General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Debate

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Oct 2020 14:29

I, for one, very much enjoy a good,reasoned debate and it would appear that there may be others on this site who also enjoy one. We did have the makings of one the other day until it descended into name calling because not everybody had the same ideas.

Not knowing much about much myself, I am sure I would benefit from seeing how others view topics and maybe learn a bit as well.

Would anybody else like to take part in a proper debate occasionally on the premise that we will never all agree on the same things?

I did try something similar on here a few years ago but that was discussing a painting which, as I recall, was the Fighting Temeraire, which I know was not quite the same. Would anybody like to do something like that.

Alternatively, if you would like me to show off my own expertise, I could tell you all about knitting dishcloths and pickling onions. You would like that wouldn't you?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 20 Oct 2020 14:45

A debate on the best way to knit a dishcloth perhaps.

It was a shame the recent discussion fell into the black hole of multiple reporting.
There were some good views expressed but there was also lecturing ( or hectoriing) which has no place in reasoned debate.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 20 Oct 2020 14:50

I think Dermot probably meant to post that on the Abortion Law thread.

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Oct 2020 14:55

I knit dishcloths by casting on four stitches and knitting a couple of rows and then increasing one on each row as this helps them to hold their shape.

I won't comment on Dermot's post because I don't think he meant it for here either.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 20 Oct 2020 15:07

I gave up knitting years ago because of wrist issues, but I’m sure you have to cast off sometime. ;-). Or are you planning to cover the whole of West Sussex with one dishcloth :-S

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Oct 2020 15:13

Yes.

Dermot

Dermot Report 20 Oct 2020 15:20

Apologies! I was hoping to ignite a debate as hinted initially by Sharron.

Having little or no dishcloth experiences, I'll just delete my erroneous intrusions. :-S

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 20 Oct 2020 15:27

Dermot :-D

Why not repost it on the Abortion Law thread - it is a good subject for debate, although some people have rather extreme views.

My mum used to knit string vests for my Dad. I always thought it strange attire for a city gent. Even though he wore it under his shirt :-D

Edit: OMG. I’ve now got a mental image of my dad as Rab C Nesbit wearing a bowler hat.

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Oct 2020 15:29

Oh, I am sorry, Dermot.

As you had already started a post concerning abortion, I thought that was where you were meaning to put your post. It seemed of much greater relevance to that and fairly similar too.

I really don't know if I want to get very embroiled in a debate like that, never mind two, as it is ot very relevant to me and I have absolutely no empirical experience of anything even slightly similar so don't think I could form very solid opinion but somebody is going to have to summon a great deal of strength through the years and I do wish them all the very best.

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Oct 2020 15:31

When I have increased to fifty, I knit across and start decreasing one on every row until i am down to four, Smartbotty!

Sharron

Sharron Report 21 Oct 2020 13:14

Just nudging this thread up in case the new lady who has introduced herself has any interest in knitting dishcloths.

You ever know!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 21 Oct 2020 13:22

Would this be the (k)nitwit group ;-) :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 21 Oct 2020 14:52

Nora Batty was prone to knitting.

Sharron

Sharron Report 21 Oct 2020 15:25

Was she? I never saw her portrayed as doing any.

It was quite the fashion in Paris at one time.

Oh dear, should I have mentioned that?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 21 Oct 2020 15:58

Madame Defatge!

Apparrantley Tom Daley likes to knit.

Dermot

Dermot Report 21 Oct 2020 16:01

Sharron - "Off with their heads!"

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 21 Oct 2020 16:17

Dermot has been eating Jelly Babies again

Caroline

Caroline Report 21 Oct 2020 19:03

You haven't told us the pickled onions yet Sharron :-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 21 Oct 2020 19:33

Um,well.

You get some onions and then you pickle them.

I've got some well yummy picallili (?) I made in the summer at the moment.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 21 Oct 2020 19:46

Don’t you get ‘Revenge of the Pickle’ or was that one of your other delicious.