General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Not a racist post

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 12 Jul 2021 20:38

So please read this before you rr it.

There were some children being asked to comment on the football last night.

There was one very black little girl, originating from somewhere in East Africa I would imagine, wearing an Islamic head covering and when she opened her mouth, she was broad Bristol.

That really was not what I was expecting at all!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 Jul 2021 21:50

That's what happens when you're brought up in Bristol! :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 12 Jul 2021 21:56

I know.

You could imagine her saying "Yer, but, no but" like Vicky Pollard but looking very demure while she said it.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 Jul 2021 22:40

:-D :-D :-D

It used to be quite funny when I went to see my dad on a Friday.
He'd be in his thobe and ghutra -Islamic garb - it being a holy day, and I was dressed in the 'Western' manner..
A couple of times, we had people stop us and ask why he was dressed as he was, and I, his wife or daughter was wearing western clothes.
We had to explain, he was a Moslem, I wasn't - which really confused them.
Then I explained that Islam isn't fascism, and perhaps they should read/watch less about fundamentalism..

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 12 Jul 2021 22:59

My cousin has an Indian family next door and the three daughters speak with very broad North London Accents whereas there parents do not :-D :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Jul 2021 03:10

Some years ago we were in Europe, saw this absolutely gorgeous girl having lunch near us. I couldn't take my eyes of her because she really was beautiful. She happened to be black, that didn't matter.

But I was surprised when she walked past our table, and she had a very broad Birmingham accent!

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 13 Jul 2021 09:46

yeah like that Zoopla advert

Its only bricks and Mor ...er innit?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 13 Jul 2021 10:14

Someone got out of bed on the wrong side a bit late this morning. It hadn’t been reported earlier..

In a sense the OP was pointing out that we shouldn’t make snap judgements. Shame the Rr’r didn’t see that.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 13 Jul 2021 11:33

one of my nieces, born in west ham moved to wales at an early age

at about age 11 she had the most,(to me) delightful accent.....

moving from wales back to london, at about 16.... she soon developed the most 'orrible common accent.... would'nt think it was the same girl!

Sharron

Sharron Report 13 Jul 2021 12:24

Like that Scottish seikh chef. That accent is not supposed to come out from under a turban.

Island

Island Report 13 Jul 2021 12:33

Why not Sharron? :-S

Sharron

Sharron Report 13 Jul 2021 12:56

That accent comes from under a Glengarry..

Same as 'Luton Airport' really.

Island

Island Report 13 Jul 2021 13:13

Oh come on Sharron, have you only just noticed that people with darker skin sometimes have 'UK' accents?
Did you miss Lenny Henry, Trevor McDonald, Don Warrington (actor) and a whole host of other people in the public eye?
Have you not met many black people?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Jul 2021 13:33

If you live in an area where the accent/dialect isn't very strong, and someone comes along with a really strong, amazing accent, It's not necessarily the colour of the skin - it's the unexpectedness!

I'd also like to point out, that in the sleepy backwater where Sharron lives, I doubt there are many 'incomers' of any creed or colour!

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 13 Jul 2021 13:34

Apologies I should have said this earlier but became tied up in a rather long conference call.

I reported the opening post because in my mind it was racial, maybe unintentionally but you obviously had your own doubts Sharron, simply by justifying the content in the title…..

My children are white British, they don’t have the same accent as me….would they warrant a mention, I think maybe not….

namelessone…thank you for your thoughts on my morning routine, I always get out of bed the same side, the other is deemed my lovers, whether he’s in it or not to roll across a king size bed to simply “get out the wrong side” takes far to much effort, in my opinion. I didn’t reply directly I read the post, I wanted to see if I felt the same after mulling it over….hopefully this has cleared things up for you.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 13 Jul 2021 14:26

Thank you for explaining everything ( including your bedtime routine ;-) ).

If Sharron had not put that caveat in about it not meaning to be racist thenI would agree that it was potentially racist. I think Maggie made a good point at 1.33. I also live in a very small community so it is unusual to see/ hear a lot of foreign accents.
Nowadays it is not only accents that make you look twice. Even the chap with the parrot on his shoulder (true) made you look twice. Life is becoming very complicated.

Island

Island Report 13 Jul 2021 14:33

Maggie, I read Sharrons post yesterday and it WAS about skin colour!
I didn't consider it especially racist, rather more 'ignorant' and about 40+ years behind the times!
I thought we'd all got over the novelty of someone with darker skin having a posh or brummie accent by the 1980s!
What accent was that little girl supposed to have?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 13 Jul 2021 14:40

I read somewhere within the last few months of a woman with a very complicated African style surname who claimed we were all racist as we didn’t know how to pronounce the name but appeared not to explain how to say it.

Is it South Africa where the official language is to be ‘click’? Are we to be called racist because we haven’t a clue how to do that.

Island

Island Report 13 Jul 2021 14:49

namelessone, you could learn - if you really wanted to LOL

Caroline

Caroline Report 13 Jul 2021 15:17

Missed the OP shame the rest of us adults can't make our own minds up on whether we should be offended by the OP!!