General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Not going ma'am!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 27 Oct 2021 18:30

Don't suppose we shall be seeing anything of the queen while the climate conference is on.

They will have at least had to hide her false teeth to stop her going. Her glasses too, I wouldn't mind betting!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Oct 2021 13:11

I think she was pretty annoyed at all the talk and no action.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 30 Oct 2021 14:50

I think she has virtually been grounded....

Florence61

Florence61 Report 30 Oct 2021 16:01

Hope its nothing serious!

Florence in the hebrides

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Oct 2021 17:48

More likely, mind is strong and willing, but the body is getting weaker.

She probably has to be convinced to slow down her public visits, and let the "younger" ones do more of them, while she confines herself to Zoom, some face-to-face meetings indoors at Windsor or Buckingham Palace, and confining herself to her important events (either to her or the public), like Remembrance Day at the Cenotaph, on the Palace Balcony, a few well-chosen events next door. Maybe confine herself more to not walking around at those events but having people come to her while she sits.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 30 Oct 2021 22:28

Also, Covid is still rampant in the UK :-(

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 31 Oct 2021 00:41

True.

You're having a really bad time. Is it mainly the Delta variant, as here?

I saw in the papers that Ed Sheeran has tested positive ........... I haven't seen any comment yet on the fact that our papers had said a few days earlier that he had been at a big event with Prince William and Kate.

Our curve in BC and most other provinces (Alberta and the 2 prairie provinces being the main exceptions) are all now on the downturn from the 4th wave. That is ........ so long as everyone still obeys the remaining restrictions (masks indoors at home and indoor events plus outdoor events (eg sports events in arenas and local soccer fields) and distancing here) as winter comes and things move indoors.

BC has already started booster shots, 6 months from second shot. As we're over 70, OH will be eligible beginning in December, and I will be eligible in January

Still keeping all fingers crossed that our return train trip to daughter will still take place. I haven't yet booked the necessary hotels, but have to do so in the coming week. But we have our BC vaccination pass, will have the Federal pass in November and our photo ID ....... the last 2 needed for inte-pro9vincial travel, as well as for international travel (including cruise ships).

Caroline

Caroline Report 1 Nov 2021 00:41

Don't worry Syliva I'll spray your train down as you go through Ontario :-D :-D

Maybe they're more worried Lizzie might decide to tell a few leaders what she really thinks of them seeing as she's getting older and might not care so much what people think of her anymore.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Nov 2021 02:54

Thank you, Caroline ............ I think! :-D :-D

That's a good idea re the Queen :-D

Kense

Kense Report 1 Nov 2021 05:53

It may be rampant but only a couple of hundred per day are dying which the Government seems happy with. So the official view is that things are OK. The economy is bouncing back and in only 20 years (or perhaps 50) we shall start to see the benefits of Brexit.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Nov 2021 06:57

'Only' a couple of hundred?
Well, we're reaching similar levels of hospital admissions to last year,
but it appears the UK Government are bored with Covid now, and can't think of any more scams their 'chums' can make money out of, so, it looks like the weakest/most vulnerable don't count anymore, we should get back to normal - there are profits to be made!
So, Benidorm is now full of tourists, some pubs are operating 'normally', people are ditching masks - and we've been told, like we were told last Autumn, that Christmas will be back!

Oooh - look at the flying pigs! :-(

Caroline

Caroline Report 1 Nov 2021 11:32

I'm not sure the families of dead people are happy "only" a couple of hundred are dying a day!
Yes to some degree we have to learn to live with this virus by the looks of things, but some common sense will not hurt, so anyone not feeling good should stay home and rest not rush off to the shops or parties. I for one am not in a rush to throw away the masks indoors and quite frankly right now I also wear one outside if it's busy or am around very young unvaccinated children. It's also great for wearing when it's cold as it keeps your face nice and warm.

Caroline

Caroline Report 1 Nov 2021 12:02

But back to the thread.....quite why anyone would want to go and listen to all the windbags yap on about global warming/climate change when all of them are flying around the world at the drop of a hat.....practice what you preach come to mind...so Lizzie staying home and putting her feet up makes a lot of sense for her state of mind as much as anything.....then again if she could throw them all into the tower for a few weeks.....

Florence61

Florence61 Report 1 Nov 2021 22:18

Yes and much fuel did those planes guzzle, they are huge!

Why they all had to meet up, spend millions etc and spread covid im sure when they could have all done it through zoom no less.

Im all for recycling and reusing, reducing, but all of that isnt going to stop the rain falling is it?
If local councils as ive said and others have before had proper management of rivers and dredged them regularly, it would cut down on the rivers bursting their banks. Thats not rocket science is it?

Florence in the hebrides

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Nov 2021 22:55

I can't see why they didn't hold the COP26 in Italy - most of them were there last week!
But no, much better for an estimated 400 jets to fly to Glasgow, for a meeting about the environment - and emissions.
Oh, and Johnson's going to fly grom Glasgow to London, rather than take the direct train, due to 'time' issues.

Do you know what, it would save me a lot of time, (and space in the ggarden) if I could burn the garden debris, rather than put a bit at a time into the garden waste bag, over the weeks, but I'm not allowed to, because of the 'emissions' - which are a lot smaller than a bl**dy jet!!!!

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 1 Nov 2021 23:39

I have said for a very long time that if local councils dredged rivers and cleared debris from drains and swept roads it would do a lot more for the environment than we can with our recycling. Also if manufacturers stopped making plastic it would help too.

Kense

Kense Report 2 Nov 2021 08:21

I am sorry I did the government a disservice, the death toll reached 223 on one day after a weekend of a relatively low number of reported deaths. The actual daily average last week was 157. Still a much higher death rate than similar countries though.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Nov 2021 08:25

Update to my last post - Johson's now going to get a scheduled flight from Glasgow.

That'll save the taxpayer a few thousand pounds - as long as other passengers are allowed on the plane!

Maddie

Maddie Report 2 Nov 2021 13:30

hope they vet everyone getting on the plane
dont want another sir david

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 3 Nov 2021 08:04

Like Florence says, why not use Zoom or another similar platform?

Anyone would think that they, themselves, are not at all worried about ongoing global situations and possible disasters just as long as Joe Bloggs is doing all the ‘sacrificing’ in order for the nations’ leaders to appear to care and to rake in as much publicity and photo-shoot opportunities as they possibly can. After all, they may well fancy different careers when their stints of ‘look-at-me’ personae end.

I do hope financial companies, global conglomerates and, particularly, those California tech companies are sitting up and taking notice cos we wouldn’t want the poor beggars to end up on the dole, would we?