General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

OBSESSIONS!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Clare

Clare Report 4 Jan 2005 21:30

DO YOU HAVE ANY OBSESSIONS?I HAVE AN OBSESSION WITH CLEANING AND BLEACH.DRIVES MY HUSBAND MAD BUT I CAN'T HELP IT.I HAVE TO CLEAN!!!!!!WHAT ARE YOUR OBSESSIONS? KEEP IT CLEAN!

Essex Baz

Essex Baz Report 4 Jan 2005 21:31

Finding someone to come and `clean` my car, Baz

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Jan 2005 21:34

Obsessed with 'Refreshing' General Topics Board - even though I have read and re-read all.........tired, must get to bed......O.K. just one more 'refresh' to see what's been added.

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 4 Jan 2005 21:35

I don't think I have one. I saw a programme on channel five recently about obsessive compulsive disorder. Lucia :-)

Clare

Clare Report 4 Jan 2005 21:37

yes i suffer from OCD.but i don't admit it very often,only when i look at the empty bleach bottles and realise how much i have used!

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ*

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ* Report 4 Jan 2005 21:38

I'm sure I read recently that the over use of cleaning products and in particular bleach, is being blamed for the massive increase in children with asthma. Dee x

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 4 Jan 2005 21:39

Clare, for the people on the programme the obsession seemed to take over their lives, it was so sad, Lucia

Clare

Clare Report 4 Jan 2005 21:41

mine isn't too bad.mainly the kitchen and bathrooms have to be clean.tins in the cupboard have to face the right way.i have 5 children and none of mine are asthmatic!all of mine are fairly healthy

Emma

Emma Report 4 Jan 2005 21:42

I have an obsession with checking the cooker is off!!!! Drives fella mad, but i get really paranoid.

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust***

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust*** Report 4 Jan 2005 21:46

i read about the asthma link few years ago , decided to cut down on cleaning, plus the fact hubby still went round checking for dust, helped with my decision, however daughter is now 18 and hasnt changed her asthma plus she wont use wipes very often to clean her room

Debbie

Debbie Report 4 Jan 2005 21:53

I used to have and obsession for about 7 years, if ever I went out I would have to go back to check I had shut the door and have to keep pulling it. And going to bed was a nightmare it would take me about an hour to get there. I would have to check all the doors were locked but have to keep going back to check about 10 times, and then have to keep pushing the fridge door to make sure it was shut, and then the kitchen window. and the 4 gas knobs I would count and touch them up to 20 and if I didnt touch them right I would have to start again in the end it would be about 5 times. and then when I turned the lights out to get to the stairs I ould have to touch the switch 10 times then go back into the kitchen to make sure the door was shut. When finaly I reached upstairs I would have to keep touching the taps to make sure they wasnt turned on, in bed I would check about 10 times that my alarm was on. And if I ever had to get up for something I would have to go through the routine again. I moved about 6 weeks ago and I dont do now, I do sometimes go back and make sure the doors are locked. but I havnt started on the cooker yet. And I can honestly say it dosnt bother me anymore I can go to bed in about 10 minutes. Debbie

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Jan 2005 23:18

I haven't got OCD but I'm quite obsessive about cleanliness and hygiene, which is linked to a particularly bad phobia of mine. Which I'm sorry to say I'm far too embarassed to admit in public as I see it as a sign of weakness. My GP and I - with family support - are working on it and I'm improving though. Mandy :)

Clare

Clare Report 4 Jan 2005 23:22

mandy,i'm glad you are getting help.i'm too frightened to.think people think i'm mad

Clare

Clare Report 4 Jan 2005 23:31

my sister use to take the mick all the time,when we were out shopping she use to say 10 bottles of bleach today and laugh.one day she did it in asda and i thumped her.she hasn't done it since.i see red straight away if people take the mick,its usually down to them being ignorant or insecure about it.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 5 Jan 2005 08:05

Unless it affects the wellbeing of yourself or someone else I suppose our obsessions can sometimes be the little quirks that make us, us, if you see what I mean. If I've been shopping or handling money at any time I HAVE to wash my hands. I can't bear my hands to have to remain sticky either. It doesn't bother me getting them messy anytime, or dirty when gardening, ( when I don't wear gloves)so it's not an anti dirt compulsion and once washed, that's it, sorted.

helenbell

helenbell Report 5 Jan 2005 08:59

My obsession is washing, i love to do my washing and hang it on the line, see it blow, then when i bring it in i love folding it, it smells lovely, i would kill anyone who touches my washing, then i love to iron it, brings back memories of my mum hanging out the washing, she used a wringer, and her washing was always lovely nice clean lovely bed sheets bliss Love Helenxx

Andy

Andy Report 5 Jan 2005 09:04

er, buying cds...

Poolmaster

Poolmaster Report 5 Jan 2005 09:31

any of you ladies are more than welcome to come tackle my washing basket! dont think ive ever seen the bottom of it! lol!

helenbell

helenbell Report 5 Jan 2005 09:31

at last Jude!!! you dont think i am mad at all do you??? everyone else does lol Love Helenxx

Ann

Ann Report 5 Jan 2005 10:52

Helen, my mum also loves doing the washing , she will hang it out even if there is only an hours break in the bad weather. She loves it dried on the line. Not only that , she always stops to look if she notices someone else with washing out- she says there is nothing nicer than the sight clean washing drying on a line. She has her own special way of hanging it and folds it obsessively. She gets exasperated with me because I don't share her interest in clothes washing!!! Still, as someone has already said- as long as it is harmless, what does it matter?