General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Camping

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 6 Apr 2019 17:14

Do you? Have you? Would you?

Doesn't appeal to me in the slightest now, though I spent happy days in my brother's tent in the garden when I was a child. Green it was. I couldn't even get down to it now lol.

Caravanning, static or mobile sounds better, we had one when I was little, the inside smelled of formica and woolly blankets and gas lamps :-)

Or perhaps a fancy tree house ( with a ramp lol) with glass roof open to the stars, in one of the 'dark zones', in silence but for the call of the birds and the wind through the trees. <3

Von

Von Report 6 Apr 2019 17:29

I love camping Rose.

I love the freedom and with a better tent gone are the days of having ropes over the frame and holding onto the poles during a storm. ;-)

We've made friends for life on camp sites :-D :-D :-D

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 6 Apr 2019 17:42

Once in Germany with a heap of friends in 1972. I have absolutely no idea why we left our perfectly good apartments to slum it in the rain.

Never again lol.

Island

Island Report 6 Apr 2019 18:21

Tent just once. The bleddy thing didn't even break the fall of the rain :-| Soaked and ill for a week.

We have a campervan :-D

Watching jolly campers erecting their tents, awnings and other paraphernalia makes great spectator sport. ;-) :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Apr 2019 18:35

Never have, never would lol, my OH says my idea of camping is a four star hotel. Had a couple of caravan I g holidays, not keen.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 6 Apr 2019 18:41

Went once, in a tent with a long-ago ex, never again! Weather awful, tent uncomfortable and showers didn't work properly. Ex was a pain in the what-name (to be fair he probably thought I was too!) and we both got really bad colds afterwards!

We recently got an oldish camper van, partly for long day trips and maybe going to continent. OH says he wants to wait 'til Brexit is sorted but we could be ga-ga by then...

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Apr 2019 18:49

Used to Camp regularly with the Girl Guides but never as an adult.
OH used to put his foot down with a firm hand, even when the more modern tents were described. He couldn’t stand the idea of creepy crawlies.

The nearest we’ve come to it is a static family-sized caravan. Like AnnG, now I’d prefer a 4 star hotel, or a self catering holiday let.

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 6 Apr 2019 19:25

I sold my trailer tent only last week, and that is because we are moving. It was ideal for taking myself off for a few days, sans wife, down to Devon. I will have to buy myself a tent now.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Apr 2019 20:27

I lived in a tent once - this was a small 2 man tent - as used by Bonnington when he climbed Everest.
Not only was I in the tent - but also my then boyfriend.
He had the sleeping bag - as used by Bonnington when he climbed Everest.
I had a cheap polyester number.

Lived? You ask - yes, from April to September - in Shetland!
Next to Clickinim Brock to be precise - it hadn't been fully excavated then, and was fenced off
There were toilets and sinks (no plugs), and no shower.
I worked in a fish factory, so rather than stink the tent and all our belongings out I had an arrangement with the leisure centre.
It was 25p for a swim - I just had a shower for 10p!

We moved to a croft in September. Still no bathroom, though, and the loo was a bucket in a shed!

Since then, I've done quite a bit of camping - but in a larger tent!

Florence61

Florence61 Report 6 Apr 2019 22:36

Gosh! My memories of putting up a huge tent on top on a cliff top in Cornwall in a force 8 gale whilst people in luxury caravans watched me and then boyfriend struggle getting drenched, are still etched on my mind 30 years later!!.
Eventually got the tent up but I wanted to go and find a cheap hotel but he said that wasn't in the spirit of things..lol

I hated not having a shower or bath for 3 days and my hair was looking awful. never slept a wink either as I was worried we would be floating in the sea next morning.

Nope not for me or a caravan.I experienced many of those as a child with parents and 2 brothrs...squashed is how I remember it.

Nope comfy b & B or travel lodge as long as it has a comfy bed, clean shower with hairdryer and the room is warm in winter.

I think the older we get, we just like a few luxuries and why not!

Florence in the hebrides

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Apr 2019 22:50

Umm, Florence, I lived in a caravan for quite a bit of my life too!
In one - the 'Bessacarr' - we had a bath - but it wasn't plumbed in.
A few planks of wood and a piece of foam - 'voila' - my bed :-S

There were bunk beds on the other side, where one brother and my sister slept.
Elder brother had been sent to Holbrook (boarding school) as we didn't have enough room. My other brother was sent the following year - and I then had a bed - until the school holidays.

This was in Lossiemouth. I think it was the Bessacarr we were in during the winter of 1962/63. The caravan was snowed in.
Caravan doors open outwards - or not at all when you're snowed in - and the loo was (yet again) a bucket in a shed!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Apr 2019 00:27

For a few years, we rented a house for family holidays - then the family grew and the cost became astronomical.
Now, we camp.
Younger daughter had her wedding reception, 5 years ago, at a village cricket club.
We had use of the pavilion for cooking, showers and toilet facilities, but had tents to sleep in.
Nephew got married at a camp site 2 years ago - and, yes,we slept in tents.
Elder daughter does so much camping, she bought a bell tent.
Nephew was so impressed - he now also has a bell tent.
My elder sister (67) does the Duke of Edinburgh scheme - and (obviously) regularly camps.
Having said that, sister and I will be going to visit our elder brother in Somerset soon.
We've camped there before, but this time, my sister's hired a holiday home! :-D

However, the family holiday will be on a campsite!

David

David Report 7 Apr 2019 05:30

Camping ? used to be a term used by Jules and Sandy in Round the Horne.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 7 Apr 2019 06:30

When I was young I spent many a happy summer holidays camping. We're talking about the 1950s/60s. School would finish and off we'd go for nearly 6 weeks travelling all over Europe spending the first two weeks visiting places of culture and then last 3 weeks by the sea in either southern France, Spain or Italy.

At that time there weren't many British cars on the roads of Europe and I remember, especially in northern France, people standing by the roadside doing the Churchill victory sign when they saw a car with GB on it......now they would most probably do another another V sign :-(

Camping gave us the freedom to visit so many places with the informality that a young child absolutely loves with every year being a new adventure. I look back now and think how lucky I was to visit all those places that had, at that time, been untouched by tourism and making friends with children of other nationalities; although I have to admit I never really appreciated it at the time :-0.

Happy memories :-D <3

Don't think I could do it now......I love my creature comforts far too much :-D

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 7 Apr 2019 07:33

Oh goodness yes, camping was a brilliant holiday when I was younger. We started off with a large tent, but soon moved onto a trailer tent. We had camping holidays right from when our children were just a few months old until they left home.
We went to France for three weeks every summer, using municipal campsites on the beach where we would be the only English people.
We had lots of weekends away in this country as well. It is a fantastic holiday for children, just unzip the tent in a morning and they would play in the centre of the field with all the other children until bed time.
My son still camps with his wife, my daughter started camping with her first child as well, but has had to stop because it isn’t feasible with the second one being disabled.

I must admit that in my older age, I am now a big fan of five star hotels :-D

Allan

Allan Report 7 Apr 2019 09:55

Did a bit when I first left school, using an old two man ex-army 'bivvy'

Never forget one morning in Derbyshire when we were staying on a farm.

My mate and I were woken by a couple of girls trying to enter our tent and then screaming :-0

It appears that their boyfriends, in a much larger tent pitched adjacent, had told the girls that our tent was the boys supply tent and the girls were expecting to find food, not two pimply youths.

Did a lot in the Army Reserve and after several years of that I was put of for life.

Madge

Madge Report 7 Apr 2019 13:33

Do you mean sleeping in a tent ? Or a Caravan ?

If you mean a tent, then no not as a child and as an adult I can think of nothing worse .

Island

Island Report 7 Apr 2019 14:04

Not even a spot of glamping Madge?

Madge

Madge Report 7 Apr 2019 14:17

I can not see the point Island :-D

Staying in a bed and breakfast or Caravan is my idea of champing :-D

Island

Island Report 7 Apr 2019 14:23

I think glamping is having tough groundsheets so your stilettos don't go through :-D