General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Staying Closed Easter Sunday .*******

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbra

Barbra Report 9 Apr 2020 11:38

*******Large Supermarkets are staying closed Easter Sunday so people will be queueing up Saturday come on surely Staff need a break they work hard .Barbara *******

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 9 Apr 2020 11:44

Totally agree with you...

The staff will be glad of the rest,

Kay????

Kay???? Report 9 Apr 2020 11:44

In addition to regulating opening by large shops on Sunday, the Sunday Trading Act 1994 prohibits large shops from opening on Easter Sunday.

No choice,

Hilary

Hilary Report 9 Apr 2020 12:01

I agree, staff need a break, bet people will go mad as usual so think they should shut Monday as well to give them a longer break, just my opinion.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 9 Apr 2020 12:07

The co-op stores will be open 7/7.
https://www.coop.co.uk/coronavirus

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Apr 2020 12:12

rollo I can't see where they say they will open Easter Sunday when even in normal years shops are shut on Easter sunday. I think, unless under a cerain size.

And of course they should shut this year. the staff have been rushed off their feet they deserve a break. Providing they don't all decide it is a day for meeting friends at the beach or in the country (or even in their own homes.)

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 9 Apr 2020 12:27

According to their website our Co-op is open normally on Easter Sunday, but I know that's wrong as all their hours are reduced at the moment.

I don't usually go shopping on a Sunday, but I agree that the staff deserve a break. The cashier on Tuesday told me she was exhausted, as they are all working double shifts. Although it was quiet while I was there, she said it had been manic earlier (at 7am) and would probably be busy again later. If she gets a day off, I suspect it will be spent catching up on sleep!!

Island

Island Report 9 Apr 2020 14:51

Not a bad idea. it will give law abiding citizens a chance to shop in peace, as the great unwashed head off for a day out.

cynical? me? :-0

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 9 Apr 2020 16:26

My OH works for the co-op.
They always open at Easter - the only day in the year they don't open is Dec 25.

She was at work until 11pm last night directing deliveries for Easter.
Although the shops are shutting early at 8pm 'cos of the much higher turnover and minimal storage space the staff and managers go on working. Most of the stores have temp staff under the govt scheme. As most have no experience at all in grocery retail they are a mixed blessing.

So far one co-op worker has died of CV, Bath Somerset.
The co-op has installed screens but the staff have had to buy their own gloves if they want more than one pair each week.

All the part timers working extra hours have had to agree to take holiday in May/June so that they won't quailfy for a bonus.

fwiw the shop lifters do not appear to have self isolated.

There are lots of people working in order to keep the essential wheels of everyday life turning . C21 cities are very complex structures, something that has come as a massive surprise for the govt front bench.

scientia imperii decus et tutamen

Dermot

Dermot Report 9 Apr 2020 16:35

The last lockdown: 13th-century England’s six years without Mass. 

Island

Island Report 9 Apr 2020 18:05

Our local co-op is always closed on Easter Sunday.
No idea if they will open this Sunday as I won't be shopping.
I hope the staff get the day off.

Hilary

Hilary Report 9 Apr 2020 18:53

All the small shops will be open as usual on Sunday, it goes on square footage. I also worked at the Coop until I retired & my store is only closed on christmas day, sorry I don't agree with it even though I am now retired. Staff deserve more time off.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 9 Apr 2020 19:35

However did we manage with early closing Wednesdays?(thursday) and all shops closed on sundays???

Woe is me...

Island

Island Report 9 Apr 2020 19:56

Shops in Oxford Street, London, used to close on Saturday afternoon Bob.
We managed because we were aware and planned.

Dermot

Dermot Report 9 Apr 2020 20:28

Not many, if any, churches open during this very special weekend.

Viewing some services on Webcam will never replace the real thing.

Barbra

Barbra Report 9 Apr 2020 20:58

When I was younger a lot of shops closed Good Friday & Easter Sunday near us was one selling fish on Friday..how times have changed. so greedy now profit before workers .Barbara

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 9 Apr 2020 20:59

Island, Quite so....
Like remembering to get tomorrows dinner out of the freezer,

Barbra

Barbra Report 11 Apr 2020 11:57

Seen on the news people queuing up to shop for Easter they are only shut Sunday It makes me ashamed of our human race the greed is just beyond me .the staff will need a day of should be Monday as well God help them before they finish tonight probably open till 10pm Barbara

Andrew

Andrew Report 11 Apr 2020 12:24

I went to our local Tesco this morning - by choice, we are trying to shop once a week and need a lot of stuff, four adults three meals a day.

the queue was so long you could get to know your neighbour, have a relatiuonship and start a family.

The checkout lady said she had worked for last 35 days (her choice, not forced) and was looking forward to a few days off.

Andy

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 Apr 2020 12:26

Apparently small 'convenience' Co-ops will be open on Sunday, not the larger stores.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/10/co-op-opening-times-good-friday-easter-sunday-easter-monday-2020-12538984/

Here's the rest of them:

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/shopping/easter-2020-supermarket-opening-times-tesco-asda-alid-sainsburys-morrisons-lidl-hours-bank-holidays-2530778