General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Will he, won’t he?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 31 Oct 2020 16:20

So is Boris going to send us all into lockdown? We will be glued to the tv as daughter is getting her new flat on Monday. Sofa bed due to be delivered on Wednesday as her bed won’t arrive til Friday.

Dermot

Dermot Report 31 Oct 2020 16:50

Probably. :-0

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 31 Oct 2020 17:02

Dear All

Oh no.

Not again.

I would use stronger language but it not after the watershed.

Take gentle care of yourselves
Best wishes to you all
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 31 Oct 2020 17:04

Yes. Although he is about to speak, grndtr told me she had to sign a new 'furlough' form at work yesterday. Her company will top it up so she will receive 75% of her usual salary.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 31 Oct 2020 17:24

They must be having big bust ups behind the black door. We’ve gone from 4 to 5 now he might tell us at 6 o’clock. :-|

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 31 Oct 2020 17:27

Watching that, names, and wondering what is going on. :-S

Kense

Kense Report 31 Oct 2020 17:42

Anyone planning a pre lockdown party for Wednesday?

Island

Island Report 31 Oct 2020 17:46

A 'catch it while you can' party Ken? :-0
I'm sure there will be plenty :-S

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 31 Oct 2020 17:47

I'm wondering whether the delay is over schools not being included in lockdown?

Gen Secretary of the National Education Union calling for schools to be closed too. He says it would only be a half-measure lockdown if schools remained open. I tend to agree.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 31 Oct 2020 17:52

I think it is the unions wanting the schools closed that might be causing the delay and also it gives Rishi time to try using the inside of a fag packet to try to come up with yet more money the pay people to stay at home.

Kath. x

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 31 Oct 2020 18:43

I am with you Joy...infection rates have risen 50 fold in secondary schools, these pupils then go home to their family and mingle with the general public en route!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 31 Oct 2020 19:19

Agree. Not going to school may affect their education, but Covid can affect their lives in a much worse way - not only through the possible death of a loved one, but their own death, and those who survive may have long term problems.

It's not rocket science - have free classes for ex pupils to hone their skills when the pandemic has gone - like they used to have. I took my GCSE in Maths when I was 30!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 31 Oct 2020 19:23

Well, now we know.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 31 Oct 2020 19:33

Well, after his turning up late! :-|

Kay

Kay Report 31 Oct 2020 23:41

I think it's ridiculous he hasn't closed schools. I live near a school and recently happened to be passing at home time. There was a multitude of parents outside waiting to meet their children and I honestly didn't see one mask! They must have thought "social distancing" was a foreign word. I crossed over the road to avoid having to walk through them all spread over the pavement.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 31 Oct 2020 23:58

I agree. He should have closed the schools and universities, They keep saying we can't jeopardize the children's education but it's only been a matter of months. A lot of kids during WW2 missed years of education but that generation didn't do too badly, did they?

Kath. x

Dermot

Dermot Report 1 Nov 2020 07:23

Hindsight is easier than foresight.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Nov 2020 12:45

But we have the example of the 1918 flu outbreak, and better science, medicine, technology etc.
This Government doesn't want to listen to science, and is using flawed technology.
I'm not sure their grasp on history is too good, either.

The WHO has pandemic practice planning every few years - Influenza Preparedness and Response. It may be for influenza, but it's still planning for a pandemic.
Shame this Government couldn't be bothered to fully involve itself in 2017 - hence PPE etc in storage was out of date.

Kay

Kay Report 1 Nov 2020 23:30

Good point Kathleenbell.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 2 Nov 2020 11:49

I think they may well be planning on extending this current lockdown.

I think our pollies are using soft-soap a little too regularly.