General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is the GRO site still down —- updated

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Feb 2021 16:39

Keep trying to log in but get a message it’s an unsafe site and won’t connect me when I click connect anyway :-0 :-(

Edit it’s working again on my iPad

Just checked in case and got in straight away :-D

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 4 Feb 2021 16:44

I’m having trouble as well Shirley. I can’t get to login. I only want to check something I’ve found on FreeBMD.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Feb 2021 16:48

Frustrating isn’t it

I am wanting to check some births for mmn pre 1900

:-(

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 4 Feb 2021 17:00

no problem with my laptop and Chrome,

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Feb 2021 17:08

I am on my laptop but have safari

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 4 Feb 2021 17:37

others are saying Safari isn't working on GRO Shirley, change browser if you need to.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Feb 2021 17:56

Can’t change browser on iPad

Apple uses safari

Darned annoying

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 4 Feb 2021 18:01

Yes you can use a different browser on iPad. I use google chrome, just download it or another browser of your choice from the App Store . You can just leave Safari there as well

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Feb 2021 18:06

Oh ok thanks

I will try that

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 4 Feb 2021 18:48

I was also on a iPad with Safari. I've just tried with Firefox on my PC and had no problem getting in. Frustratingly I still couldn't check what I wanted as I wanted a birth in 1948 and discovered the births go up to 1934 and start again at 1984.

Von

Von Report 4 Feb 2021 18:53

Not working on my IPad but perfectly ok on my lap top.

Strange because I use chrome on my IPad. :-S

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 4 Feb 2021 19:52

Firefox was fine at about 6ish this evening :-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Feb 2021 20:28

I used my laptop to look at the gro

Decided there are others things on my iPad liked stored passwords etc that may be upset if I changed browser so didn’t want to take a chance

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Feb 2021 20:29

Suffolk Vera
Couldn’t you try freebmd ?

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 4 Feb 2021 20:53

Shirley, I wanted to check a name I had already found on freebmd but which didn’t seem quite right. I wondered if it might appear differently on the GRO list

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 4 Feb 2021 20:53

The GR site is not down.

Neither FreeBMD nor GR carry a complete version of the GRO Index. The nealy complete version is with GRO themselves and after that Ancestry. The FreeBMD also carries a large number of user subnitted corrections and comments.

All of the major browsers are toughening the way in which web sites make connections especially regarding security. Old unreformed code is likely to throw all kinds of access errors such as 502, failed connections etc etc.
Firefox, Chrome and Edge def allow the user to relax conditions for specific web sites (I don't use Safari) as a work around.

ISPs are also improving their network security, some more than others.

GR has had a good run with pretty well no maintenance. Soon somebody will have to give it a lick of paint or the door will fall off of its hinges. Phil Moir is about the only person around who knows the codebase and he has moved on - the last I heard he was working for London's buses.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 4 Feb 2021 21:19

I thought this thread was about problems with the GRO website not GEnes/GR :-S

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 4 Feb 2021 22:20

GRO gas nit been down either though it is a tad slower than usual. I ordered 2certs today with a bit of research no problems.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 5 Feb 2021 08:48

You’d think nits weren’t so much a problem now that few kids are in school.

GRO needs to pop into the Chemists to get treatments for their various problems. :-D

Island

Island Report 5 Feb 2021 09:42

or the gas board.....

:-D