General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bernie

Bernie Report 30 Dec 2004 21:50

Hi all, Can anyone give me some advice? I am new to family tree searching and keep getting stuck! I have managed to find my dads birth but his mothers maiden name is coming up blank. (SOIKES) I really would love to trace my grandparents as they died before I was born. Any tips? Any advice will be greatly received. Happy New Year to all. Bernie x

Val

Val Report 30 Dec 2004 21:53

have sent you email xxxx

Bernie

Bernie Report 30 Dec 2004 21:54

Many Thanks Val

Bernie

Bernie Report 30 Dec 2004 22:02

Thanks Maz, It's all a bit scary actually! Haven't got a clue!

sandra rogers

sandra rogers Report 30 Dec 2004 22:24

hiya bernice i have some credit left on 1837 i could look for you but i need names roughly years and district x

Big Shaz

Big Shaz Report 30 Dec 2004 22:25

Hi Bernice and Welcome to the site :-) Shaz x

Bernie

Bernie Report 30 Dec 2004 22:48

Thks Shaz, & Sandra help would be great, I have someone else offering me help as well wat a brill site, I will send you details. Many Thanks Bernie xx

chezzy

chezzy Report 30 Dec 2004 22:51

hi bernice,welcome to the site..its full of lovely people who'll help you loads.just ask if your stuck someone will always help ya out where possible.happy hunting cherie.x

Bernie

Bernie Report 30 Dec 2004 22:54

Thanks Cherie & have a happy new year. B x

nanny Bunchkin

nanny Bunchkin Report 31 Dec 2004 00:12

hi bernice welcome and happy new year. debs.x

Caroline

Caroline Report 31 Dec 2004 00:18

Hi welcome to the site, good luck

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Dec 2004 00:23

What is your grandmother's first name and when did she have your dad? do you have her husband's name? nell

Bernie

Bernie Report 31 Dec 2004 09:37

Thanks to all for reassuring messages. I am beginning to think that there may be a light at the end of a very long tunnel! I never realised Geneology could be so tiring. Hope you all have a good new years eve, take care B x

helenbell

helenbell Report 31 Dec 2004 09:42

Hello Bernice, nice to meet you i am Helen, i am sure we will be chatting regulaly(wrong spelling) Love Helenxx

Bernie

Bernie Report 31 Dec 2004 09:44

Thks Helen, It's gonna be hard enuf remembering all the names on here, let alone looking for ancestors! hehe. I can't beleive every1 is up so early (I can talk!) Sorry about the shortening of words, I'm not quite awake yet I have only had 4 cups of Tea.!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Dec 2004 09:47

Hi Bernie and welcome! Don't forget we were all new once, but it doesn't take long to get into it all. Six months down the line and you will be handing out advice yourself!! Enjoy your new hobby - tiring yes, but very addictive also! This is a really good site and everyone will try to help wherever they can. Mandy :)

Bernie

Bernie Report 31 Dec 2004 09:52

Thks Mandi, My husband is already talking about getting the doctor in for me. ( I have the geneology bug and need to go to hospital to get the keyboard surgically removed from my fingers!! LOL) Mind you at leaset all the boring housework and stuff is getting done quick so I can get on the computer. Yesterday everything was done by late morning and I was logged on. It's never been heard of!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Dec 2004 10:28

LOL Bernie - I know what you mean! The other day, my mum asked me what the mark was on my wrist ..... erm, it's a friction burn from the mousemat (honest!!). Mandy :)

Bernie

Bernie Report 31 Dec 2004 15:23

Thks CB, I might just be calling on you for help. Have tried LDS website but am pretty useless at knowing where to start feel like a bit of a plank really!!! Every1 does keep saying it will get easier.

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Dec 2004 15:26

Bernice It does! Before you know it you will be posting advice to others! As you said in your e-mail to me, you are awaiting your father's birth cert. Once you get that it will give you some more leads - the important thing is to work from what you KNOW. The LDS site has the 1881 census, and lots of parish records, but I think you have a long way to go before you get back there. Once you've got your father's parents parents, you will probably be able to search the 1901 census and so on. One step at a time and please ask for help. People on this site are amazing! nell