General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Should drugs be legalised?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Martin

Martin Report 13 Jan 2005 13:19

There is much debate on the subject and a TV programme on it last night. I reckon drugs should be legalised on a restrictive basis. It will certainly cut drugs related crime down and help take the huge business from the criminals. It is obvious the current system is just not working!!! Martin

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Jan 2005 13:33

NO, NO. AND THRICE NO! bryan.

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 13 Jan 2005 13:44

I already have one son with a burned out brain due to drug abuse twenty years ago.Drug taking is not something you can dabble in and think you can give up when you like.My son has been clean for years but still has flash-backs,sweats where he soaks the bed and paranoia,and these are just a few of the problems he lives with daily.He deeply regrets his stupidity when he was a teenager and in his twenties.It is now too late,the damage has been done.No DRUGS SHOULD NOT BE LEGALISED.I have seen the results of drug abuse-Rose

Daniel

Daniel Report 13 Jan 2005 13:57

Cannabis is the most frequently used drug, with around 3 million having used it in the last year. In 2002/03, the total number of violent offences in England & Wales was 2,781,000 Should we allow violent offences just because the figures are high too? It would save money and reduce overall crime figures. Of course not, same with legalising drugs. It is a problem which needs to be stamped out, not toleratred. (Figures from the Home Office)

Merlin

Merlin Report 13 Jan 2005 14:00

No.And all people who deal/Import etc. Should be Hung Drawn and Quartered,For the misery they cause to vulnerable people. Hal.

BrianW

BrianW Report 13 Jan 2005 14:09

Drug dependency is a medical problem, but by prohibition you turn it into a criminal problem. My job is associated with the justice system and it is frightening how high a proportion of theft is as a result of a need to fund a habit. In my opinion the cycle could be broken by supplying drugs free of charge but linking that to compulsory rehabilitation.

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Jan 2005 14:10

NO NO, A DOZEN TIMES NO!!!!! l have seen what it can do to 3 members of my family jude sarf wales

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 13 Jan 2005 14:12

A point you may care to ponder on-The British jails are full of foreign national who have been sent down for drug trafficking. I know-I recently retired from the Prison Service. These guys are mules,they have usually got into debt is paid off. Many of those in prison are terrified of going home as they have failed and know what awaits them=- I am not condoning or making and judgment -i am telling it like it is. Governments need to make a concertaed effort to get the Mr Bigs behind the drugs cartels--Rose

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 13 Jan 2005 14:19

Maz,we tried everything,even tough love.He was locked in his room etc etc. We were a great family and his violence ruined it for all of us. In the end we just had to let him go.He went to London and followed the trail,bedsit,squat,dropped out of college,dropped out of life. Ten years ago he turned up here and we have helped him get back on his feet.The difference is that NOW HE WANTS TO BE CLEAN-Until they want this for themselves there is nothing you can do yourself. He is now involved with rehab.and tries to stop other youngsters making the same mistakes.It is hard for eveyone involved--MY VERY BEST WISHES TO YOU-HUgsRose.

Martin

Martin Report 13 Jan 2005 14:34

Continuing frlom Brians good comment, surely drugs would need to be legalised to be produced in the first place. Whatever happens there will always be people who will use them. We need, however, some control on how they are produced, quality restrictions etc etc combined with good education about them. I understand qualities can be controlled to take out some of the addictive properties for example, and the rubbish that currently goes in the will be eliminated. People will be able to know exactly what they are taking. The majority of crime is drug related. Violent offences occur because of the black market. I am not saying there should be a free and open market, but the government must take some control. Sorry, but just saying no to any suggestion of decriminalisation/legalisation is just sweeping the subject under the carpet, not having any control and hoping it will go away. It wont. The problem needs to be addressed, and the current practices are simply not working. We all know people who have been affected by drugs in the past. This is usually down to misuse and quality control. If alcohol was banned there would be a lot more problems on the streets by people taking this drug purchased from an uncontolled source. Just think what the alcohol pushers/producers would put into their products , it doesn,t bear thnking about!! Martin

Andy

Andy Report 13 Jan 2005 16:12

Difficult one, and I'm afraid I'm going to have to sit on the fence with this. I agree that it's time for a radical change of approach as drugs seem the motivation for several forms of crime. Whilst I can see certain theoretical advantages in legalising them, as already outlined by those in favour, will we be making the problem even worse than it already is once the genie has been released from the bottle, so to speak.

Len

Len Report 13 Jan 2005 16:26

Definately not, drug pushers should be shot, theres no way of being nice about it, they destroy to many lives. Len

Martin

Martin Report 13 Jan 2005 16:59

The whole point is that whilst the practise remains illegal there will always be drug pushers. The only of getting rid of them is to legalise it. That doesn't mean every Tom Dick and Harry can sell it, but so the drug companies can produce a controlled recreational substance to be sold in a restrictive way. Drugs is the third largest trade in he world all run by crooks!! The business is only thriving in this way because it is illegal!!

Jack (Sahara)

Jack (Sahara) Report 13 Jan 2005 17:10

I'm on the fence about this one too. I've been to Amsterdam and loved it. Cannabis is legal there, you can buy it in cafes over the counter. We smoked out there but didn't touch a drop of alcohol, we laughed and laughed and didn't have a hangover in the morning. I never saw a bit of trouble all weekend and we had a great time. I wouldn't take my 7 year old daughter there though - that's why i'm on the fence. Jack x

Daniel

Daniel Report 13 Jan 2005 17:12

I'm quite certain it is not legal, only tolerated.

BrianW

BrianW Report 13 Jan 2005 17:21

As I see it, both drugs and alcohol should be legal or both should be illegal. One and one makes no sense at all.

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Jan 2005 17:25

on average 12 ambulance crews a week,in london alone,get attacked by violent drug addicts and alcoholics. the druggies are after the drugs,and syringes,carried in the ambulance...alcoholics,because too much drink,just brings out the worst in some of them. alcohol is legal...but every weekend there are police getting punched and kicked at closing times across the country. a week before xmas,i was head butted by a drunk,as i was treating him for a head injury...the second time,my nose has been broken this way. so,if we legalise hard drugs,will the problems stop? NO! because the addicts will still need to steal etc,to buy the drugs from a pharmacy etc. bryan....bear in mind most addicts,dont bring home a wage.

Martin

Martin Report 13 Jan 2005 17:49

In Amsterdam, hard drugs are illegal and the Dutch police like to arrest people for having them. Soft drugs such as marijuana and magic mushrooms are semi-legal in Holland. Basically, if you are caught in possession of less than 5 grams of either marihuana or hashish you will not be prosecuted. The drugs, however, will be confiscated. If you possess more than 5 grams, you stand a "fair chance" of prosecution. Coffee-shops are licensed to sell cannabis, but they cannot sell to under 18's, cannot advertise, and cannot stock more than 500 grams of soft drugs. With regards to Bryans comments, if drugs were legalised, there would be no need/or certainly less need for the "druggies" to raid the equipment in the ambulances. Alcohol is legal, but the important point which was made is regards to the "closing time". (See other thread) Introduce 24 hour opening times and the "closing time" ceases to exist. There will always be morons creating trouble. All the problems will not go away if we legalise hard drugs. If this was to happen, there must be some sort of proper rehabilitation programme. It is not a matter of encouraging use, but to have control. The need to steal will lessen because drug prices would be a lot cheaper than they are now. I would doubt that the majority of drug users don't earn. Certainly a lot don't, but there would be a better chance for those who don't to be able obtain drugs cheaply without going to crime (eg prescription programme). Martin

Joy

Joy Report 13 Jan 2005 18:45

Having seen what hash can do, when I was a teenager, I say no to legalisation. Joy

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 13 Jan 2005 19:21

Hi, Two of the most addictive drugs - nicotine and alcohol are already legal and both can be very harmful. Some illegal drugs are less dangerous. Cannabis is less harmful than alcohol in many ways. If I was walking down a street late at night I'd rather bump into a group stoned on cannabis than stoned on booze. I'd be a lot less likely to be attacked by passive joint smokers than aggressive drunks. Most petty crime is done by those wanting money to feed drug addiction a PC friend argues that if drugs were legal we would get rid of a lot of buglaries and muggings. I have friends who have smoked cannabis, casually, for 30 - 40 years with no apparent ill-effects, they are resposible members of society and holding down good jobs. I have family members whose lives have been destroyed by alcohol. My cousin died of an alcohol abuse related illness. While alcohol is legal I find it hard to argue the case for soft drugs remaining illegal. Maybe we should make alcohol and nicotine illegal. People make choices. I drink and I smoke but I am aware of the harmful effects and choose to carry on - doesn't the same apply to other drugs? Overindulging in almost anything can be harmful, even chocolate. The drug dealers have a vested interest in drugs remaining illegal. If heroin, cocaine and cannabis were legal they would be a lot cheaper. But then the government would probably tax them like they do booze and fags. I'm sitting on the fence. I can see the arguements on both sides but do not have the experience or knowledge to make a reasoned judgement. Gwynne