General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Question: Do you feel that internet forums

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Mar 2019 20:43

have passed their peak?

Not just the genealogy forums which generally seem not so busy, but I was also talking to someone earlier who said the various forums ( business and property and others ) they go on seem to have dropped off this last year or two in terms of people posting. ( edit, especially new people posting)

There are lots of interesting sites and pages still but am I missing some good forums where 'everyone' goes? Or is there a move away from them and perhaps back to other hobbies or interests?

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 28 Mar 2019 20:53

I think there are various explanations.

Traditional forums (fora? for the Latin scholars) are somewhat old hat in their older sense and have been somewhat superseded by social media such as Faceache et al.

The reason?

Social media platforms are for more immediate, instant, which is really what users of such platforms crave. They really do want to receive a reply within a nanosecond commenting on their latest trip to the bathroom etc.
You do not get this instant ego-stroking response with a forum.
Sadly the days of the forum do seem to be diminishing which is a great shame as with that medium, people often gave more contemplative, measured responses.

Madge

Madge Report 28 Mar 2019 20:53

They have certainly lost their appeal for me , I am sick of seeing brexit everywhere I look.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 28 Mar 2019 20:56

I get sick of seeing some people :-P :-P ;-)

Madge

Madge Report 28 Mar 2019 20:58

You better not mean me Mrs I draw people to me like a moth :-P

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 28 Mar 2019 20:59

Precisely supercrutch I couldn't agree more - same old same old on many of these social media sites etc

Well said.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 28 Mar 2019 21:01

Somebody on a cooking forum mentioned Ginger
Now all I smell is blooming smelly Ginger
Bork bork ;-) ;-)

Madge

Madge Report 28 Mar 2019 21:05

Yuk :-|

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Mar 2019 21:16

I don't do a lot on FB, just genealogy and family contacts and add the occasional photo of plants or cats lol ( I have become, unwillingly, the local 'mad cat lady'...who is mad me or the cats is debateable!).

I try and avoid politics, had enough of that lol.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 28 Mar 2019 21:19

You collect mad cats?

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Mar 2019 21:22

Yup! or rather they have collected me...I don't go looking for them, they just turn up for food and a warm bed and to worry me when they have been in fights and have a chunk bitten out of them :-0

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 28 Mar 2019 21:26

Nothing wrong with been a Cat person Rose
Theres much worse Animals out there ;-) ;-) ;-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Mar 2019 21:31

I've always been more of a dog person Joy, but it's not me making the decisions lol, what can you do when a hungry cat ( or 2) turns up and looks at you with sad eyes? They seem to pass on the memo to all the other cats in the area... I've had to discourage 2 more who turn up and try to get in if the door's open ( they are well fed and obviously well looked after...just chancers).

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 28 Mar 2019 21:32

Indeed.

Lions.

Oh and tigers.

And bears.

Oh my!

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 28 Mar 2019 21:33

I have 3 myself and two strays I feed on the drive :-D :-D

Dam owners move
and just leave the poor things to fend for themselves :-( :-(

Madge

Madge Report 28 Mar 2019 21:34

You can not keep a cat Rose a Cat will choose its own slave :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Mar 2019 21:49

Very true Madge!

Joy, I couldn't figure out why our cat Spike's food was going down so quickly and empty packets appearing in the garden, until I saw another cat sneaking into the house and carrying them away down the path. He's now with me all the time. I have to put all the packets in an old metal bread bin, if I forget and leave them in the box like I did the other night, he tears through the box and helps himself and I'll find 2 or 3 packets torn open and eaten when I come down in the morning.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 28 Mar 2019 21:51

Rose - that's "D" feeling peckish after a night out!

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 28 Mar 2019 21:52

Bless him
So your thought of as the fast food take away lol :-D :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Mar 2019 21:59

Errol D's vegetarian so I know it's not him lol.

Joy they eat better than we do, certainly cost more!