General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How NOT to diss your Gran!

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 19 Feb 2021 14:49

You'd think I followed royal 'doings' closely, but I don't. However, this latest episode from La La Land made the lunchtime news today and I thought it was rather shocking behaviour.

Following a Buckingham Palace statement that it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service .....,

came the response:

'We can all live a life of service. Service is universal.'

Someone needs to give his head a shake for allowing those cheeky and rather nasty (IMO) words to be released with regard to the Queen's BP press release.

For goodness sake, HM is 90+ and her OH is 99 and in hospital. 'Pile on the agony, why don't you, H & M?'

I hope the statement was prepared by an employee who has been given his/her marching orders and not by H or M and I hope that H never saw it before it was released to the Press.

Gosh, the saga continues. What petulance from a couple!

Island

Island Report 19 Feb 2021 14:57

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........ :-\ :-\ :-\

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 19 Feb 2021 15:09

Lost interest in life around you, Island? :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Feb 2021 15:44

I see it more as them saying that they will still be giving service but in their own way.

Prince Harry, is never going to be close to the throne so he will not need to be accommodated a Prince Andrew has had to be and what a disaster that has been. Both Andrew and Harry had found their places in the armed forces and would probably have each of them thrived had they been allowed to carry on with that occupation.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 Feb 2021 15:45

There was a 'lovely' story yesterday that Harry had gone into self imposed isolation and had a private jet on standby so he could fly to London if the news about his grandfather was bad. Best bit was that he wouldn't have to isolate in a hotel (if required) as he was a member of the Royal Family and was exempt.

Now looking forward to seeing him sticking messages in a hotel window at Heathrow!!!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 19 Feb 2021 15:47

Bit like my Dad when Mum made him leave the Navy eventually. She always told me he only left because she wanted him to and she wanted him to because she wanted a family life with Dad at home daily.

I never heard him mention it once but he was never a moaning minnie, thank goodness.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 19 Feb 2021 15:48

names - ROFL :-D :-D :-D

Island

Island Report 19 Feb 2021 19:37

Not part of my life Joy.

Why allow yourself to be baited by the press who have had the knives out for Megan from day on. Likewise Harry from any early age, oh and his mother.
Don't be a puppet.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Feb 2021 23:47

uh oh

Joy ...... you've sent to naughty step, and on a Friday.

That means you'll be there for several days.

Do you wish to order delivered meals?

What would you like??

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Feb 2021 23:49

Actually, they've worked hard this week to upset granny ............ there's supposed to be a tell-all interview coming up with their dear friend Oprah Winfrey.

Hmmmm ..... that might upset any granny, let alone a 95 year old.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 20 Feb 2021 00:09

I've just spotted this, Sylvia.

I wonder who was upset by my comment to Island, 'Stop pulling my strings,' in response to her 'Don't be a puppet.'

I thought I exercised restraint. :-D

Ah, well, it takes all sorts .....

Since you ask, Sylvia, I am quite partial to fish and being a Lancashire lass at heart and by birth, I like my fish to be accompanied by mushy peas - but no potatoes please. :-D

Wait for it - how long will it be before the RRer springs from the starting block on her (or his) high horse? :-D :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Feb 2021 03:58

we'll have to wait and see

I'll see about getting the fish and chips to you, but I'm afraid I must be the only Lancashire lass born and bred who doesn't like mushy pears :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 20 Feb 2021 09:08

How sad for you Sylvia. ;-) ;-) ;-)

Our nearest fish shop was, at one time, in Farnworth Street (where our dairy was too). It was quick enough to get to through the bombed-out spaces.

When it closed the family began to use a Greek-owned fish shop along Kenny whose mushies were every bit as good.

I had moved by then but spent my holidays with my grandparents and got up to all sorts with my cousins whose thought pretty much as I did and whose company I thoroughly enjoyed. Until last March we still got together regularly.

Allan

Allan Report 20 Feb 2021 11:04

For JoyLouise

https://tinyurl.com/48f5bak7

:-D :-D

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 20 Feb 2021 11:18

Nice to hear Sandie again, Allan :-D or should I be thanking the RRer :-D :-D

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 20 Feb 2021 12:15

Surely mushy peas are a Yorkshire delicacy - in fact I've heard them referred to as Yorkshire Caviar!
I don't wish to restart the War of the Roses but as Yorkshire born and bred ( just happen to live on Cornwall ) I felt I had to defend my native county.
As to the Harry and Megan news in all the papers - there used to be a saying that next week they'll be fish and chip wrappers!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 20 Feb 2021 12:23

Yes, Belle, Iiiii wonder if one day that you'll say that ..... <3 :-D

Well, Susie, that's the first time I've heard that. :-S

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 20 Feb 2021 12:29

I had to look it up - apparently just outside Manchester in the mid-1800s. :-)

Island

Island Report 20 Feb 2021 13:06

Crikey Joy! How did you manage that? :-S Pulling? Strings? :-S :-S
Was somebody testing the blaster button just to see if it works? Mo Stodd

Back to topic - did you see that an Aussie rag ran a cover story about Harry and Meghan splitting up - the day before the second pregnancy announcement? My goodness they must have worked fast LOL

West Midlands born here and no stranger to the mushy pea so was horrified on moving south to find they passed processed peas off as mushies :-0 Blasphemy!

Dermot

Dermot Report 20 Feb 2021 13:27

August Philip Hawke Brooksbank. - a slither of warming news for a change.