General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is this your only hobby?

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andy

Andy Report 12 Jan 2005 20:43

Genealogy I mean. I'll kick off by saying I also restore and ride 1950 and 60's mopeds, (yes we do get accused of a little madness!), do a bit of watercolour painting, go fishing and fly radio controlled gliders. No time for working!

Tracy

Tracy Report 12 Jan 2005 20:45

latch hook is my other hobby very relaxing too

Joan

Joan Report 12 Jan 2005 20:45

Andy, I like watercolour painting too, but always find excuses not to do it, getting started is do hard and the fear of failure..oh dear! Sounds awful but I do enjoy it when the outcome is a surprising success. Joan.x.

Anne

Anne Report 12 Jan 2005 20:48

I like reading, walking the dog and going to the pub, but not in that order lol

Andy

Andy Report 12 Jan 2005 20:50

I know exactly what you mean Joan! I've just done a painting to request, a picture of my daughters partner riding his motorcycle round the hairpin at Mallory park. I was dreading it, but I've ended up really pleased!

Clare

Clare Report 12 Jan 2005 20:51

i like cooking,swimming,playing badminton(which i am very good at)decorating and annoying my husband

Andy

Andy Report 12 Jan 2005 20:52

Tracy, what's latch hook?

Joan

Joan Report 12 Jan 2005 20:55

That sounds very challenging Andy! but what a great feeling when its framed and somone else really likes it too! I stick to more etheral subjects like tres, mist ,rain and skies, harder for people tp say "thats not right -the window should be on the left " I hate that kind of comment! Joan

Julie

Julie Report 12 Jan 2005 21:02

hi my other hobby is looking after my horse's, although it was'nt much injoyment for me today, as both my shetlands planned an escape route through the fence, down the lane to the next available grazing plot !!!. along side family history, i have no more time for any more. julie.

Tracy

Tracy Report 12 Jan 2005 21:07

andy, latch hook, is making rugs from kits, with lengths of wool, using a pattern. lol

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust***

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust*** Report 12 Jan 2005 21:11

i like knitting but cant find time to do it, cant concentrate, id love to do latch hook, that sounds good, where did you get the kit tracey

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 12 Jan 2005 21:12

Mine is embroidery,,,cooking and making and furnishing a dolls house,, If i go anywhere to do resech i always manage to find a sewing sho or one thats sells miniture stuff for the wee house,,

Tracy

Tracy Report 12 Jan 2005 21:14

julie anne, i usually buy mine from John Lewis, they have a good range of designs. they range in price from about £10 to anything upto about £50, depending on what design you want, mine are animals.

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust***

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust*** Report 12 Jan 2005 21:17

id love to make rugs, i did a hairdressing course when i was 18 (sooo long ago) part of the course was wig making, loved doing the knotting also my dads mum used to knit and when he was a kid she knitted a stair carpet , he said it lasted well, must be in me genes

Tracy

Tracy Report 12 Jan 2005 21:21

you should give it a try julie anne, start with a small one, and if you enjoy it, then buy bigger. its a great feeling of satisfaction when you see the finished product, knowing you made it.

Andy

Andy Report 12 Jan 2005 21:21

Marion, I started with photography when I was a teenager in the sixties. I also love walking, last Feb we climbed Helvelyn as far as Red Tarn. Unfortunately my hip has given up the ghost and I'm now waiting for a tin one, but when that's done I hope to get back to walking.

Joy

Joy Report 12 Jan 2005 21:22

No. I like reading - sometimes about family history! I like listening to all sorts of music. I like walking very much, in the countryside and by the sea. I like learning languages. I like going on holiday and swimming in the warm sunshine. I like watching football. Joy (red 'n' blue)

Angela

Angela Report 12 Jan 2005 21:23

hi i am trying to learn to play the guitar I think ive just played mull of kintyre

A. Neil

A. Neil Report 12 Jan 2005 21:26

Hi andy. I love Photography, watercolour painting and building things. :-) Neil

Andy

Andy Report 12 Jan 2005 21:31

Neil, building things? bricks and that? Sounds like work! But I do like getting out in my workshop hacking, bashing and doing things with metal - mostly on the old bikes I restore. I've collected lots of kit over the years, now I can turn, mill, weld, braze, spray paint, almost anything I need I can make!