General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What a blunder.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 31 Mar 2016 19:46

Donald Trump saying that women who have abortions should be penalized and then back tracking and saying no the doctors who perform them should be jailed.

Whether for or against women fought hard to legalise abortion, certainly on medical grounds. To send abortions back to the back alleys where so many died is in my opinion criminal in itself
Chatting to OH he said he will make the anti-abortionist happy and they have the louder voices, I said but the rich and powerful don´t want their little girl going backstreet and risking death and they have the money and the influence plus many women pushed for the right and they are a silent power.
Be interesting to see how far he back pedals but I think he should have left the subject alone.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 31 Mar 2016 19:58

Mentioned this earlier today on The Donald site.

He also thought the fathers-to-be men ought not to be punished.

As I said on the other site, it will be interesting to see who comes out of the woodwork with what. :-S

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 31 Mar 2016 20:07

Has there ever been a time
When he has opened his big mouth
and not put his foot in it ;-) ;-)

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 31 Mar 2016 20:24

Joylouise just seen the other thread so apologies for duplicating, I hadn´t read (because I couldn´t be arsed to read the whole report about him) that he thought the fathers to be shouldn´t be punished is the man mad ?, maybe that´s why he back tracked to the doctors.

Boro Joy I don´t recall one, but then I usually don´t take any notice this just got and grabbed my attention. I would have posted it this morning but MIL was about to leave and the sun was shining and washing had to be done etc etc - So I waited and yup still felt the man was a fool :-D :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 31 Mar 2016 20:59

it's not a blunder ..................

it's what he truly believes

except apparently in cases of rape, incest or danger to the health of the mother.

The truly tragic aspect is that there are many other members of the Republican Party who also think the same.

And Cruz is also to the far right ................ so probably believes abortions should be banned

It's quite scary living so close to the US, to think about what might happen come next December if the Republicans win, especially if it is Trump. But Cruz might not be much better in some aspects!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 31 Mar 2016 21:13

deliberate abortion should be the choice of the mother and the mother alone

I say "deliberate" as opposed to inevitable abortions, speaking as someone who suffered three inevitable abortions - or miscarriages as I prefer to call them

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 31 Mar 2016 21:15

Sylviaincanada It´s interesting to have the input of people near. I probably should have read what he said as I didn´t realise he was taking out rape, incest or danger to health but to be totally honest I rarely read his things in full. Does he know how he´s going to separate rape from undisclosed sex etc ....It´s a scarey subject. and a difficult one.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 31 Mar 2016 21:34

Apparently what he said united both pro and anti abortionists. Nasty man.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 31 Mar 2016 23:17

Uzzi .........

It was in a statement that his group put out later to clarify what he said.

We saw that part of the interview several times yesterday evening .............. he definitely said that women who had abortions should be punished, no ifs, ands or buts about it.

The interviewer really pressed him as to what kind of punishment, and whether he meant women.

The next day (ie yesterday), his campaign put out a "clarifying" statement ...........

......... he didn't mean women should be punished, he meant doctors who do abortions should be punished.

I did not Google or look for that statement in full.

This morning's paper added the extra bit that he was against abortions except in the case of rape, incest or health.

The thing is .................. he was pro-choice years ago but "his views have changed over the years"

so far as I personally am concerned .......

...... I am pro-choice. I don't know whether I would have an abortion and anyway it is far too late for me to be worried (I hope!!!), but I want the choice to make that decision.

....... I think that it is a decision for the woman alone to make, possibly/probably with discussion with her partner (depending on how close they really are). Certainly it is not a decision to be made by another man for me.

I fear that if he does get in and does succeed in changing the law, then the US will go back to back-street abortions and the accompanying problems of death and harm.

The GOOD thing is that a US President is not at as much liberty to make or break laws as Trump seems to think. Being President is not like being the President of a private company where you make the the decisions arbitrarily and everyone jumps to please you.

As Obama has unfortunately found out ............ if the opposition has the most number of seats in Congress and Senate, then it can be very difficult to get laws passed or changed. I think there are only so many times that the President can sign something into law without it going through the Houses.

Trump, or any Republican, could face the same problem in reverse, if they get elected .............. there is so much unhappiness with him now that it could be on the cards that the half of Congress and Senate that are elected this year will change dramatically from Republican majority to Democrat.

The trouble really is that there is a lot of unhappiness in the US with the political system .............. Republicans are unhappy because they have the power in Congress and Senate, but the President is a Democrat. Plus, if we are blunt about it .............. he's "not like them"

The Democrats are unhappy because the Houses have been stalling every single bill that the President has wanted to pass ........ they've even stalled budget bills and extensions.

People of both stripes are unhappy with "being controlled" and having to obey laws. It's man's right to do x, y or z

I heard Trump described as a "fascist" the other day .......... and that probably isn't far out as he and the Tea Party wing of the Republicans are about as far to the right as they could be without actually being "fascist"

he's also said many other things that worry me ................. it would be right to drop a nuclear bomb on "muslims". He refuses to accept that ISIS is not representative of the Muslim faith. "We have to wipe them out"! Apart from that, he'll really ramp up the war on ISIS, re-open Guantanamo Bay to what it used to be, allow any kind of torture necessary, etc etc.

He regularly incites attendees at his rallies to be nasty, if not downright vicious, to those who are "not with them".

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 31 Mar 2016 23:52

maybe his mother should have had a choice

sorry, that was nasty

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 1 Apr 2016 06:42

Awful man and an embarrassment to the USA.

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 1 Apr 2016 09:06

Scozz I do like that nasty or not it appeals to my sense of humour.

Sylvia very well thought out and written it certainly gets the grey cells moving.

Dermot

Dermot Report 26 Mar 2019 17:51

Heartbeat Bill Passes Georgia Senate:

The Georgia Senate has approved a bill that would ban abortions after an unborn baby’s heartbeat can be detected, about six weeks into pregnancy.

The state Senate passed House Bill 481 on Friday. :-S

Kay????

Kay???? Report 26 Mar 2019 18:08

So it may lead to the dark side of illegal abortions,but some will just go out of state,,,,,many many women because of their body clock don't even know they are pregnant at 6 weeks !!!...….. unwanted control for some them.?

Rambling

Rambling Report 26 Mar 2019 18:30

"The Georgia Catholic Conference has encouraged support for the legislation.

“The core of the bill is a prohibition against abortion after a detectable fetal heartbeat, usually six to eight weeks after conception,” the conference said. “While we understand life to begin at conception, not heartbeat, this language is as close as the authors think we can come and still withstand challenge in court.”

The conference added that the bill “contains exceptions in the case of rape, threatened death of the mother, or a medically futile diagnosis, all of which are exceptions that we would prefer were not permitted. Nonetheless, we recommend support because it would prohibit many abortions that are legal today.”

Note that last paragraph, specifically "are exceptions which we would prefer were not permitted"...in other words, the mother can die, we don't care.

( yes it IS me, back to do some messaging :-) and no doubt stick my oar in where it's not wanted lol ) Rose xx

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 26 Mar 2019 18:37

Good to see you back Rose :-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 26 Mar 2019 18:39

Thankyou Emma :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Mar 2019 18:46

Unfortunately several other states have already passed similar laws re banning abortions after the heartbeat is detectable.

No need for Trump to act ................ Republican State Governors are doing the job for him.

Madge

Madge Report 26 Mar 2019 19:28

FFS does he still think its the dark ages , shame on them all

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Mar 2019 21:04

Madge ........

yes, he, and they, do.

A set of older white men who think they rule the world by virtue of being elected to the US Senate or Congress.

Remember, they saved the world by winning both WW1 and WW2 ... that is ingrained in their wrong interpretation of history.

Thus they also rule women, who apparently are unable to make decisions on their own.

Women of course are responsible for what men do to them .............. it isn't the man's fault that he raped a woman, she made him. He's not to blame ............. and it is almost as if they think women have to pay.

But of course, many (if nor most) of them are also evangelical Christians who do not believe in abortion

Please whoever-is-up-above, bring the Democrats back into power next year!