General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Migraine's

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Fairy

Fairy Report 14 Jan 2005 09:58

Do you have migraine's, if so what causes them? Do you know? I usually get them in the summer, caused by the sunshine. Yesterday was a lovely sunny day here in Hertfordshire........and wallop, I got another one. There is no warning, just the sight goes, then the brick of a headache. Today, as it's another sunny day, I'm wearing my dark glasses, as I still have the headache, sights OK at the moment. I was going to meet a friend today, but had to cancel as I'm always frightened it will start again whilst I am away from home. UPDATE: They think they have found a new cure. Thats great, I'd go for it, would you?

Mags

Mags Report 14 Jan 2005 10:05

Mine were pretty dreadful - I even had tests for a brain tumour! I don't get many at all now - can't remember the last one (you watch - I shall get one today now! lol) Mine disappeared after having some back teeth out! Magsxx

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 14 Jan 2005 10:24

Hi everyone I have suffered with migraines for years, unfortunately for me anything can trigger one off, including the sun in the summer. I used to get them really bad but thankfully, I have learned to controll them so they don't get as bad anymore. Nicola xx

Patricia

Patricia Report 14 Jan 2005 12:16

Here's another one who suffers with migraines. Yes the sun does tigger them of for me. cooking certain things.. smoke is another thing now. and also looking forward to going out. I was supposed the have gone the a wedding reception last Sat. and was excited, but come 6pm I'm in Bed and it last until Tuesday... I go to the migraine clinic in London have been for about three years. I had an attack while there in Dec, so the doctor there prescribed Zomig nasal spray.. Touch wood so far they work very quickly, but they do give a terrible taste.So keepng my fingers crossed these are going to help. Trouble is you can't plan anything as you're always worried about getting one. Pat

Kym

Kym Report 14 Jan 2005 12:45

I suffer aswell. Heat sets them off, lack of fluids don't help either. Certain types of food also set them off aswell. Stress, smells, headbanging. When I was 5 my mum took me to the docters about them and asked the doc if they could run in the family, doc said no but. My dad suffers 2 of his sisters Their mum and 3 cousins Well I can't say what my mum said to the doc it wasn't very nice. Kym

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Jan 2005 13:04

Hi Jo, Hope you're feeling better now. My mother had migraines all her life and used to have really bad attacks that knocked her out for days at a time. She'd be unable to get out of bed, unable to eat anything and only able to drink water, as even weak tea came back up. As she grew older, her headaches came far less often. She never knew what caused them. My brother and I don't get them, nor does his daughter, but my son had them from babyhood (when they were undiagnosed). Once he could talk and say where the pain was, etc, it was obvious he had migraines, but his were mostly related to being bullied at school or if he'd eaten too many dairy products on the same day. He used to drink lots of milk and loved yogurts and cheese. When he changed schools and cut out those foods, the headaches were less severe and came less often. Sometimes a combination of dairy products, chocolate and citrus fruits were responsible. We found all this out after he'd had a brain scan (found nothing wrong) and been on an exclusion diet for six months, cutting out one suspect food for a month at a time. He's now 26 and seems almost to have 'grown out' of them, with just one or two attacks a year. CB >|< (Who was supposed to be meeting Jo today) X

Bob

Bob Report 14 Jan 2005 13:12

I used to suffer as a child. The main triggers were sun, chocolate and cheese. I still get headaches but nowhere near as bad. Bob

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 14 Jan 2005 19:46

Hi, another migraine sufferer! I have suffered for a few years now and some of them really do knock me out. I didn't really know what caused them until I read a magazine article about food additives especially MSG (monosodium glutamate) and the sweetener aspartame, and everything seemed to slot into place. Now I'm the one in the supermarket reading all the food labels! I do managed to keep them at bay most of the time but every now and again one takes me by surprise, but I can usually work out what has caused it. Another main cause of mine is strong perfume. I dread getting on a bus or train, or even worse a plane, and sitting next to someone wearing strong perfume! Maggy

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Jan 2005 19:57

I have suffered from migraine since I was 11 and started at grammar school. I got home one day and mum couldn't get any sense out of me, I was just clutching my head. She thought I'd been attacked, then the doctor diagnosed migraine. They got even worse when I was diagnosed with ME 8 years ago, but they are under control and there are people with worse. They are mostly 'PMT', but often get an extra one thrown in for luck! Also triggered by bright sunlight and strong smells. Yuk, hate people wearing overpowering perfume!! Take Maxalt and Solpadol, one day awful then just a bit dippy on the second day. Mandy :)

karen in the new forest

karen in the new forest Report 14 Jan 2005 20:01

hi my husband and my daughter get hemaplegic migraines were one side goes numb they have no sense of time and cant speak,they thought my husband was having a stroke once very scary.but they both have tablets they have to take at the first sign of a hint. karen

tinkers

tinkers Report 14 Jan 2005 20:09

ive got a migrain from hell today whatever i try it just wont get rid of it

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 14 Jan 2005 20:20

I have suffered for nearly 40 years with migranes. Started as a thumping head, progressed to dislike of bright light then on to nausea and now vomiting. (this has been over those 40 years) My triggers are sunlight, storms (atmospheric pressure), to much/lack of sleep, stress, extremes of temperature, flashing lights, dehydration, red wine. I usually wake with migrane. Hearing, sight, smell and touch are all hightened. Pain is not as bad but continual vomiting and diarrhoea are debilitating. My doctor prescribed Maxalt Melt wafers (Rizatriptan) which dissolve on the tongue and it helps to reduce the swollen blood vessels around the brain this helps to stop the pain, nausea/vomiting, and other symptoms. I sleep for 3 to 6 hours solid after a wafer and although I'm a bit groggy when I wake up the migraine has gone. V.

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 14 Jan 2005 20:24

Forgot to say I was about 7 when they started but didn't seek any treatment until I was about 25. I am the only member of the family who suffers as well. V.

Fairy

Fairy Report 14 Jan 2005 21:10

Thanks for all your interesting replies. I remember my first mgraine when I was 12 and all I could do was put my head on the cold lino floor and cry, it was so painful. I wish they could do more for all of us. But then I suppose there are a lot worse things to have. Luv Jo.

Cougarjo

Cougarjo Report 14 Jan 2005 23:46

Hi Another migraine sufferer here! My mum and my sister get them too so I don't tend to believe the theory that it doesn't run in families! I started getting them at about age 12, similar age to my mum. I think that hormones are one of the things that sets mine off. Makes sense as to the age I started getting them. Also with both my pregnancies I got loads (many episodes in one day) at the beginning of pregnancy and then loads straight after birth for a week or two. Both when hormones are going crazy! I also get migraines if I sleep too long in the morning and haven't eaten or drunk for a while. Many times I don't know what causes them. My mum hasn't been able to eat cheese since she first started with migraines. Even the teeniest amount starts one for her. Stress can also be a factor. I've had many different symptons with them. Every one I've had has started with my eyes going - you know the distorted weird vision! Then the thumping head on one side starts shortly after. These are the two symptons I get everytime. I may have all or some of the following symptons too. Nausea, back ache, dizziness, numbness down one side, including lips mouth tongue (feels like my tongue is huge and totally filling my mouth - quite scary!), and inability to think clearly and speak logically! Ladies - I used to take the pill but after this last baby was born I went to the doctors to get put back on the pill but the nurse told me that because I get migraines I should NOT take the regular pill as there is an increased risk of strokes. No one ever told me this before! So just be aware. The mini pill is fine however. So any of you who suffers, I totally sympathise. I don't think anyone who has never had a migraine can really appreciate how awful they actually are. They ARE NOT just a headache!! Joanne

Tracey

Tracey Report 15 Jan 2005 07:38

Just to add another to the list, I too suffer from the dredded "M" word, have done since I was 14. Doctor thought I had problem with my spine initialy due to the numbness and loss of sensation throught out my body and prescribed anibiotics! Did'nt know what the were untill after my 3rd child and read a magazine in the doctors waiting room one day. I also experience loss of comunication - ability to talk or comprehend conversation, disrupted / blurred vision, vomiting and numbness. I like many others have found that if my water intake drops off slightly, certain foods, 'flashes' of lights, flurescent lighting (and even the TV slightly untuned) certain sounds, stress and worst of all certain smells of paticular perfums / deodrants) sends me in the dark room for days at a time or off to hospital for the Pethadine / Morphine shot to knock me out and take the pain. Living in 45 - 50 degree heat certainly doesn't help, but since I have had a hystorectomy (after my fourth child) and increased my 'trigger' knowledge I can now manage months at a time without an episode!!!!! For all suffers I certainly understand the fear of impending attack, the fear that comes with loss of control and constant worry that it will happen at the most inappropiate time (at work great!) Maybe one day there will be a magic pill that will take it all away!......

Fairy

Fairy Report 15 Jan 2005 08:33

Poor Tracey, Thats sounds really bad. I know exactly what you mean when you say you could be out on your own when this happens as there is'nt any warning. There is no way I could drive the car, that would be stupid. Take care, Jo.

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 15 Jan 2005 09:05

'Children don't get headaches'!!! Was what I was told.Noone ever believed me. They progressed through my life getting worse and worse the older I got. Triggers Bright lights,Strongsmells,certain food stuffs, alcohol,stress and PMT IN ITS DAY. With time they got fewer,but had masked HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE for years. Doctors always useless inmy day,always put down to Womens' Probs.or Its your age dear!! At the onset of an attack I knew I had ten minutes to get home and get to bed.I lost periferal vision,and one side of my face went into paralysis.I could not speak as my tongue swelled and if I tried to speak,I appeared drunk.Most embarrassing. I took part in some research into Migraine and was asked to write through on e attack for as long as I could.Afterwards it was frightening to see how my writing had become more and more indistinguishable,until it became just a scrawl. Sorry to hear about everyones' problems.I think one does get fewer attacks as we age.Not had one for some years nw-Rose

Lily

Lily Report 15 Jan 2005 09:13

I have read all your comments. Part of it is hormonal - I reached sixty and the migraines petered out, if I get one now it is manageable. Triggers - a period of stress, as soon as I relaxed - BANG! Missing meals, which ties up with sleeping in, sugar levels drop after fasting. Cheese, choc and red wine. Bright sunlight (dark glasses!) Sensitivity of migraine sufferers - strong smells, flashing (disco) lights loud noise...........and babies crying! 'Cures' - PARAMAX helps the pain and soothes stomach Bath/shower - steam apparently helps - massage temples. Bed, in dark room, lots of water/dry toast TLC! Dilys

Patricia

Patricia Report 15 Jan 2005 09:26

Have already replied to this , but I remembered I'd read some about a treatment in USA so have found it.. fancy it.. BOTOX jabs are used to ease Migraine misery.. Botox works by tempoarily paralysing the muscles. Surgeonsin the USA say it can be used to pinpoint those muscles which trigger migraines. which are then removed.. I have a rash have had to attend hospital with it, but the consultant gave me tablets to take at night to help me sleep. I told him I take Amitrylene(cam n't spell this morning) so he said oh don't bother with them I find them useless, rang the migraine clinic yesterday to see what I should do, but there was no doctor so have to rind Monday.. In a state in case I get one this weekend!!!!! Pat