General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Green peppers

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 4 Mar 2020 12:15

I like green peppers but not the red or yellow ones. In my local 2 supermarkets, they have stopped selling the green ones on their own. I managed to buy a packet with 4 small green peppers and 2 small red ones.

Does anyone that buys peppers manage to get the green ones by themselves and if so, where do you buy them from?

Florence in the hebrides

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Mar 2020 12:17

We don't like the green ones only the red and orange Florence.

Caroline

Caroline Report 4 Mar 2020 12:21

Can't remember the last time I saw a green one in my store only red, yellow and orange.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 4 Mar 2020 12:36

Gren ones sold singly in Morrisons or Asda..

Think you can get single green peppers at Aldi

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Mar 2020 12:49

Actually they're all the same. Green peppers are just unripe yellow, orange, or red peppers, usually red.
I'm surprised, Caroline, that you don't see green ones in your store. I believe that we live in the same province? I see them at all of the stores around here. Actually they're on sale this week at Freshco, $1.99/lb.

Von

Von Report 4 Mar 2020 13:01

Florence I know it doesn't help with your immediate need but peppers are really easy to grow.
Even if you don't have a greenhouse you could grow them on a windowsill.
Mine have lasted for months providing with enough for our needs. :-D :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Mar 2020 13:57

Can still get them in Sainsbury’s

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Mar 2020 15:03

MargaretM Yes. I know they are all the same but the riper ones, red, orange and yellow are sweeter, the green more bitter and stronger tasting.

Caroline

Caroline Report 4 Mar 2020 15:23

Obviously not a call for them in my store MargaretM I'm sure if I wanted them I'd go find them.
Von I used to grow them but always had problems with the bottoms spoiling before they were ready to pick.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 4 Mar 2020 15:24

I'm glad I don't read the last post first! ;-)

Caroline

Caroline Report 4 Mar 2020 15:26

:-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 4 Mar 2020 16:55

Ty for all your suggestions.

I like growing things but never tried as thought it wasn't warm enough on my kitchen window sill. Think next time im up town I shall get some seeds and plant.

Yes someone else pointed put they are all the same but I like the bitter taste of the green ones especially in a toastie with cheese and onion.

Florence in the hebrides

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Mar 2020 17:19

I remember years ago when they first came out with these different coloured peppers I wanted to grow some in my garden but couldn't find seeds. I bought a package of yellow and orange peppers on the reduced rack for $1, probably less than what a package of seeds would cost. I took the seeds out and planted them and had a bumper crop of yellow and orange peppers. So many I didn't know what to do with them. The following year I took the seeds from them and planted them not considering the fact that they had cross-pollinated so instead of having yellow peppers and orange peppers I had yellowish orange ones and orangey yellow ones. Guess I created a new species.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Mar 2020 17:55

They still sell all colours of peppers singly in the Safeway here, as well as in packs of red, yellow and orange.

A new one is bags of mini peppers, but no green ones in those bags

I like the green ones in stews, etc, but also sometimes (not always!!) any of them fresh in salads.

I did get rather fed up on the trains this past Christmas with a large slice of roasted red pepper as one of the veggies with every dinner!

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 4 Mar 2020 19:26

We don't like the green ones either, but eat loads of red, orange and yellow! Probably few green ones because they're less in demand.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 5 Mar 2020 04:22

Why not try planting the seeds from the peppers you use, Florence?

Lizxx

Florence61

Florence61 Report 5 Mar 2020 21:37

Would they grow and actually produce Liz?

Florence in the Hebrides xx

Caroline

Caroline Report 5 Mar 2020 22:06

That's how I've grown my tomato plants last few years, and Margaret mentioned she'd done it before.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 5 Mar 2020 23:17

Yes sorry just reread margarets post.
Well I shall remove the seeds and plant and see what happens.

Thanks Caroline

Florence in the hebrides :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 6 Mar 2020 04:43

Worth a try, Florence. Let us know how they do

Lizxx