General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

B Johnson's first half a day.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 25 Jul 2019 10:29

Mr Johnson PM has so far made a big impression in words..
A large number of Politicians in the lobby of number 10 applauded him.
They all want their jobs, they're not volunteers Several were unsuccessful..
His speech before entering was too embracing. Perhaps that speech was on
the podium waiting for him. Broad, but not deep.
In the referendum I voted remain. I won't live long enough for another referendum.
If PM Johnson succeeds in his Brexit I suspect it will be with a great deal of
assistance from President Donald Trump.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 25 Jul 2019 11:08

Ar sehole of venality

He has not got the faintest chance of Brexit on his stated terms as #1 the only Deal on offer has been rejected (three times) by the Commons while the EU will not amend it and #2 the Commons will block any NoDeal.

The only ways around this are
(a) hold and win an early General Election before the Opposition forces the issue - slight problem the govt would lose
(b) suspend parliament - note the presence of Raab, Commings and Pattel in top jobs. None of them care a fig about democracy.

If and when parliament reconvenes on 3 September BoJo is supposed to issue a "Queen's Speech" putting forth his program for parliament to approve. If the Speech is voted down then there has to be a General Election. If it does not happen then the program is void. Brexit itself is a covered by the previous administration "wash up".

The MP for Dover, Elphick, is suspended having been charged with serious sex offences. The LibDems are on course to regain Radnor on 1 Sep.
Thus from 3 Sep BoJo's govt will have a nominal majority of 1.
This will make control of the vital select committees next to impossible. Moreover as well as the official opposition parties he will hgave to contend with 30+ Tory MPs more than happy to strangle his administration at birth.

Hang out more flags

Update: There are at least three Tory MPs considering taking the LibDem whip and a bunch more who may resign the Tory whip and sit as independents - on the Opposition benches. If BoJo's majority disappears then govt management of business in the house and the powerful Select Committees will be impossible.
BoJo has a bit over a month to smooth troubled waters but there is no sign that he wants to. Far from it.

David

David Report 25 Jul 2019 12:53

I've just watched BJ give his first speech in the House of Commons and

within moments the place was in uproar. Jeremy Corbyn gave one of his best

responses, as did the speaker for SNP. Some of those on the Tory

front bench looked embarrassed.

Dermot

Dermot Report 25 Jul 2019 13:11

A smidgeon too much of the old Gibber Gabber syndrome from the blond one for my liking. :-\

Rambling

Rambling Report 25 Jul 2019 13:11

Just a question for those who might know? I was a little surprised not to see IDS in the new cabinet, is he planning to retire or biding his time?

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 25 Jul 2019 13:58

Everyone wants to give the guy a chance and stop heckling him.

Barbra

Barbra Report 25 Jul 2019 14:10

For goodness sake if anyone on here can do a better job? .give the man a chance .he can talk the talk now see if he can walk the walk & deliver his promise.s Barbara

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 25 Jul 2019 14:14

Sue in Yorkshire posted that T May should be "given a chance" even after endless failures. May was brought low by BoJo and his acolytes in the ERG. Now she wants this erstwhile Brutus to be "given a chance".

eh ?

I can see no reason why BoJo will be given a chance by his many enemies both within the Tory party and outside of it. He has set out his stall of nails he will have to lie on it ( pun intended).

flibber flabber

Rambling

Rambling Report 25 Jul 2019 14:36

He gets the chance whether anyone "heckles" him or not... fair enough if he pulls it off he will be the best thing since sliced bread...but

he couldn't 'walk the walk' when it came to water cannons, or the garden bridge plus a number of other 'projects' as mayor. He couldn't talk the talk when it came to Ms Zaghari-Ratcliffe.

He flip-flops to which ever argument ( or lie) will get him where he wants to be...maybe that's a good thing? Honesty not the best policy perhaps? Give the people what they want to hear. Bread and circuses anyone? ;-)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 25 Jul 2019 14:37

Rollo, you said it all in the

First line of your 11:08 post and

the last line of your 14:14 post.

I agree with both lines. Fancy that!!!

Rambling

Rambling Report 25 Jul 2019 14:51

I see McVile is in there as housing minister.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 25 Jul 2019 14:59

Rather more than half the country do not want BoJo to deliver on his promises. Far from it. That is why he is not calling an early General Election.

BoJo has never done any job properly not even telling banana shaped fibs for the Times. Even his House Master at Eton was pretty negative. Why would he start now ? I hope people here like Eton Mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shWVg98fu38

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 25 Jul 2019 17:33

I hope Boris does well :-D :-D

Corbyn doesn't stand any chance of getting in as PM. George Galloway described him as El Cid being tied to his horse, there in body but certainly not in mind. Blind supporters following him into battle but those that can see running the other way :-D :-D :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 25 Jul 2019 18:00

I don't think anyone hopes he won't do well, there's too much at stake.

I will for once be pleased if i do not to have to say I told you so... but be prepared to put up with it if I do lol. ;-)

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 25 Jul 2019 18:14

Rollo,

I may have said give T May a chance but no bugger has a chance when all the mp's of all parties are going to vote NO to Brexit.
Then the 17.4 million people who voted to leave the EU know that the mp's are only bloody well looking after their own pockets and they couldn't give a shit about the people who voted the mp's in,

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 25 Jul 2019 18:16

What has just happened is a mainly extra parliamentary coup led by Dominic Cummings. Boris is just the front man he is totally incapable of running anything let alone the UK.

In Parliament the go to people will be Dominic Raab, Patti Pattel and Michael Gove. Not the kind of people you want to meet your mum.

Their big problem is the numbers. Neither NoDeal or the EU WA can pass as things stand. However there are ways and means.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akTm2AmTEZs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r51TKJl65rM

Corbyn is already a backnumber written off by his own party. If there is a September / October election and Corbyn remains temp head it is the LibDems who will benefit not the Tories. Starmer, Thornberry favorites.

There are 30 Tory seats which could elect a Lib Dem with a swing of less than 1%. Starting of course wuth Amber Rudd.

There will be blood.

Rambling

Rambling Report 25 Jul 2019 18:33

Who will people blame when they can't blame the EU for everything?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 25 Jul 2019 18:43

This is the manifesto of the junta.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannia_Unchained

Just as with Corbyn's neo marxist ideas it is totally incompatible with EU liberal democracy. Thus step one is to ease the UK out of the EU before inflicting their crack pot ideas.

The junta is not interested in democracy and the sooner everybody gets their heads around the basic fact the better - starting ith the commenteriat.

cry the beloved country

Dermot

Dermot Report 25 Jul 2019 19:09

I'd love to live long enough to witness a respected PM leaving office on a high.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 25 Jul 2019 20:11

Rollo who is Patti Pattel?

Asking for a friend :-D :-D :-D