General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Question ...nothing at all to do with brexit

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Madge

Madge Report 28 Mar 2019 20:20

I hope I am asking this in the right place you know correct board.

So I have always wanted to have me DNA done, there is an offer on ancestry so I know they send the kit.

So how long does it take for them to return it? Does it give the results in simple terms?
What happens then does ancestry put them on a data base?

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 28 Mar 2019 20:27

There are some FAQs towards the bottom of the page...

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/dna/#dnaFaqWrap

I think it takes up to a couple of months.

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Mar 2019 20:46

FMP have an offer on for mothers day

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/ancestry-dna-testing/

Madge

Madge Report 28 Mar 2019 20:51

I asked the kids for it for Mothers day Rose or I may swap if for a pamper day you know how fickle I am :-D

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 28 Mar 2019 20:54

My results came back within 3 weeks and that was during a busy offer period too. So pretty swift IMO :-D

Madge

Madge Report 28 Mar 2019 20:56

Thanks Sue, so were they easy to understand 60% English 10 % roman and so on?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Mar 2019 20:59

As many of you know, I'm against the DNA tests. My training as a geneticist makes me extremely wary.

It really depends on what you are looking for .....

........ will it identify an unknown relation such as sibling, close cousin?

NO

It may suggest that you have links to such-and-such. It is then up to to contact that person, and try to work out if you have a link.

Do you want to find "lost" relations?

Maybe you'll find them.

You also have to aware that some of these sites do release the information "when asked" to police forces, and you have no say on whether your tests will be examined or not.

Madge

Madge Report 28 Mar 2019 21:03

Ohhh that is interesting Sylvia .....not that I have anything to hide. No I am just curious to know how my DNA or my heritage is made up.

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Mar 2019 21:03

Not had it done myself but know people who have found it great to match with distant cousins and breakdown some brick walls.

The pamper day sounds just as good though :-)

Madge

Madge Report 28 Mar 2019 21:07

Sylvia has put me off a bit I am thinking more of a back rub now Rose or pedicure :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Mar 2019 21:08

There was quite an interesting session on "Essential Considerations for DNA Evidence" from Rootstech a few weeks ago

https://tinyurl.com/y57ah69r

I'm not well up on DNA ( understatement! it mostly goes right over my head) and this was easy to follow.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 28 Mar 2019 21:11

I’ll send you mine so you can see results x

Madge

Madge Report 28 Mar 2019 21:12

thank you Hun x :-D

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 28 Mar 2019 21:14

Now you can see what I am made of lolol

Madge

Madge Report 28 Mar 2019 21:18

Very interesting Sue thank you and I am shocked or surprised

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 28 Mar 2019 21:21

Testing companies can claim ownership of your DNA

Okay, so your DNA is inside of you. A corporation can’t really claim ownership of it. But they can claim ownership of the DNA sample you send them, and the analysis they run on it, including the resulting information on the makeup of your genome.
When it comes to Ancestry, while the company recently revised its policy to state that it “does not claim any ownership rights in the DNA that is submitted for testing,” another clause in its policies asserts that even if they don’t actually own your DNA, the company can use that DNA basically however it wants

I find this worrying :-( :-( :-(

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 28 Mar 2019 21:23

It gives a whole new meaning to I'll show you mine if you show me yours.
I was talking to a guy earlier today (in Waitrose of all places!) who worked in forensics and he said that DNA is still very much in its infancy and although a major step forward, should not be relied upon as there can be inaccuracies.

Bang goes my theory on Midsomer Murders.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Mar 2019 21:36

Well, my nephew had his done, and bought a kit for his mum (my sister) - both were from 'My Heritage'.
They were sent off at different times - but it identified them as mother and son!
Then, months later, I bought a kit - sent it off, and it identified my nephew as a relation and my sister as a 'close' relation - probably sibling!
Mine was 40 odd % Northern European (Sweden, Denmark etc), 40 odd % Celtic,(Welsh, Irish or Cornish) and 9.6% Iberian.
My sister was similar, with slightly more Northern European and 3.1% Iberian.
Nephew was similar, but with slightly more Celtic (his dad was Irish), no Iberian - but a touch of Roman!

My nephew is a member of 'My Heritage' - he's a member of most genealogical sites - he needs access for his job - though was never overly interested in genealogy.
Anyway - he was sent a tree he was probably related to, which he sent to me.
This was the Cornish side, which I'd traced back to the early 1700's, but had come to a halt. I looked at the tree he sent, which went back to 1480.

It had the same people as I had from 1820 backwards, so I then started ensuring these other people were actually related to me!
They were. Cornish parish records are all online - and free.

I'd come to a halt on my tree, because I couldn't quite fathom what I was seeing.
I was looking for tin miners, but had come across the aristocracy!
After that, it was easy! :-D :-D
I've gone back even further - to before 1066 - quite a few around this time were from Brittany.

We haven't come across anyone else who is alive, who is anything closer than 6th cousin!
Also, we have had no links to the Suffolk side - they were in the county for at least 400 years!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 28 Mar 2019 21:39

Sylvia is wrong about rellies. A few weeks ago a female rellie with whom I share a GGF contacted me out of the blue as a result of her Ancestry DNA package. It would have been impossible to establish the link solely from records.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Mar 2019 23:15

So Rollo has proved me wrong ..................

Hurrah!

Do you also know that if you send a DNA sample to 2 sites, or even to the same site months apart, that you are very likely to get different results??

True.

eRRol's post ............

"II was talking to a guy earlier today (in Waitrose of all places!) who worked in forensics and he said that DNA is still very much in its infancy and although a major step forward, should not be relied upon as there can be inaccuracies."

That is spot on.