General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Burns Night Supper

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 19 Jan 2005 09:28

Hubby just rang to ask whether I want to go to a supper. ...... Is anyone else going to one?

Wendy

Wendy Report 19 Jan 2005 09:56

We have one every year at our church.They are a great success,lots of fun and good food.My hubby did the Address to the Haggis last year and is doing it again this year.Hope you have a good time!

Mags

Mags Report 19 Jan 2005 10:13

My daughter's mother and father in law belong to a Scottish country dancing group and they will certainly be going to one. Poor woman is having to reply to the address (by the chairman I think) to the women of the group. I've read and heard her speech - very subtle but a definite dig at the men! - I would love to be at the back of the hall when she delivers that one! lol You go - sure to be a good night. Magsxx

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 24 Jan 2005 10:18

No one else like haggis?

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 24 Jan 2005 10:51

We go to one every year but strangely enough it is in March! My children's primary school and another local school compete in a Burns poetry competiotion. All three of my older children have taken part and it's a really good night. We have our haggis tatties and neeps, then the childrens competition, traditional entertainment, then the prize giving. Great night! Looking forward to it but we'll still have our haggis tomorrow. Christine

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Jan 2005 14:13

Not going to one this year but have been in the past at the golf club, great fun. Love haggis too. One of the golf club members is a piper so goes in the full regalia, very spectacular. Ann Glos

badger

badger Report 24 Jan 2005 14:16

I usually do Liz and myself a one at home because she can't get out in the evenings because of the cold.Funnily enough though ,i don't know the correct date ,so perhaps one of you could tell me please.Fred.ptfg.

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 24 Jan 2005 14:33

Fred, tomorrow 25th , it's the bard's birthday so enjoy your haggis! Christine

badger

badger Report 24 Jan 2005 14:58

Thanks Christine, i will, tatties, neeps and Grants Haggis ,one of the better ones.I may even finish off with a couple of bits of shortbread left over from the new year[ slaps wrist ]and goes back on the diet wednesday.Fred.ptfg.

BarneyKent

BarneyKent Report 24 Jan 2005 15:20

Haggis and bagpipes. The first is not bad but bagpipes ! Might as well stand on a cat's tail. Burn's Night sux

Lisa

Lisa Report 24 Jan 2005 15:23

no my mother is though.she loves them as she comes from scotland.maybe i should celebrate aswell as i was born in dundee scotland where my mother was born aswellxxxx(:

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Jan 2005 15:42

My late father was a piper - in fact the Town Piper of the Royal Burgh of Linlithgow. He played at many Burns Suppers - and for many nationalities - I grew up being proud of my heritage - I get upset hearing bagpipes being played - but only because I wish it was my daddy playing them. And Fred - oooh Grants tinned haggis is brilliant isnt it - love it in toasties too.

Trish

Trish Report 24 Jan 2005 15:45

Please don't shout at me - but being a mere Southerner, what exactly does "addressing the haggis?" entail?

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Jan 2005 15:47

.lol Its and ode Trish Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face, Great chieftain o the puddin'-race! Aboon them a' ye tak your place, Painch, tripe, or thairm: Weel are ye wordy of a grace As lang's my arm. The groaning trencher there ye fill, Your hurdies like a distant hill, Your pin wad help to mend a mill In time o need, While thro your pores the dews distil Like amber bead. His knife see rustic Labour dight, An cut you up wi ready slight, Trenching your gushing entrails bright, Like onie ditch; And then, O what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich! Then, horn for horn, they stretch an strive: Deil tak the hindmost, on they drive, Till a' their weel-swall'd kytes belyve Are bent like drums; The auld Guidman, maist like to rive, 'Bethankit' hums. Is there that owre his French ragout, Or olio that wad staw a sow, Or fricassee wad mak her spew Wi perfect sconner, Looks down wi sneering, scornfu view On sic a dinner? Poor devil! see him owre his trash, As feckless as a wither'd rash, His spindle shank a guid whip-lash, His nieve a nit: Thro bloody flood or field to dash, O how unfit! But mark the Rustic, haggis-fed, The trembling earth resounds his tread, Clap in his walie nieve a blade, He'll make it whissle; An legs an arms, an heads will sned, Like taps o thrissle. Ye Pow'rs, wha mak mankind your care, And dish them out their bill o fare, Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware That jaups in luggies: But, if ye wish her gratefu prayer, Gie her a Haggis! The alternative would be to stick a stamp on one and send it here lol xx

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 24 Jan 2005 15:48

thnk gawd you asked trish lol i didnt want to appear a thick southie ,so i kept me gob shut lol susie

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Jan 2005 15:49

Asda often have Grants tinned haggis in - it is excellent

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 24 Jan 2005 15:49

ook err she i didnt understand a word of that lol can you repeat it in english..pleeeeease susie

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Jan 2005 15:51

Fair full your honest, jolly face, Great chieftain of the sausage race! Above them all you take your place, Stomach, tripe, or intestines: Well are you worthy of a grace As long as my arm. The groaning trencher there you fill, Your buttocks like a distant hill, Your pin would help to mend a mill In time of need, While through your pores the dews distill Like amber bead. His knife see rustic Labour wipe, And cut you up with ready slight, Trenching your gushing entrails bright, Like any ditch; And then, O what a glorious sight, Warm steaming, rich! Then spoon for spoon, the stretch and strive: Devil take the hindmost, on they drive, Till all their well swollen bellies by-and-by Are bent like drums; Then old Master of the house, most like to burst, 'The grace!' hums. Is there that over his French ragout, Or olio that would sicken a sow, Or fricassee would make her throw-up With perfect disgust, Looks down with sneering, scornful view On such a dinner? Poor devil! see him over his trash, As feeble as a withered rush, His thin legs a good whip-lash, His fist a nut; Through bloody flood or field to dash, O how unfit. But mark the Rustic, haggis-fed, The trembling earth resounds his tread, Clap in his ample fist a blade, He will make it whistle; And legs, and arms, and heads will crop Like tops of thistle. You powers, who make mankind your care, And dish them out their bill of fare, Old Scotland want no watery ware, That splashes in small wooden dishes; But is you wish her grateful prayer, Give her a Haggis! just for you dear cousin susie lol

Trish

Trish Report 24 Jan 2005 15:52

Thanks She, I've always wondered but never got around to looking it up. Had visions of wrapping a haggis up and sending it through the post :-)) I've never tried a haggis, and if I'm right in thinking what goes into it I never will. I know - I'm a coward!! LOL

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 24 Jan 2005 15:52

aww bless yer she its a lovely ode isnt it (now i can read it) lmao susie