General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fish tank water

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Daniel

Daniel Report 9 Dec 2004 21:04

How do you change yours? Any special equipment you use?

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 9 Dec 2004 21:05

Daniel - just don't drink it! Jacqui

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 9 Dec 2004 21:07

weve got an underwater filter. every so often we just top it up when gets low mind you our tank hasnt got fish in it,its got aquatic frogs lol susie

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 9 Dec 2004 21:08

Daniel, I use the same hi tech equipment as Linda We do have a filter and pump, so it doesn't need done too often. Christine

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 9 Dec 2004 21:08

I used to siphon some out, into a bucket,taking the muck off the bottom. and replacing it about two gallons at a time.........

Daniel

Daniel Report 9 Dec 2004 21:08

When it gets low? Where is the water going?

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 9 Dec 2004 21:09

Evaporation

Daniel

Daniel Report 9 Dec 2004 21:09

What are you siphoning with? I'm having to use a bucket at the minute and everytime I wonder,` is there an easier way?`

Daniel

Daniel Report 9 Dec 2004 21:11

Yes I know about evaporation :-). Just my fish tank always seems to stay full.

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Dec 2004 21:12

Not me guys, I'm 21st century. I have no fishtank but Feeding Frenzy as a Screensaver. Dooley loves it.

Ann

Ann Report 9 Dec 2004 21:14

Daniel you can buy siphons in pet shops- I found that if I put it too close to the bottom it would pull up a load of gravel too- so I now also use a plastic bottle and a bucket. funny how the simple ways are often the best.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 9 Dec 2004 21:14

A piece of 5/16 -3/8 dia tubing should be ok........my tank used to hold about 35 gallons,so the water change 2-3 gallons,was not too much of a shock.........ps as my son used to say dont drink the water the phish, phuk in in it!

Daniel

Daniel Report 9 Dec 2004 21:16

Looks like a visit to Waterworld is in order. And on that note Bob thanks for the tips :-)

Joan

Joan Report 9 Dec 2004 21:17

Daniel, when we used to have tropical fish, my mum used a clear piece of plastic tubing about three ft. long.(flexible) . You have to put one end down on the gravel , where most of the dirt lies, SUCK a bit till the water rises in the pipe, SPIT quickly and put the end that was in your mouth into a bucket THe bucket MUST be at a lower level that the bottom of the tank. pou can then hover out the soiled debrtis or empty the whole tank -Does this make any sense? It did work , I promise! Joan

Daniel

Daniel Report 9 Dec 2004 21:20

Joan your saying suck up filthy fish muck through a tube untill it almost, (and knowing me will) get into my mouth and then pour the rest into a bucket?

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 9 Dec 2004 21:20

Joan, technique sounds familiar!!!!!!!!go for it!!! Daniel if you are squeamish, fill the tube first, from the tap........holding a finger over the end until you have the tube in position,........

Joan

Joan Report 9 Dec 2004 21:24

Basically that is it in anutshell! Once you have done the first nasty sucking, bit the rest is easy as the water will keep on pi**ing out of the tube til youput your thumb over the end . At least thats what it loked like to me as a young girl! Aw heck! I'm still a young girl, only44. Want me to send Mum round to your house?!

Daniel

Daniel Report 9 Dec 2004 21:26

I prefer the pet shop idea to be honest. They should invent some sort of built in water shifting device thingy! Save all the hassle

Geoff

Geoff Report 9 Dec 2004 22:18

If there is a suitable thread for this information (and I have some doubts), then this must be the one - I have seen a fish have a pee! While I was unhooking an eel which I had caught, a jet of water shot out of its vent.

Karen

Karen Report 11 Dec 2004 01:02

I know you have to be registered with your water company for them to give you updates as to what they are putting in the water supply... and if you dont register with them you will have no idea and so the fish may die.