General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Personal Responsibility

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 6 Aug 2021 15:47

Over the past few days I have several articles in the newspapers that have made me wonder if the world has given up on taking personal responsibility for anything and if everyone thinks playing the victim is a lifestyle choice.

Does anyone else feel like this now?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 6 Aug 2021 15:51

At the moment all those people who have travelled and then found they have to quarantine in a hotel or rush back to avoid it annoy me.

They cannot say now they didn’t know about it - it is now a known risk which they decided to take.

Kentishmaid

Kentishmaid Report 6 Aug 2021 16:09

Seems we are living in a 'Compensation Culture' , or that is what my son has told me.

Tawny

Tawny Report 6 Aug 2021 16:11

The people caught out going on holiday and then complaining annoys me too. There was also an article regarding a Russian woman who is suing McDonalds. The woman in question saw an advert for a McDonalds cheeseburger I think and decided she had to have one. In so doing she broke her vow for lent which was to give up animal products.

Apparently this is McDonalds fault for advertising it not hers for giving in and buying it.

Tawny

Tawny Report 6 Aug 2021 16:20

A girl aged 6 was staying overnight at granny’s house. Whilst there granny let the child play a game called Roblox on her android phone and the child managed to spend £200 buying things in the game.

The child did not put the game on the phone and nor did she add granny’s card details. As the mother of the child cannot afford to pay her mother in law back she thinks Roblox should refund the money for letting a child spend it in the first place.

Definitely a compensation culture

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 6 Aug 2021 17:01

There was a woman recently who was complaining the bank wasn’t refunding the money she was scammed out of. This money wasn’t from her accounts - she borrowed it and can’t pay it back.
Surely if you have to borrow the money you have a bit more time to realise you are crackers.

Island

Island Report 6 Aug 2021 17:38

Sorry to be obvious but....

What did that Russian woman think cheese was made from?

Tawny

Tawny Report 6 Aug 2021 18:03

I don’t think the Russian woman was ignorant of what cheese or a burger are made from. I think it was more a case of she was craving what she’d given up and is now looking for someone to blame for her weak will power.

As for the woman who lost money she had borrowed, that is entirely her own fault and the bank owes her nothing. You would think though that people who borrow money have a bit more thinking time. Sadly as shown though time not always used in the right way

Island

Island Report 6 Aug 2021 19:08

A bit harsh Tawny. I have to admit to wondering if cheeseburgers were meat (flesh) free when they first came on the menu all those years ago. Perhaps she was starving and thought it was just cheese?

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 6 Aug 2021 19:14

I think the woman who nameless one was talking about, was actually warned by banks etc she was borrowing from, that she might be being scammed.

She ignored the advice, borrowed/sent the money off, and now feels the institutions she borrowed from, should reimburse her :-S :-S

Tawny

Tawny Report 6 Aug 2021 19:20

Harsh maybe but she gave up animal products and cannot have been totally ignorant of the fact that cheese is also an animal product.

Island

Island Report 6 Aug 2021 19:21

Let it go Tawny. Life's too short. :-(

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 6 Aug 2021 19:42

I don’t need a picture of a chocolate bar to know I really want one.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Aug 2021 22:21

I'm still pondering how anyone can eat at McDonalds :-0

Annx

Annx Report 6 Aug 2021 22:44

Well everything that befalls people seems to be someone else's fault.

Have you noticed too now how cars take the blame for drivers? 'The car left the road'......'the car crossed the central reservation'..........'the car hit a tree'.......'the car plunged into water', 'flipped over twice'.........all this apparently nothing to do with the driver and how it was driven. I suppose it will become a correct description when we are in driverless cars!! :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 7 Aug 2021 13:00

scooters are so dangerous not only to able bodied people but probably more so to those who have hearing problems or who are visually impaired or even elderly and slow at reacting. We first came across them in Lanzarote where they were all over the place horrid things.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Aug 2021 13:27

Deaths by electric scooters - US - 30 UK - 4
There have been 1,545 scooter-related accidents in the US since 2017.

Deaths from covid - US - 616,000 - UK - 130,000

Electric scooters aren't really a 'bigger threat than covid', now, are they?

I agree, they're a pain in the neck, and should be regulated.
Most deaths (80% in USA) involved the scooter rider and traffic.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Aug 2021 16:13

RTR - The reason I put up the stats was because of your rather crass comment that
"unauthorised electric scooters which are a far bigger threat than covid"

An apology, or deletion, rather than justifying the comment is probably more appropriate. How about you take responsibility for being so insensitive.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 7 Aug 2021 19:09

You are more likely to see the e scooter coming than the COVID infection.

Both can mean you end up in ICU but it is not a given. Both can kill you but, as yet, the numbers are not comparable.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Aug 2021 19:14

Good grief, not an iota of concern for anyone else, just more, 'listen to me, I'm RTR, here are my opinions masquerading as fact', followed by yet more bullsh*t.
Remove the mirror, RTR - the world doesn't revolve around you and your opinions.
Let me say this straight.
Some people have lost loved ones to covid - I don't expect anyone here has had a dear one killed by a electric scooter, yet you're saying they're worse than covid.
Do you know what? A dog turd has more empathy than you.