General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wedding gifts?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Apr 2019 12:42

I've been researching her tree for a friend, and the newspapers have been particularly useful for info, including a very long list of wedding gifts given to the bride and groom in the 1890s.

I was interested in the gifts given that probably wouldn't be used or asked for now incl' a 100 piece cutlery set, 3 x jam dish and spoon, 2 x crumb brush and tray, 2 x 2 Worcester vases, embroidered religious texts, 3 x cream jug and sugar basin, 2 newspaper racks, and several sets of jugs. :-)

If married what gifts did you get that you never used? ( or duplicates?) or didn't get that you really needed.

And can anyone tell me what a "Crazy cushion" might have been? :-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Apr 2019 16:04

I have a very delicate tea set consisting of six cups six saucers and six tea plates bought as a wedding present for us in 1957

It's never been used as it was always viewed as Sunday best and too good for everyday use in case some of it got broken

Don't think daughter would keep it as a family heirloom though

Think it would be paying a visit to EBay !!!!

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Apr 2019 16:23

Shirley They're very nice but fragile, I have a couple of cups and saucers that haven't been used since I was a child, but the rest have been broken in various house moves.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Apr 2019 16:37

By the time we got married in 1975, wedding lists were more the norm.
Although some of the ‘outliers’ went off list, everything has been used. It might only have been when we’ve been entertaining & feel like being pretentious ;-)

Could a Crazy Cushion have been like a knitted sampler? That seems to be the modern equivalent.

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Apr 2019 16:55

Could be DetEcTive I was thinking perhaps patchwork?

Did you have a fondue set? I seem to remember that was on someone's list in the 70s :-)

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 1 Apr 2019 16:59

I had been married nearly 3 years by the time I got back to UK so had money to buy a washing machine as I had a 6 week baby at the time :-D

My parents got us a big chest freezer and inlaws a tumble drier.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Apr 2019 16:59

My elder sister got 3 !!!!! Toast racks when she married in 1955

She kept one and the other two found their way as wedding presents elsewhere

They never used the one they kept either :-(

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Apr 2019 17:00

Yes, we did and we’ve used it :-D
Not sure if it’s still in the top cupboard or if we gave away. I’ll have to get the step ladder out & have a look now you’ve mentioned it.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Apr 2019 17:07

Our eldest married about 10 years ago. As they were being posted overseas, they specifically asked not to be given electrical equipment & definitely not a toaster. Just to wind her up, her 2 siblings each bought a £5 one. :-D :-D

I think they ended up using the toasters themselves when they left home. Waste not want not and all that.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Apr 2019 18:00

We were moving overseas right after our wedding in 1967. A university friend of OH's, then living in Germany, bought us a beautiful Kenwood Mixer with stand and bowl. Unfortunately it was the English 240 volt :-(

We had it in the cupboard for about 2 years, then friends here on a 2 year visa had twins when only one was expected. We lent them the mixer and the husband bought the parts to make a transformer so it would work here. They gave us the mixer back, plus the transformer, when they left, and we used it like that for about 2 more years before we finally gave up and bought a new one.

The transformer had a wood base, and took up a huge amount of counter space.

We got 3 stainless steel toast racks. One the givers told m-i-l to please take it back and change it while we were on our 3 day honeymoon. She exchanged it for a stainless steel teapot, which I hardly ever used and finally gave it to a friend about 30 years later! I didn't like the taste of the tea from it, but friend had been looking to replace the one given to them on her wedding in 1965!

It must have been the era of stainless steel because we got lots of it ....... the toast racks, trays, coffee spoons (remember those tiny ones?), fish knives and forks, etc.

The funniest was the packaged sheet set given to us y my aunt and uncle (who were also my godparents). When we opened the package, it turned out to be one flat sheet with 2 pillow cases ........ but the sheet was really skewy. Something had gone wrong in the manufacture of it and we could never fold it straight. It's still up in the linen cupboard because it came n useful some times .......... when we ran out of all over sheets!

I think they bought it from the discount stall in the town market :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 1 Apr 2019 18:02

Yes, we were given a fondue set, when we married early 70s.
It's bright orange.
I have vague memories of it being used, when we had friends round, but you could count the number of times on one hand.

We were due to go overseas, so most presents were bedding, towels and tablecloths, which could be easily packed.

We were given an ornamental bright blue enamel kettle, decorated with white daisies. The handle folds to one side, so I think it was only ever meant for looking at. It's still here somewhere. I must have a look for it.....It hasn't seen the light of day for quite a few years.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 1 Apr 2019 18:04

When we married in 1960 we got the usual tea towels,
sugar bowls and salt and pepper set.
We also got three irons, this should have been an omen.
They broke down very quickly and when replaced they didn't
last long in our house, they still don't. :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Apr 2019 20:33

I forgot to say that we got 3 stainless steel carving trays!

One was traded back (with permission from the giver), one was regularly used, and one came out occasionally.

I'm not even sure where either of those 2 are now ........ OH carves a roast at the weekend, but has used a plate for years!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Apr 2019 21:01

When we got married, in the 1980's, we'd been living together for years, and at the time, were living in a small village in Essex, where I was an ag lab, boyfriend was an agricultural engineer. Our house was an unfurnished tied cottage - which we'd furnished.
We had a very small wedding in a registry office - no wedding dress or bridesmaids - just a couple of witnesses.
Well, the village and farm, unbeknownst to us, had a 'whip round' - and we were given money! Apparently, it was a village tradition.
Much better than items we didn't need.
Relations bought gifts - but asked us what we needed/wanted first. :-D

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 1 Apr 2019 21:02

We married in 1963 and had the usual practical presents. The two I’ve had the most use out of are the ironing board and a set of 3 red plastic mixing bowls of different sizes. Both presents are still in constant use.

The wedding present that most intrigues me belonged to my parents and is now mine. It is a delicate Japanese coffee set, comprising 6 espresso size cups and saucers, a coffee pot, a cream/milk jug and a sugar pot. The porcelain is almost translucent.

My mother was from a working class family who didn’t have two ha’pennies to rub together, father’s family was only slightly better off and I doubt if either family ever had coffee. So who on earth gave them the coffee set?

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 1 Apr 2019 21:48

Amokavid I hope you hung onto those twenty pound notes as they could be priceless - they were out of circulation from 1943 until 1970!
You could be rich beyond your wildest dreams.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 1 Apr 2019 22:20

We married in 1973 and got lots of stainless steel tableware, some of which we used. When the children were very young and we had little money, I shared a stall at a flea market and sold most of it, especially the cake stand which had never been used. Some of our wedding presents are still in use, even guest towels which don't get overused.

A friend who married in the 60's was given 12 tablecloths, and none of them fitted her table.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 1 Apr 2019 22:35

Married in 1984 and had a typical gift list for the time.

I am still using the gardening hand tools, beautiful Coalport china set of white serving bowls, some lovely crystal glasses and a solid wood butcher's block.

The fondue set, Le Crueset, was used in the '80s but has resided in the garage since the '90s.

Husband became the ex in the '90s so it is some 'perverse' satisfaction that the wedding presents lasted longer than him :-D ;-)

Chris

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Apr 2019 23:39

Vera .....

My parents married in 1928, working class and also had a lovely coffee set, Japanese-looking although the scene on the coffee pot was more reminiscent of the Saharan desert. It was gorgeous. I left it in England when I married and moved over here, but my brother did take it after Dad died.

His eldest daughter married a friend of ours and moved here, and brought that set with her. Unfortunately I have no idea where it is now .............. niece died of cancer about 6 years ago, her daughter was unable to go into mother's condo and clear it out. Daughter also didn't pay the condo fees, so they took it back, and I fear everything in there either went to the dump or the Sally Ann thrift store :-(

How I regret not asking for that set after Dad died!

I often wondered if it was part of the Art Deco/1920s scene because Mum & Dad had several other things that you wouldn't expect in an ordinary working-class house .......... for example, two table lamps that each had an Art Deco dancing lady as the stand, an incense burner that looked rather Indian

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 1 Apr 2019 23:58

Amokavid I really wasn't having a go and was trying to be lighthearted in the spirit of the thread.

Please accept my apology if you mistakenly thought to the contrary.