General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What was your tipple..

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kentishmaid

Kentishmaid Report 2 Aug 2021 18:49

When I was a child the highlight of family get togethers was my Dad allowing me a glass of port and lemon. What a shock I got when I had my first port and lemon in a pub!! Dad made it one part port to about ten parts lemon. Not so in the pub !!!

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 2 Aug 2021 18:51

Egg nog made by my favorite Aunt. It tasted so much better than the stuff you buy :-D.
It was very powerful and kept us kids quiet for ages :-D :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 2 Aug 2021 19:01

Rum and black...like the Port and lemon much different to the pubs.
Best Christmas ever I awoke with a massive cold so I was sitting on my own in the back room watching telly with my rum and black while the rest of the family were in my Nans front room (kept for best), so I didn't give my germs to my Grandad...sadly he died not long afterwards.

Kentishmaid

Kentishmaid Report 2 Aug 2021 19:11

Can't beat proper Egg Nog LaGooner

Rum and black brings back memories Caroline, wonder if people still drink it?

Does anyone remember having a Pony? According to the web 'in the 1970s, Pony emerged as a brand of bastardized sherry '

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 2 Aug 2021 19:51

Babycham and lemonade. Then moved on to dry Martini and lemonade.
There was a drink I liked as a teenager called Biarittz, that disappeared soon after.
Pony was too sherry like for my taste. Drank a lot of Cherry B too.

Kentishmaid

Kentishmaid Report 2 Aug 2021 19:57

I remember trying brandy and Babycham once, never again

Cherry B was OK though

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 2 Aug 2021 20:02

I also used to have most of Dad's Guiness much to my Mother's horror :-D :-D

Kentishmaid

Kentishmaid Report 2 Aug 2021 20:05

When my son was a baby we used to go out for a drink on a summer evening and take him with us. I used to drink Guinness and if he dropped his dummy I would dip it in the Guinness to 'sterilise' it :-)

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 2 Aug 2021 20:28

:-D :-D :-D :-D.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Aug 2021 21:49

:-D :-D :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Aug 2021 22:09

As a child no alcohol, my Mum was strictly TTotal, signed the pledge and stuck to it all her life. My dad liked a sherry or a whisky but I was given a black currant drink or pineapple juice.
As a 16 year old in the Naafi with future husband it would be baby Cham or cherry b.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Aug 2021 09:18

Every Christmas, from about the age of 9, I was allowed watered down wine with dinner - probably because my elder siblings were allowed wine, and it was easier not to leave me out!
I enjoyed a snowball as well (probably watered down).

When we visited my gran, I was allowed a sherry glass of one or two of her home made wines - elderflower, nettle, gorse, etc. They were delicious - and strong! :-S

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 3 Aug 2021 09:28

Gin & Orange was my tipple :-D

I couldn't drink gin and orange cordial now, far too sweet ...yuk :-0

Give me a gin and tonic with ice and slice any day ;-) :-D :-D

Kentishmaid

Kentishmaid Report 3 Aug 2021 09:30

Babycham and Cherry B are very evocative of a certain era aren't they Ann

Home made wines, they sound rather delicious, and can be notoriously strong. I like elderflower and have acquired a taste in recent years for Sloe Gin which of course used to be home made back in the day

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Aug 2021 09:41

Yes I am talking about the late 50s. We did also used to go to one pub and have the home made wine they served, made on the premises I seem to remember. We went with friend as we didn't have a car in those days and they did. No drink driving laws either.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 3 Aug 2021 09:44

Port & lemonade was what I was allowed only on "highdays & holidays" It was fairly diluted though and i was about 15. The next drink at 16 was a Chinano (Spelling? )and lemonade. Maybe at xmas a Babysham but only the one lol

Kentish maid, a friend of mine lived in sussex and collected sloe berries and made Sloe Gin which actually as a liquer was rather nice even though, I dont like Gin.

Florence in the hebrides

Edit; Last time I visited my mum, I found 6 babysham glasses from the sixties still in a box!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 3 Aug 2021 09:54

What a deprived childhood! I’ve never heard of Cherry B. I loathed watered down wine.

As I grew older dad would do a Gin& It for me and no one could pour a Vodka and lime like he did. Could only ever manage one.

Kentishmaid

Kentishmaid Report 3 Aug 2021 10:02

Those glasses might be worth a bit now Florence. Some Sloe Gins seem to be more alcoholic than others, there is one that English Heritage do that I particularly like, think that is probably made the old fashioned way

I'm not a great fan of gin, seems the 'in' drink these days, in a variety of different flavours.

For a while I took a liking to Bacardi Breezers, trouble was I had to add a shot of Bacardi to them to enjoy them. In the summer I would add a couple of scoops of Coconut ice cream and a shot of Bacardi to the Pineapple one and have an
alcoholic ice cream soda.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 3 Aug 2021 11:20

Only once did I have alcohol as a child.
We'd gone to Wales and I developed a cold.
Out came Gran's homemade elderflower wine, which was heated up and given to me to drink to ward off the effects of the cold :-0
I hated it.

At Christmas time, so that my sister and I felt included in the dinnertime drink, our glasses were filled with blackcurrant cordial, which then looked similar to the adults' wine.

Kentishmaid

Kentishmaid Report 3 Aug 2021 11:23

I have never really liked blackcurrant drinks. Unfortunately we went to a posh do once and I took this glass off the tray as we went in, took one sip and almost spat it out. You've probably guessed, it was Kir Royale :-(