General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New prime minister - what to look for

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

syljo

syljo Report 30 Jan 2005 19:30

Seeing that most of you are unhappy with Tony Blair, perhaps it is time to start thinking who you are going to vote for in the next election. What do you look for in a politician? I know some girls only vote for a nice looking man, but beauty is only skin deep, and then? Sylvia xxx

Lisa

Lisa Report 30 Jan 2005 19:31

someone who sticks to their policiesxxxxx(:

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Jan 2005 19:37

I'd like to find some integrity, but I don't think people get to be leader of a political party by having it. nell

syljo

syljo Report 30 Jan 2005 19:38

I haven't seen any names put forward yet Sylvia xxx

~♥ Daisy ♥~

~♥ Daisy ♥~ Report 30 Jan 2005 19:39

Actually can't think of anyone who fits the bill. What a desperate state of affairs! lol Daisy

Valice in

Valice in Report 30 Jan 2005 20:27

It's a pity Paddy Ashdown retired. Val

Len

Len Report 30 Jan 2005 20:42

Come back Cromwell? we'd only have one person to blame then

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 30 Jan 2005 20:46

Someone who doesn't rely on 'spin'. Someone who is a REAL ambassador for us. Someone with some 'fire in their belly'. Someone with some charisma. Can't think of anyone either!!

Christine

Christine Report 30 Jan 2005 21:17

I am from the North East of England and was brought up in a staunchly Labour area...Arthur Bottomley ( remember him) was our MP and was returned with a massive majority every election. It seems in this area that even if a cardboard cut-out was standing it would be elected...and thereby is our problem. The Labour Party can by-pass the area - even though the PM and many senior members of his Cabinet have seats here - because they know they are going to be re-elected and the Tories don't bother with us because no matter what they do they don't stand a chance. Who would I like as a new PM???...someone I could trust...someone who gives a straight answer to a question...someone who is not in George Bush's pocket....someone who is not Presidential...I want an ordinary man or woman who has had to work hard for a living...who hasn't had the 'advantage' of Public School' ...who knows what it is like to struggle to pay bills..who has lived in a deprived area - one whose children attend local comprehensive schools and who relies on the NHS.. and has to rely on the State for a pension when they retire. Unfortunately I live in the real world and haven't a clue who to vote for !!!!!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Jan 2005 21:24

I look for honesty, but with politicians it's like a needle in a haystack. I think we need a MOR approach - someone who's not going to be extremely left- or extremely right-wing - but that's where the concept of party politics falls down. I don't think anyone's mentioned a name, Sylvia, because there is no-one outstanding enough for the job. We'll just have to take whoever we get. I bet you'd get a great many names if you asked who we DIDN'T want! CB >|< ;>)

syljo

syljo Report 30 Jan 2005 21:38

What a state you'll be in if you cannot find a new man or woman. Bring back Maggie - oh no! Sylvia xxx

Merlin

Merlin Report 31 Jan 2005 14:43

Many people may not have liked Margaret Thatcher,but she had more guts and backbone than any of the wasters we have now. My choice would be for someone who I knew Personally,But unfortunately is dead.Thats "Enoch Powel" he was a man of Integrity,more than you can say about the "Shower"we have today. Hal.

syljo

syljo Report 31 Jan 2005 14:56

Yes, Harold I agree with you Maggie was somebody who clamped down on the Unions, not before it was time. Enoch Powell, a wonderful man. He foresaw things that are happening now. No wonder he spent his last years in Eireland. Sylvia xxx

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 31 Jan 2005 14:59

Hi, If I could choose anyone I'd have David Owen or Shirley Williams - maybe Paddy Ashdown. But given the choices available I'll have to choose Tony as I suspect most people will at the next election despite some of the views expressed here. Gwynne

Merlin

Merlin Report 31 Jan 2005 15:00

Sylvia,Glad you liked him,And he was,nt afraid to put his hand in his pocket when it was his turn for a roud of drinks. An extremely nice, pleasant and clever man,Hal.

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Jan 2005 15:13

One name has just sprung to mind - Boris Johnson. He'd probably be as useless as Blair, but at least he's a lot funnier! (as seen on HIGNFY) I also expect that Labour will win next time, but as long as they're not led by John Prescott, we probably know what we're in for. Better the devil you know ... CB >|<

syljo

syljo Report 31 Jan 2005 15:16

I hope that you all go to vote, otherwise you cannot complain who gets in. Sylvia xxx

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 31 Jan 2005 15:22

Hi Sylvia, Of course I vote. I've voted at every election, general and local, since I came of age. Gwynne

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Jan 2005 15:41

Sylvia, I've always voted too, but I think too many people (my Mother, for instance) just don't think it's worth bothering, so we get very low attendances at polling stations. Apathy rules above all, it seems. CB >|<

syljo

syljo Report 31 Jan 2005 15:43

I suppose the ones who cannot be bothered to vote should be persuaded to do so. Think of the brave Iraqis voting! Sylvia xxx