General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

public loos

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Oct 2020 12:15

Just reading newspaper on line and an article about the fact that so many people, some with disabilities and some elderly are confined to their homes, can't visit the towns or shops because councils have shut the public toilets. Some have been left distressed and humiliated. Don't you think this is horrific when we are supposed to be a civilised country. People have admitted resorting to squatting in closed car parks, behind bushes etc. One woman was even refused the use of the toilet at her doctors' surgery.

And they talk about the economy suffering. Maybe they should think about why this is when a lot of the population just are not able to visit towns for shopping.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Oct 2020 12:26

The people who deemed loos should be closed obviously never learnt the art of
‘hover’ ;-)

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Oct 2020 12:57

This is such a major issue for people of all political persuasions that I am surprised the Guardian does not have a view on it.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 18 Oct 2020 13:20

Surely loos are funded by local councils therefore the reds are as much to blame as tories

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Oct 2020 13:30

Apparently yes they are LG but surprisingly I don't think they have a legal responsibility to provide them. I actually don't know what it is like in our local towns because we have not been for a long time. Back in March loos were available in Wetherspoons and M&S and when I went in for a quick chiropodist visit M&S loos were open, that was in September.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 18 Oct 2020 13:35

The loos around here in 3 of our local towns are owned by the same local council and they are disgusting I would not go in them if you paid me. :-|

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Oct 2020 13:39

I once posted a thread on here saying I would not be going to Petersfield again because of the new lavatories and I never have so I don't know if this still applies.

The old, free, lavatories there were demolished and a spanking new block erected individual, unisex lavatories which cost 20p to use. However, there was a free facility which consisted of a row of male urinals!

They evidently didn't want me in their town spending my money.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Oct 2020 14:38

Disgusting loos. That is where being able to tiptoe and hover come in handy.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Oct 2020 15:11

Not much use if you are about early or coming home from the pub.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 18 Oct 2020 15:19

Our local council (most definitely not Tory) is facing cuts and had to decide which public loos to keep open.

In the village we have shops, a pub, a cafe and a ferry terminal. The last named brings lots of day-trippers in the summer and the loos were well-used and well cared for. They are on the closure list and there is uproar locally!!

We await events.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Oct 2020 15:40

In our village the council decided to Close the loos near the railway station and the main village car park which were also 1 minute from the shops but kept open the ones near the play area several about 10 - 15 minutes away.
The locals fund the more convenient convenience.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 18 Oct 2020 15:55

A seaside place not too far from us had a loo which cleaned itself.

You paid your ? whatever it was a couple of years ago?, used the loo, washed your hands, came out and the loo would self lock and clean itself top to bottom with disinfectant.

It won't be open now but I've never heard of another like it.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Oct 2020 16:03

A small shopping area near me had the most disgusting public loos. An older friend of mine invariably had to use them then they were replaced with the coin operated self cleaning type. She knows how they work as she got stuck inside at least twice.

Since then she has discovered where the supermarket has a loo.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 18 Oct 2020 16:12

OH and I were lucky then. We used that loo on several occasions (20 p he thinks) and never got stuck inside.

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Oct 2020 16:15

One of the garages on the A3 was having refurbishment so it had two of those self-cleaning jobs which were placed with the doors facing the road.

I was well menopausal and doing ten gallons to the mile so I used ever facility I could.so I was not going to pass by there.

In I go, legs crossed and into the cubicle. In my hurry, I was trying to close the door quickly. Well, they won't have it, they must close themselves. Thank goodness i stopped trying because i was going to have to go by then, there was no turning back and I pictured myself sitting in splendour, with the passing A3 traffic having some entertainment on an otherwise very dull journey.

Dermot

Dermot Report 18 Oct 2020 16:16

Some euphemisms change the focus for comic effect, as in pointing percy at the porcelain.

'Pay-per-pee'.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 18 Oct 2020 17:06

Sharron ha ha - sorry, I have a keen sense of humour, warped as it may be!

OMG my memory's given up on me.

I was watching something ludicrous last night (it may have been on catch-up) where two guys decided to cut a hole in a rather regal-looking chair (like a throne) and place it over the loo. Then that old euphemism 'going to the throne-room' would have been right!

You see what you've done, Dermot. You've aroused the ridiculous in me! :-0 :-S

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 18 Oct 2020 17:07

It could even have been an Ad, I just can't remember! :-S

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Oct 2020 17:20

RTR - you appear extremely knowledgeable about public loos in Christchurch.
What about public toilets in Islington, where you say you live?

Dermot

Dermot Report 18 Oct 2020 17:29

No mention lately of toilet paper scarcity. ;-)