General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

**FRIENDS, PLEASE READ AND SUPPORT EACH OTHER**

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Jan 2005 13:18

Please can we try and put some positive energy into yesterday's truly awful events by supporting each other? I would like to suggest that as many as possible file a complaint to GR about the man who started causing problems on the 'Bite Yer Tongue part 2' thread, and then the person who came along later with a very obvious pseudonym and was so malicious to some members. GR really need to protect us from these cyber-bullies and I think that the more of us who make a complaint, the more serious GR will take it. Luckily the people who were targeted are highly respected members and very strong people, but they were still very shocked and, I would imagine, distressed. I have seen some upsets and arguments on the boards but never, ever anything like this and it really must be treated seriously. Please, let's all pull together and do something about it. Thanks, Mandy :)

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 30 Jan 2005 13:27

I did my bit & sent the threads to abuse...AND I named names. Not only of the ringleader , who on the last occasion stirred up trouble, but his allies, who joined in the masquerade. No one on here should have to have the abuse we recieved last night. Elaine x

Glenys the Menace!

Glenys the Menace! Report 30 Jan 2005 13:34

Yes Mandy, I'll be complaining to G.R. Someone said their husband wanted them to come off G.R., well, after I told mine last night, he suggested the same to me. I had an unpleasant experience before Christmas on here, but the support I had via private emails from other members was fantastic. I didn't complain to G.R. then, but will do so about yesterday's matter! Glenys x

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 30 Jan 2005 13:35

Elaine I'm glad I re-read your post before I answered. I thought you had just named a 'him' then realised you put and his allies. Cos as I seem to remember there was a female egging 'him' on too. Hope someone managed to get the membership number of the person posting the quiz Jeanette x

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Jan 2005 13:37

Oh yes, certainly did Jeanette. Got everything there was possible to get on these people - and GR will be receiving it all many times over! We just need to make the point that we need to feel safe on this site and that this awful event should never be allowed to happen again.

Jean

Jean Report 30 Jan 2005 13:40

i have also complained to gr, lets hope they do somthing to sort this awfull situation out once and for all

June

June Report 30 Jan 2005 13:42

I didn't go on Genes until after the football, ( yes sad person that I am, I was watching Man U) so I dont know what went on but I dont like to hear/see my friends upset like this, I do urge you all to contact Genes, surely something can be done. June xx

sandra rogers

sandra rogers Report 30 Jan 2005 13:45

mandy i too thought it was shocking how people can say nasty things to someone they have never met wellllllllll ( for once i am lost for words)I think they should put moderators on x

Pat

Pat Report 30 Jan 2005 13:46

Well Mandy I for one support the people who were treated to such fowl disgusting bad mouthing yesterday, by pervs that have such sad lives they want to infest everyone elses. I have just come back on here and read another thread which is being deleted I am glad to say. Why should people that have gone through this sort of thing forget it. NO I don't think it's right to ask them to. Elaine, Lynda and Marion I am glad you are so above the people who who did this. I am writing to Genes to complain about this, and hope something will be done about the security on here. Pat x

Joy

Joy Report 30 Jan 2005 13:51

I support the good friends that I have made on this site. I have sent a report to abuse at GR. Joy

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 30 Jan 2005 13:52

I cant even find the thread in question so have no idea whats been happening,,

Jo

Jo Report 30 Jan 2005 13:53

Claire it was deleted last night as it was way too personnal to leave on here.

Andy

Andy Report 30 Jan 2005 14:21

I did send a post to GR abuse, mentioning the thread in question but it was deleted soon after - I had guessed that Paul had done this before he stated that he had - and I'd forgotten that GR staff don't work weekends, which seems ludicrous also. I would have thought that the larger this site becomes, in terms of membership then the more staff would be needed to maintain it, field queries and so on. Having a skeleton staff in place to do all of this seems woefully inadequate now, or at least that's the impression it gives.

Slinky

Slinky Report 30 Jan 2005 14:30

I did not read any of the messages that were insulting to some of the members, but I have taken the time out to read responses from other people. I agree with the majority that those who leave nasty, malicious messages on this board or any other should be thrown off forthwith...decent people should not have to put up with reading such horrible comments. Anne.

Jo

Jo Report 30 Jan 2005 14:43

I have no intention of letting this drop (have explained the reason on Paul Blythes Thread).

badger

badger Report 30 Jan 2005 14:52

I missed the goings on yesterday, but having spoken to a few people whom i regard as friends via e/mail ,i have also sent a complaint in to gr.these people could do with getting professional help ,because they are two pence short of a shilling,quite sick in the head.Fred.ptfg.&a&g&w

Glenys the Menace!

Glenys the Menace! Report 30 Jan 2005 15:12

Hi Linda (M), although I didn't see the stuff that's being talked about, I saw the comments afterwards. It was this that I told my hubby about. I don't blame your other half for saying the same as mine; the trouble is, I love this hobby and the site. I know I'll be staying really! Glenys x Donna, just seen your reply; I agree.

~♥ Daisy ♥~

~♥ Daisy ♥~ Report 30 Jan 2005 15:14

Normally I do sit on the fence for fear of offending or being insulted, but what happened yesterday went way beyond the acceptable. I should like to extend my support to all those so viciously attacked in that vile "quiz" and to confirm that I shall also be contacting GR. Daisy

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Jan 2005 15:35

Linda (Bolton) - of course I understand what you're saying; I don't actually think GR would take notice of anyone who filed a complaint but hadn't seen what had happened. But thank you for your support. Thank you to everyone who is willing to report what they saw happening last night. Love, hugs and support to our friends, Mandy xx

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 30 Jan 2005 15:41

Mandy I sat and watched what happened last night and found the whole thing totally OTT. I wasted no time in complaining to GR. I agree with what Pat said on one of the threads about only full members being allowed to post on the boards. Maybe that would go part of the way in cutting down on this kind of thing. Sheila