesus ... Christmas. Don't buy presents for one another or for anyone else, or send Christmas cards if you don't want to celebrate Christmas! ... stir ... :-) :) Joy

Marie

Marie Report 1 Dec 2004 13:44

what,s the matter with good old peace and harmony, the giving and shareing ????

Lisa

Lisa Report 1 Dec 2004 13:47

my husband is an atheist but he still expects presentsxxxx(:

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Dec 2004 13:47

Linda. My family are Christians. They will buy me gifts, and I will buy them some in return. My sisters boyfriend is a Muslim. The family will also buy him gifts. Thats all it is to me though I'm afraid, custom. You're perfectly entitled to your beliefs.. as am I.

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 1 Dec 2004 13:51

To me xmas is about remembering how lucky you are, there are a lot of people in the world that are not as fortunate as us. I don't believe in religion, however I do believe in a lot of what the bible says. Even in the bible it's all about someone who did a lot for the people of that time, to give people hope and to fight for what you believe in. Surely that's what xmas is about and you don't have to believe in god for that. Nicola xxx

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Dec 2004 13:51

Well said Nicola.

Marie

Marie Report 1 Dec 2004 13:54

HOW TRUE NICOLA..... glad to know we are thinking of other,s and not just ourselves...

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Dec 2004 14:00

I agree Nicola - people are too materialistic - even if they do not follow any religion - being Humanitarian is really what matters at the end of the day isnt it.

Marie

Marie Report 1 Dec 2004 14:07

AND SO SAY ALL OF US........ LOL LOL

Jack (Sahara)

Jack (Sahara) Report 1 Dec 2004 15:21

I'm not really religious but I think Christmas is when we make time to catch up with family and friends and get to forget about work for a week or two. It's time to relax and have fun with people you love. I'm looking forward to it. I don't bother with an advent calender, just count down days left to work LOL

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Dec 2004 15:36

Forget about work for a week or two ? lucky you ! I get 2 days lol