General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Archbishop of Canterbury admits: This makes me dou

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Daniel

Daniel Report 2 Jan 2005 23:17

Does it you?

Joy

Joy Report 2 Jan 2005 23:19

Those were not his exact words, Daniel. Joy

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 2 Jan 2005 23:19

Mother nature did the deed, not god I assume. Some will live and some will die. The world will continue to turn. Elaine x

Daniel

Daniel Report 2 Jan 2005 23:19

I'll fix it Joy

Daniel

Daniel Report 2 Jan 2005 23:20

"The question, How can you believe in a God who permits suffering on this scale?"

Joy

Joy Report 2 Jan 2005 23:24

Someone found the following words scribbled on the wall of a Nazi concentration camp at the close of World War II: I believe in the sun, even when it is not shining. I believe in love, even when I cannot feel it. I believe in God, even when He is silent.

PolperroPrincess

PolperroPrincess Report 2 Jan 2005 23:29

Daniel...I dont necessary believe in God but, strange as it may seem, at times like this I wish I do! People talk of the "comfort" they get from their religion, of a knowing that they are not alone in these sad times.

Joy

Joy Report 2 Jan 2005 23:33

Quoted from online Telegraph(.)co(.)uk: "In a deeply personal and candid article, he says "it would be wrong" if faith were not "upset" by the catastrophe which has already claimed more than 150,000 lives. Dr Rowan Williams: Prayer provides no 'magical solutions' Prayer, he admits, provides no "magical solutions" and most of the stock Christian answers to human suffering do not "go very far in helping us, one week on, with the intolerable grief and devastation in front of us". Dr Williams, who, as head of the Church of England, represents 70 million Anglicans around the world, writes: "Every single random, accidental death is something that should upset a faith bound up in comfort and ready answers. Faced with the paralysing magnitude of a disaster like this, we naturally feel more deeply outraged - and also more deeply helpless." He adds: "The question, 'How can you believe in a God who permits suffering on this scale?' is therefore very much around at the moment, and it would be surprising if it weren't - indeed it would be wrong if it weren't." Dr Williams concludes that, faced with such a terrible challenge to their faith, Christians must focus on "passionate engagement with the lives that are left"." I think that the last paragraph quoted is very important. Joy

Alice

Alice Report 2 Jan 2005 23:49

CB....... There is a scientific theory (widely excepted) that matter cannot be created or destroyed it just changes form solid to gas to liquid to energy etc. It has been postulated in some scientific circles that "souls" are a form of energy and as such cannot be destroyed at death either.

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Jan 2005 23:51

Generally people either have faith in God or they don't. When terrible things happen people question their beliefs. When the plague arrived in Britain, it forced people to question the idea of God - many thought (as people did when AIDS arrived) that God was using disease to punish evil-doing and sinfulness. Some turned to self-flagellation to appease Him. Others questioned the necessity of confession if when you were dying there was no priest to confess to. I personally don't believe in God as a father-figure, but I do believe there are strong forces which can act for good or evil, over which people have no control. Believing in God is some people's way of regaining control over things they can't understand. But as an earlier poster said, belief in God can provide comfort to people and I'm all for that. nell

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 3 Jan 2005 00:10

In a twisted and terrible way though, something good HAS come out of this terrible catastrophe. It has made the world a smaller place and it has made most of the world realise that there is but one Race on earth and that is the Human Race. I posted another thread earlier about how proud I have been of Britain in the last few days, raising an enormous sum of money to try to help people we shall never know. This is an expression of all that is most wonderful about human beings, their ability to feel compassion for others, even strangers. That can only be a "Force for Good" at work. I often doubt the existence of God and think "Where was God when this was happening?". I recently read a line in a book which said "What kind of being is this God who perpetrates or permits such random acts of malice?" I understand that this was a natural disaster, but if God is the Creator, he could have stopped it.

Big Shaz

Big Shaz Report 3 Jan 2005 00:15

The same thing was said to me when I was told that my daughter would die. I had always sort of believed in God but never prayed much or anything like that but that night I prayed.. I requested the obvious... let her live!! Then I said that if she must die I was requesting that he take her into his care! I look at the disaster and yes it is a tragedy and it has saddened me but no it hasnt made me question God. Shaz x

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Jan 2005 00:20

Daniel, It depends on your religion. In simplistic terms, the Christian God is portrayed as kind and caring, but the Jewish God is portrayed as rather unforgiving. Buddhists believe suffering is part of life, and Pagans believe in the power of nature. To put it crudely - you pays your money........ Whatever a persons religion/non religion or belief - the first and foremost thought must surely be to help the survivors maggie

Alice

Alice Report 3 Jan 2005 00:28

With respect, the average Christian ( Im mean a practising bible reading and believing one Not a weddings and funerals only one)would consider that they worship the same God as Jews. We believe the messiah has come and as a result have the new testament to live by They believe that the messiah is still to come and are under the laws of the Old testament. P.S. Im not a believe what I do or your off to hell type :) honest

Alice

Alice Report 3 Jan 2005 00:35

Your idea seems to fit with the Gaia theory first postulated in the 70's. The earth as one organic being.

Big Shaz

Big Shaz Report 3 Jan 2005 00:44

I sort of agree with Stu although I do believe in God and no doubt I'll be hung drawn and quatered for this next comment ... so I'll say first that I think the loss of so many has been terrible and I personally am saddened by the amount of innocent people who have lost their lives and homes and loved ones etc. But as for the Archbishop.... Well this guy probably preached at some point in his life about Soddom and Gomora (or whatever its called) and also the Flood and Noahs Ark... werent these also terrible tragedies of an earlier time that wiped out so many?? If the Archbishop has read the 'Good Book' then why has it taken him so long to question Gods existence? Shaz x

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Jan 2005 00:45

Too true Alice. High Anglican (Cof E) study both the old and new Testament - and so do Moslems. Buddhism and Sikhism come out of Hinduism so have similar basic beliefs as well. All 'basic' religions believe suffering is part of life. Generally the more you suffer in this life - the better your life in the next world. ps I have no religion, no axe to grind, just wish people didn't have to suffer and send positive thoughts to the survivors. maggie

Alice

Alice Report 3 Jan 2005 00:54

The koran actually differs greatly from the bible it states many things about Jesus life and death that are considered blasphemy. They also say in the koran that in the end times their God will rule for seven years. In our bible it states that the ANTICHRIST will rule for seven years. If you believe the new testament as written you will know that it states that we share a God with Jews only no other religon. DISCLAIMER: I absolutely recognise the right of people to worship a different God to me. Or a "power" or whatever. I'm just clarifying that they are not reading the same holy book to us not even similar

Alice

Alice Report 3 Jan 2005 01:05

As far as I'm aware there is only one officially recognised version. But then I'm not muslim I can ask my friend tommrow she's escaped iranian. But hey if you know something do share. You have piqued my interest. ( You aren't talking about the whole raisins/virgins arguement are you?) Come on share this threads more interesting than most

Big Shaz

Big Shaz Report 3 Jan 2005 01:05

I didnt say that I believed in the bible I am saying that the Archbishop obviously believes in it. Lets go back in time and say that the soddom and gommora thing happened.... wouldnt the newspapers have been full of reports saying that it was a catastrophy and such a waste of innocent life etc. Yet the Archbishop would say... oh God did that to clean things up... Shaz x