General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any plans?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 Mar 2020 09:33

Soon some of us will have to self isolate. Either cos we feel poorly or someone in the household has the virus. The ‘elderly’ will soon be instructed to stay indoors.

So have you any plans to keep yourself busy?

The question to myself is will I actually work out how to write up all my research. I’ve tried a couple of times and don’t like the way I was doing it.

Allan

Allan Report 14 Mar 2020 09:55

No actual plans as such, but as a self-declared misanthrope (apart from my OH and two children), self isolation holds no fears other than that I will run out of wine :-0

Provided that I can still be allowed access to the garden I might enjoy rekindling those skills of Adam which I long ago neglected due to the sandy nature of our soil and which OH seems somehow to have mastered with a wonderful degree of perfection.

I have many books to read and to re-read and lots of masonic material to peruse.

My one fear, but not an overwhelming one, is that being elderly and having diabetes I may not, according to the 'professionals', survive an attack of the virus.

Being isolated from the rest of humanity definitely has its attractions.

In a previous life I must have been a hermit ;-)

:-D :-D :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 14 Mar 2020 10:07

I wonder if it’s safe to go to town, I think I’ve scared myself and gone into panic mode, I’ve been “trapped” indoors for a few days now but for other reasons, not because of the Coronavirus.

Dermot

Dermot Report 14 Mar 2020 10:31

I applied to join a 'Silent Monastery'.

I haven't heard a sound from it yet.

Barbra

Barbra Report 14 Mar 2020 10:55

Well what can we say I have been away to an area in Lancashire were the virus is .none in Dumfreise Galloway .not going out got supplies to last couple of weeks .will be on my comp family history .a bit of gardening .reading & watching TV .OH can be made comfortable in big garden shed .all needs catered for Simples ;-) :-D

Barbra

Barbra Report 14 Mar 2020 10:58

Hope every one just takes care .stay safe Barbara

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 14 Mar 2020 16:22

Those that thought they could "self isolate" and watch Sport on TV will be disappionted :-)
What will be on TV instead of the Scheduled Sport Programmes I wonder :-|

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 14 Mar 2020 16:33

Replays! :-|

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 Mar 2020 16:36

It’s supposed to be Mrs Browns Boys.

Enough to make you want to go out into a crowded place

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 14 Mar 2020 16:57

I have bought paint to decorate, so hoping I stay fit and well. Also the garden could do with some tlc.

Some long week day lie ins with no guilt, and guilt free hours researching online.

A pile of books waiting to be read, wool waiting for me to start clicking the needles.

And if I get bored I have a few cupboards could do with a sort out.

But I daresay much of my time will be spent on the thing I am best at - procrastination ;-) :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Mar 2020 17:27

I am trying to compile a list of things to do. Loads of books to read, gardening, cards to make for a friend who sells them for charity. A couple of cupboards that need clearing out. A bit of admin that needs doing. Maybe scrapbook some photos. And probably waste a lot of time on the internet. I won’t miss sport but OH will.

Allan

Allan Report 14 Mar 2020 21:10

Every cloud has a silver lining....no sport :-D

As from tomorrow all gatherings of over 500 persons have been banned.

Knowing Australian TV they will probably show repeats of previously televised events, and knowing some Australians they will probably go out and bet on them expecting a different result ;-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Mar 2020 21:24

Our Provincial Health Officer was asked yesterday about self-isolation ................

she said there was no reason not to go out as along as you did not go very close to other people, to crowded places or anywhere where you might infect someone or be infected. Plus not use public transit, taxis etc.

Crowds of more than 250 people are banned here.

But that allows you to go for long walks as long as you keep 3 to 6 feet space between you and anyone else that is not your immediate family, you could even go shopping but not to crowded stores. You can garden or do maintenance round the outside of your house.

Quarantine here means that you are either suspected of being infected or have tested positive, and then you are not allowed to go out or have contact with other people. Even family members should wear protective gear if they have to take care of you.

Our PM Trudeau is facing this right now ......... his wife Sophie is in quarantine in one part of the house having been infected in England, he and their children are isolated in another part.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Mar 2020 21:55

I've got loads to do!
The stairwell needs repainting (as does a lot of the house).
I have the paint - just not the enthusiasm.
I have a couple or three dolls houses in mid-construction, and my newest acquisition (bought about 2 years ago) suffered serious damage when George (cat) tried to jump on top of it - he pulled the downstairs front windows off.
When I say he pulled the front windows off, it doesn't sound much - but some of the window frames broke.
This is the house/shop - you can see how many many frames there are :-S
He pulled the whole shop window/door off and I have individual wooden shales on the roof and the top of the window.

http://www.dollshouse.com/magpies

Some bits of the frame have split, but I have found some wooden 'sticks' about the same diameter, so I could renew them - but I need to find the paint I used - and spent most of today rummaging through drawers and cupboards - to no avail :-|

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Mar 2020 22:12

I don't go out much anyway and keep away from places where a lot of people gather.

Got my medieval to write up, dishcloths to knit. Several books I have used for note- taking, I could buckle down and read all the way through.

Plenty of ironing hanging about, loads of sorting out needs doing following my prolonged withdrawal from reality.

Could start another patchwork and hope I can get it finished in less than 42 years this time.

There is always sitting mindlessly in front of the tele, the same as every day, as well!

Caroline

Caroline Report 14 Mar 2020 22:16

Well, I'm getting more exercise walking the dog through mostly quiet streets so getting fit and might lose weight if I can't find enough food for us all to eat :-)
Then there's washing everything down whenever they come in from work just in case :-)
Then there's books to read and tree to work on....

Ron2

Ron2 Report 14 Mar 2020 23:20

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-14/elderly-to-be-quarantined-for-four-months-in-wartime-style-mobilisation-to-combat-coronavirus/

Worth a read. I'll go stir crazeeeeeeeeee. It aint been thought out proper. There are hell of a lot of elderly who do not use the 'net, others who wont shop online anyway. How do those living on their own, no relatives in area to get their shopping, those who never get visitors anyway get hold of cash? Who will draw their pension or go to ATM for them but that means giving someone your card and pin - card providers wont like that, what about hair cuts etc. Can see why its being suggested but is it practical? If it happens I can only hope that my terminal cancer termalises me - dunno how long I have left

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Mar 2020 23:47

My sister (68) and her colleague (80+) run the Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme.
Do they just cancel it, as her colleague has to stay indoors - where his wife runs a B&B!

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 15 Mar 2020 00:33

Tad difficult - hubby would be confined and I wouldn't.

Not helpful as I can't leave the house without him :-(

He'll continue running over the mountains as he won't see anyone lol

No problem with keeping occupied but I do tend to get cabin fever and that is relieved by a trip to the large lake, again we wouldn't be near anyone else.

Looks like a lot of face time with family, especially grandkids.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Mar 2020 02:19

I also noted Boris was going to call on all private hospitals to take in patients to help the NHS hospitals

My question ............... what happens to the patients already IN the private hospitals?

Aren't many of them long-term patients and the elderly? Where are they intended to go?