General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Plastic take away containers

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 15 Aug 2021 18:14

In this day & age when we are told to reuse, reduce & recycle can someone explain why it is that take aways such as chinese are still using plastic rectangular boxes and plastic lids to put the take aways in.
Other places I have used, use the foil trays with cardboard lids, so how are they allowed to carry on using the plastic?

I did at one time soak them in very hot soapy water in the hope that i could reuse them in my cupboards. However even after washing in hot water, they still had a smell of prawns etc from the take away so could not use them and had to throw them away.
I think what a waste, especially as in my last order we had at least 5 of these plastic boxes!

Anyone else have a indian or chinese that use plastic boxes for take aways?

Florence in the hebrides

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 15 Aug 2021 18:31

We haven't had an Indian takeaway but they Chinese takeaways we use have foil boxes with plastic see through lids, which we can and do reuse then recycle.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 15 Aug 2021 18:45

Haven't had a take-away for ages, so I don't know what they use now, but we frequently use and reuse plastic containers from previous meals.
I've never had any problem getting them clean, but nobody has prawns here.

When I had a surplus of boxes, the primary school were grateful for them.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 15 Aug 2021 19:22

We don't have takeaways very often either, but we reuse them to freeze left overs, then as storage trays like draws in cupboards etc then after a very long time they end up in recycle bins.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 15 Aug 2021 19:28

RTR my question isnt about PFAS, but merely why some take away businesses are not using other forms of cartons such as foil instead of plastic.

And if these PFAS are so harmful, why are they allowed in so many products? Surely, they would be illegal?

If you want to discuss the use of PFAS then put up a separate thread perhaps.

Florence in the hebrides

BrianW

BrianW Report 15 Aug 2021 20:11

I want to know why it is still legal to sell water in single use bottles which end up being dropped at the roadside and washed into rivers and ultimately the ocean. Or else binned and end up in landfill decaying for the next half a millenium.

I have one solid plastic bottle which gets washed out when empty and refilled from the tap. A metal one would be just as good. Either can be recycled if they should ever reach the end of their life.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Aug 2021 20:35

And Florences point was that she didn’t want her thread taken over by the pros and cons of PFAS.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 15 Aug 2021 21:04

Sorry to hi Jack your thread Florence, but I just would like to make this point, I have been buying the same brand of loose tea for many many years and in all that time the packaging is "not yet recycled" why have they not changed their packaging to recyclable in more recent times?

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 15 Aug 2021 23:41

I re use the take away containers for freezer storage..

I'm 83 ..sod the pfas

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 16 Aug 2021 06:13

Forty years ago I recall a company named BX Plastics in Australia carrying out tests on the safety of its plastics. My recall is because I did a once-a-fortnight voluntary stint in my child’s school canteen and the organiser was looking for safe plastic containers for storage. (School canteens were run voluntarily by Mums.)

I bought a few BX products but as I only have two in my cupboard, I think my children have commandeered the rest - as children do.

Alas, I don’t remember exactly what the plastics were being tested for so it could have been Bisphenol A or PFAS.

Since that time, I have been aware and wary of things like foil - using it sparingly and never to wrap food in; and linings of pans - gradually replaced with stainless steel pans with no lining.

If I had never volunteered all those years ago, I would have remained in blissful ignorance for at least another twenty years when Joe Public began to ask more questions and journalists began to write more about the safety of everyday items.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Aug 2021 11:13

I don't eat takeaways, but have started using ice cream tubs, and milk bottles - any suitable plastic container - to germinate seeds.

I'd also like to point out that both the above containers, water bottles - in reality, any plastic - some make up, and even fertilizer contains PFAs, so saying 'Don't eat take aways because of the packaging' is a bit pointless!

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jul/09/toxic-forever-chemicals-plastic-food-containers

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 16 Aug 2021 12:49

Rollo will soon be able to take his own (safe);refillable containers when he does his Aldi shop.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 16 Aug 2021 14:11

I only have a take away as a treat about once every 6 weeks and no RTR, wouldnt ever consider eating them on a daily basis!

For one they are not cheap and i couldnt afford them and also they are not healthy but a little of what you fancy now & then wont harm you.

ZZzzz re your loose tea.Is it in a carboard box or plastic bag?

Maggie, I use ice cream containers to grow seeds etc and have a stack of them in my gardening box but unlike a take away that could be put in a foil tray instead of a plastic container, ice cream cannot.

In my schools I worked in, pupils have to bring their own water bottles to fill at school as sharing a cup beside the fountain was no longer hygenic and at lunch times, plastic cups were being wasted terribly.

RTR not sure i understand whats wrong with the supermarkets? You go there to buy groceries and household products.Most have a huge range of everything thesedays, the price is really the only difference. Maintaining an SW10 lifestyle in the country??What does that have to do with recycling plastic containers?

Ah just realised, are you talking about the lack of facilities to take your own containers and refill at certain supermarkets? I have to say, in my own weekly shopping, there isnt very much, i could refill.
These machines where you can refill milk etc, i wouldnt use them because you have no idea how often the pipes etc are cleaned and what about a use by date?

You can take your own paper bags if you want and put your fruit and veg in them or a string bag or take a box as my supermarket has loads now and put all the groceries in that and no bags used...well if you have a car that is.

Florence in the hebrides

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 16 Aug 2021 14:32

I've never come across a fill your own milk bottle machine before. Except from the farm opposite our old house, but then it came striaght from the tank.

Living here in the deep countryside I don't know of any fill your own shops nearby, but did sometimes pop into a shop that did that during our holidays. Never used the system as the containers looked filthy and full of dusty remains of the contents.

Our 2nd nearest supermarket is a Waitrose. But don't think that counts as a SW10 lifestyle. Some of the Waitroses in the area are not in the best of locales.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Aug 2021 15:15

But surely, RTR, you shop at /eat food from the Co-op, that your partner works in/manages/owns?
...or is that the exception?

One of my great aunts was known as Bunty. That wasn't her real name.
She was from Wales, but died in England.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 16 Aug 2021 15:21

Thank you Florence, that was interesting and quite understandable.

My grandmother was called Florence. She lived and died in the old county of Middlesex. She worked hard, taking over the business of her late husband whilst bringing up her children.

Rollo is probably such a busy man that he doesn’t really do shopping - just leaving it all to his long suffering wife.

Caroline

Caroline Report 16 Aug 2021 17:03

Surely Rollo has servants to shop for him?

I reuse any take away food containers either to feed snacks to the dog in....putting left over gravy etc in the freezer until I throw it out...or to put under plant pots to catch any water as I never seem to have enough trays to stand pots in...mainly because half the pots for seeds or cuttings are yogurt pots or similar.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 16 Aug 2021 17:31

Lol RTR...as I have no idea what you were bleating about either!

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 16 Aug 2021 17:43

Does anyone Florence ? :-D :-D :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 16 Aug 2021 18:35

I think not LG, not even me and I'm fluent in gibberish.