General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Ritz Hotel.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 28 Jun 2021 15:20

On tv tonight at 10:00, looks good, only £700 for a superior for 2 people, cheap as chips......... not.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 28 Jun 2021 16:09

RTR, we intend to stay there for a couple of days, after all like my mum used to say " they don't put pockets in shrouds."

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 29 Jun 2021 13:33

A very good programme, did anyone else watch it?

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 29 Jun 2021 14:00

I’m not sure whether I’ve seen it in the programme ‘The World’s Greatest Hotels’ (at least that was what the series was called, I think). It included The Balmoral in Edinburgh and, I think, Raffles in Singapore.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 29 Jun 2021 16:45

Well, Rollo, I am pretty sure that Raffles was included in the programme I saw.

We had coffee as well as drinks there before it had a makeover and when I saw it on telly after the makeover, I thought it was nicer in the 1980s and very different from the other hotels featured. It was the difference that made it special then.

Alas, I thought the makeover made it look more like the other hotels so I came to the conclusion that it will be the staff that make for greatness.

The staff members at Raffles were fantastic - even more so when they saw Dtr’s cabbage patch doll which seemed to fascinate them. We ended up with lots of treats, they went above and beyond …..

Gnddtr recently stayed in The Balmoral for a couple of nights for the rugby and she said it, too, was very nice. It’s a bit too much for our pensioner pockets now but you never know … one day …

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Jun 2021 17:05

What were the staff like, when you were at Raffles, Rollo?

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 30 Jun 2021 23:29

I won't be going to Raffles Hotel but when I go The Ritz I will let you know what they are like there.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 30 Jun 2021 23:32

That'll be interesting, ZZzzz - especially after seeing the programme! :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 1 Jul 2021 12:57

So you’ve not been there for about 40 years but still consider yourself an authority on the current hotel.

I hope you reconsidered your theft and sent them a cheque in recompense.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Jul 2021 15:49

So the last time you were there was in the '80's
quote RTR - "Last time I was there 1980s"
But the last time you were there was a few years ago?
Yet your 'assessment' was from the '80's.

Staff tend to be best assessed when you're awake.
One generally doesn't need them when asleep.

:-S :-S

Caroline

Caroline Report 1 Jul 2021 17:08

Fancy admitting to nicking the towels....never felt the need to nick anything in my life boring aren't I!!

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 1 Jul 2021 17:26

It is probably the only way he could get towels. :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 1 Jul 2021 17:50

I wonder what the statutes of limitations are in Singapore?

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 1 Jul 2021 18:05

Rollo, all we have left from the towels, tea towels, bar mats, pens, and other stuff we got free without the need to purloin anything, I may have some swizzle sticks somewhere but as the kids loved them, I may not!

If only you’d been sweeter …

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Jul 2021 23:58

Oooh - look JoyLouise!

Quote from RTR:
"Once a hotel becomes the no.1 item on the menu rather than the guest it will struggle to be truly a great hotel. Such places tend to have a low profile and never appear on Channel 5."

https://.channel5.com/show/inside-the-worlds-greatest-hotels/

Raffles Hotel was on the programme.

It would have been easier for RTR to see what hotels were on the programme before sallying forth with an air that he knows it all, with opinon put across as 'fact' before declaring someone's wrong.
But then, I suppose, he couldn't have told his stories.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 2 Jul 2021 00:17

More like fairy tales Maggie :-D :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 2 Jul 2021 00:41

Why can't people just shut up when they know they are in the wrong, instead of digging themselves into a deeper hole?.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Jul 2021 00:45

Probably because they can't believe they're ever wrong - and would write a thesis on why they're right, rather than admit they don't know what they're talking about :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 2 Jul 2021 11:53

Empty vessels make the most noise. :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 Jul 2021 12:01

My OH reckons one of the reasons some hotels have such high prices is because some unscrupulous people walk off with hotel property. Maybe the rest of us who don’t do that should get a discount.