General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

So...the latest proposal

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 27 Mar 2019 19:56

against "Speeding", is for all new cars to be fitted with speed limiters that detect the posted speed limits via a GPS signal....and /..or cameras that read signposts....

Hmmmm no mention of making dawdlers achieve a speed limit though....

and what will the councils and government do, to compensate for the loss of revenue from speeding infringements?

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 27 Mar 2019 20:05

on one local (normally 70) parkway, there are 50 mph signs a mile-ish further on a national sign.(70)... 50 feet -ish further on a "A" board saying 50... speed limit for safety reasons

wish they would make up their minds!! on another parkway that recently had a 50 limit(now reverted to 70..) there is a solitary 50 roadworks type sign....

Caroline

Caroline Report 27 Mar 2019 20:13

Is there anything taking into account the need to suddenly accelerate to get out of danger?

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 27 Mar 2019 20:15

Yes it is quite possible to do that in the same way you suddenly press down on the accelerator when using speed control.

Caroline

Caroline Report 27 Mar 2019 20:16

Okay thanks, as Bob says though councils will hate it due to lack of ill-gotten gains from tickets.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 27 Mar 2019 20:26

Money from speeding fines goes to the consolidated fund. In other words, the Government's bank account.

From there it is generally passed on as grants to the Department for Transport - not directly to local councils or police forces.

Caroline

Caroline Report 27 Mar 2019 20:38

Sorry those that be will miss the monies...

Allan

Allan Report 27 Mar 2019 21:12

Here's a revolutionary idea; how about people with red flags walking in front of each car

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 27 Mar 2019 21:20

Did I hear someone mention red flags and revolutions?

Allan

Allan Report 27 Mar 2019 21:41

Never thought of it that way :-D

Let's turn the hammer and sickle into ploughshares

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 27 Mar 2019 22:07

A far better idea

Sharron

Sharron Report 27 Mar 2019 22:08

Many lorries are already governed.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 27 Mar 2019 22:20

Not for much longer if we don't have a government.

Caroline

Caroline Report 27 Mar 2019 23:48

You'll have a Government it's just how much it pretends to act for the people and not it's own pleasure.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Mar 2019 23:49

..or pockets!...

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 28 Mar 2019 00:18

yeah lorries are governed, for a maximum speed.....

not to react to every speed limit change without a driver action..

Allan

Allan Report 28 Mar 2019 00:18

"What have I got in my pocket?" he said aloud. He was talking to himself, but Gollum thought it was a riddle, and he was frightfully upset.
"Not fair! not fair!" he hissed. "It isn't fair, my precious, is it, to ask us what it's got in it's nassty little pocketsess?”

The Gollum Government....the title has quite a 'ring' to it

Caroline

Caroline Report 28 Mar 2019 10:36

Don't go "Lording" it over us Allan with all your literally quotes :-)

Allan

Allan Report 28 Mar 2019 10:57

My apologies, Caroline, I must have picked up a 'virus' from another poster; not that that person has yet added to this thread ;-) :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 28 Mar 2019 11:45

Sorry to be so disappointing folks, but, having three grandchildren who all sometimes get around urban areas on their bikes, I think speed limiters is a brilliant idea.

In addition to this, I know of someone who was knocked off his bike, suffered injuries that mean he can no longer drive and, so, his prospects of ever working (or living) in outlying and country villages are zilch because he needs a good transport system to be able to continue in a job he loves.

I have also witnessed someone being knocked of his bike on a country road - minor injuries luckily but if it scared the living day lights out of me (because I didn't know the state of the rider), imagine what it was like for the cyclist and driver.

You'll realise why I stand behind the proposal.