General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Establishing contact - fingers crossed! **UPDATE**

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andy

Andy Report 10 Jan 2005 21:02

Last year after much searching and purchasing of certificates, I managed to track down the movements of my dad's late uncle and in doing so, discovered a son. In other words, I found a cousin, my dad never knew he had. Unfortunately, I discovered that this cousin died ten years ago but with a bit of help from one or two GR members and the use of the electoral roll, we managed to locate his widow. With slight trepidation, I finally got round to constructing a letter this weekend just gone, in order to establish contact with his widow to see if she can help our knowledge further and hopefully we can share further information with her. Although Cook is a common enough surname, it feels somewhat weird knowing there is another branch of your family out there with the same surname. Just keeping my fingers firmly crossed that after coming this far, we don't fall at the final hurdle! Andy.

Samantha

Samantha Report 10 Jan 2005 21:04

hope it works out fine andy sam : )

Caroline

Caroline Report 10 Jan 2005 21:10

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Good Luck Caroline

June

June Report 10 Jan 2005 21:16

Andy, Fingers and everything else crossed. June xx

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 10 Jan 2005 21:23

Good luck Andy Jeanette x

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 10 Jan 2005 22:01

Wow Andy! Keeping everything crossed for you, let us know how you get on. Kim -))))

Rick

Rick Report 10 Jan 2005 22:04

Good luck Andy mate. Jan & Rick.xx (kisses from jan obviously lol)

Glenys the Menace!

Glenys the Menace! Report 10 Jan 2005 22:22

Good luck Andy! Glenys x

Andy

Andy Report 11 Jan 2005 08:07

Thanks everyone. We also discovered last year that my dad's youngest uncle had at least 3 children as well, so there are more cousins that dad never knew about. One of my next goals is try and track down their whereabouts, if I can, which could be tricky as they've all got common enough names.

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 11 Jan 2005 08:53

Good Luck Andy.I am really struggling with a link on my tree.Rose

Anne

Anne Report 11 Jan 2005 08:55

Good luck Andy, fingers crossed for you

Joy

Joy Report 11 Jan 2005 10:38

fingers crossed! :) Joy

Carolyn

Carolyn Report 11 Jan 2005 11:48

Good luck Andy its great when you get a result. Carol

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 11 Jan 2005 20:56

Hope all goes well for you Andy :)

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 11 Jan 2005 22:01

good luck sweetheart....

Andy

Andy Report 17 Jan 2005 20:42

Well, good news...no, correction, excellent news, we received contact from my relative today. I was out at work but dad took the call and spent 45 mins chatting to her and she was absolutely delighted that we had made contact. I had included a small, scaled down version of the family tree just to show the link between the two sides of our family and she told my dad that she and her daughter were absolutely fascinated by it. Apparently, dad's cousin (her late husband) knew very little about his family, and often told her that he wished he knew a lot more than he did - sadly he never got to find out. Hopefully this will now pave the way for further communication, but am just so thankful that we've achieved our ultimate goal and I'm over the moon, right now. It must have been the day for good news, because I phoned my aunt to let her know that we've made contact with her cousin's family, and she was able to tell me that she hopes to become a great grandmum again in July! Andy.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 17 Jan 2005 20:48

Excellent news Andy! I'm pleased for you Jeanette x

Annie in

Annie in Report 17 Jan 2005 20:53

Andy, I'm so pleased it turned out so well for you. I have been looking for Dad's cousin for nearly 2 years with no luck. I have to be quite discrete though as my gt uncle [Dad's cousin's Dad!] is still alive and I don't know how he would feel about it. If we try to talk about his Son to him he changes the subject. He is 85 in February, and he hasn't seen him since he was a baby when his wife took the lad back to Ireland. It seems weird thinking there is another Cowdrey out there so closely related. Sorry to waffle on, but your situation is so close to mine I had to tell you!!!!!! I'm very pleased you had such a successful outcome. Well done!

Glenys the Menace!

Glenys the Menace! Report 17 Jan 2005 20:58

Crumbs, Andy - that's fantastic news, all of it! Bet you're celebrating now, Oop North! Glenys.

Helen in Berkshire

Helen in Berkshire Report 18 Jan 2005 00:07

Andy Great to hear your good news - you deserve it!