General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BBC news flash

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Jul 2020 09:22

Face masks mandatory from 24 July in shops.

Kense

Kense Report 14 Jul 2020 09:26

Why the delay of ten days? If it needs to be mandatory it should be from no later than tomorrow.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Jul 2020 09:56

To allow people to prepare, they say. I am sure most people have already got masks now though but I think they want it done from tomorrow but mandatory from 24th.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jul 2020 10:17

So, the stable door is to be closed in 10 days time! :-D :-D :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 14 Jul 2020 10:34

and restaurants, I believe...

straws anybody?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Jul 2020 10:35

Bob I think you can remove masks while at your table but have to replace them if you walk to the loo.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 Jul 2020 10:50

I think the 10 day delay is to give time to get the legislation in place. You can't just issue fines without there being proper legislation and that takes time.

Personally I think that wearing masks should be any time you are out of your house or car. It would keep us all safe from other people.

I have been out of my house very few times over the last 4 months but have never been out without a mask.

Kath. x

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 14 Jul 2020 11:27

The face masks do NOT endow the wearer with enhanced protection but they are a "jolly good thing" for the customers of shop assistants, reception staff, bus drivers and so on..

There is not much point in wearing them on the street and outside - covid thrives in enclosed spaces, even better if they are damp. That's why shared showers for sports are not back in use.

The law does not require a face mask, just a face covering which can be a home made mask or a scarf etc. Quite a cottage industry is evolving in washable designer masks.

Quite predictably vaccine research based on t-bodies has run into the sand. The alternative approach, based on the ACE20 receptor, show promise albeit with not much chance of creating long term immunity just as with 'flu.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fped.2020.00206/full

Unless resarchers come up with some sort of effective treatment during 2021/2 there will be have to be some pretty massive changes in the way commerce and everyday living go on.

Although the EU is in remission for the moment it is more likely than not that there will be serious "spikes" over the coming winter compounding the usual nhs flu problems. The govt is therefore going to make a determined effor to get as many people over 55 immunised as possible against the most likely strain of flu. Current estimates of "extra deaths" are pretty bad mainly affecting the old and frail again.

Whether Johnson's government can survive the twin wammies of covid-19 and a no deal brexit is an open question especially if a major £ sterling crisis erupts.

If it does not the sharp change in population distribution by age will be a key factor should there be a forced election. Plenty of Tories, some in the cabinet, are not "on side" with the Cummings, Johnson and Gove trio.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Jul 2020 12:50

We don't wear masks when out walking, it is better to be able to breath in the fresh air and we rarely see anybody on our walks. Those we do see are always at least 2 metres away. We will, of course, comply with wearing them in shops and enclosed spaces but I do find it difficult with not being able to hear and not being able to see when glasses mist up.

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 14 Jul 2020 16:25

Haven't tried it yet but apparently if you smear a small amount of washing up liquid on your lens and then polish it off that should prevent them steaming up. Unless you just end up with a face full of bubbles of course!

Dermot

Dermot Report 14 Jul 2020 16:33

I suppose the proposed 'Facial Recognition' programme will be put on hold for now.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jul 2020 17:16

I'd forgotten about that, Dermot.

Apparently, "The Home Office and Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) are collaborating with researchers on a live facial recognition (LFR) project that could identify people wearing masks or other face coverings"

Can you see those flying pigs? :-D :-D :-D :-D

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 14 Jul 2020 17:58

I do agree with this in princeible but why do shop assistants not have to wear them :-S

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jul 2020 18:20

Most shop assistants should be behind perspex screens.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Jul 2020 18:39

I have only been out a few times and have put on a mask in the car before exiting and taken off only when back in the car

Have also wiped down the car door handles and the steering wheel too with wipes

Anything that gives me confidence going out helps my peace of mind

Have had a chiropractor appointment and she was all gowned and masked and have a body massage appointment and hair appointment in the next few weeks and am happy with the practises they have put in place

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 15 Jul 2020 12:32

My doctor says that a face visor may be worn instead of a face mask.
They are far more comfortable and do not have the same problems for spectacle wearers.

If we end up with most people wearing masks it will be 101 Christmases for thieves.

Von

Von Report 15 Jul 2020 13:53

Ann - why not see if you can obtain a face visor. Lots of schools and universities have

been making them or I'm sure you can probably get something online.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 15 Jul 2020 14:05

The cashiers are behind screens but the shop floor staff will presumably have to wear masks or shields. I went to our local large Tesco (which I usually avoid) early one day last week and it felt more 'crowded' than normal even though there weren't many shoppers. It was obviously prime time for the staff picking things for deliveries, very bulky 'trolleys' and lots of obstructions, plus extra stuff in the aisles as produce was being re-stocked.

I had to go to the dentist this week and luckily the treatment I need will not require too much 'intervention'. Luckily I've not been in pain and really feel for anyone who has suffered in this way, extreme toothache is the pits :-(

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Jul 2020 15:44

Our dentist is apparently doing emergencies only so our inspections will have to wait (shame!!!).

I wore my mask this morning, I washed my glasses lens with soap and water wiped it off gently then let it dry. I changed to my previous glasses which don't have full frames and are a bit narrower than my latest ones (I can still see with them the prescription didn't change much). They didn't steam up. we went in for coffee at the garden centre, it was well organised neither of us could hear what the lady on the door said but we guessed she needed our name and phone number. Behind screens at the counter the staff had visors on.

We did think of visors but they look a bit awkward to wear, don't know how they feel. The mask was fine today, escept hot and a bit claustrophobic. No doubt we will get used to it.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 15 Jul 2020 17:05

There are Face shields to buy and they are better than the face masks,
bought at Amazon.