Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Personal Ancestral File

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Oct 2003 16:02

Followed a thread a couple of weeks ago that gave instructions on how to download this from the LDS Site. Have just been messing about with it really entering names and dates and yesterday, found all the reports and things on it, and it even writes a book for you. I'm amazed, so far its been quite simple although i'm sure theres plenty more on there for me to find, but thought I'd plug it anyway. Before finding that, I was saving all sorts of files on my computer and trying to write a "book" about the family, but it looks like my computer will do it for me. So thanks to whoever it was, I can't afford to buy a program for myself, so this is absolutely great!!! Sarah

Janet

Janet Report 14 Oct 2003 16:29

Yes - totally agree - it does everything I need it to do. It's also useful to double check that you haven't made a mistake by printing a list of 'unlinked individuals' or 'possible problems', etc. By doing this, I found one poor individual I hadn't actually linked to anyone else - he was out in limbo, all on his own! I have separate trees for each of the lines I'm following, and one tree where I have joined them all together, which is useful for sites like GC where it is so easy to upload it all together. Perhaps others out there have some tips? There are so many options to this programme that I'm sure I can't be using it to its full potential? Janet

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 14 Oct 2003 16:49

Sarah - funnily enough I have just had a quick peek at that File I downloaded last week - I must be as thick as a plank, because I cannot understand one word of it. Perhaps I'm just tired, but I couldn't even find where to put in my first name. There must be some clever people on Genesconnected that's all I can say. Jacqui

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Oct 2003 17:01

I was (and still am) a bit bemused about it all, but I just went for it, put a name and a date in and watched it build. Not sure if I'm doing it right, don't understand if I should be doing a separate file for each person, don't think so. At the mo I'm just doing one big tree, but if you highlight the name when you've entered a bit in, then is it right click? You can select reports and it shows you all the different things, it creates Family Group Records, Pedigree Charts, etc., etc., I think its great. I was just printing blank ones off and writing the info on, but it looks so much better printed and it automatically puts yr name on as creating it and the date. Just go for it and have a play, I'm sure theres still lots more on there to discover. You can make scrapbooks and imports photos etc., etc. I tried reading the instructions and gave up and just started typing names in, think the one I downloaded only gave updates on the program and not instructions, so I abandoned it!! Give it a go Jacqui and have a play!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Oct 2003 17:08

Christine, I just sel;cted download products from the LDS home page, then free software. It lists it all and gives a short description, not sure if I'm right in remembering that the companion was mainly a printer type thing, the one I've got is called Personal Ancestral File, didn't take long at all todownload. Believe you can also do things with GEDCOM files althought I don't know anything about them and haven't attempted to. But if you look at the descriptions given, you should be able to suss it out. Think its 5.2 which is the updated one!! Sarah

Janet

Janet Report 14 Oct 2003 17:22

Jacqui I agree with Sarah. The best way is to play around with it and find out what you can do. That's exactly how I found out how to use it - it's the best way to learn - honest! Any new program is a bit daunting, but you'll soon get used to it! Janet

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 14 Oct 2003 17:34

Thanks all for the encouragement - will have a go after dinner - always better after a meal! Jacqui

Janet

Janet Report 15 Oct 2003 00:49

Christine I suppose it depends on whether you are multi-lingual! Just go for the English version - that's what I did. Regarding your earlier question about whether you could transfer the gedcom file from your old program - the answer is yes I did. As far as I remember, you go into your old program and create a gedcom file, (usually done by Saving As gedcom) then go to the Personal Ancestral File, click on File and then Import. You then find the gedcom file you created on your old program and import it. Even if you do something wrong, it doesn't matter, as the gedcom file you created is only a copy of the one that will still remain in your old program. Hope I've explained it properly. Janet

Sidami

Sidami Report 15 Oct 2003 12:24

nudge!!!!

Janet

Janet Report 15 Oct 2003 15:14

Christine Good luck - let us all know how you get on! Janet

Jane

Jane Report 15 Oct 2003 15:37

Does anyone know how to get a report in this program, the help file isn't very helpfull Tony

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 15 Oct 2003 15:41

Press 'file', then 'print reports'. You then have various options as to which chart you'd like to print.

Jane

Jane Report 15 Oct 2003 15:49

Vanessa Thanks for that we couldn't see it for looking Tony

June

June Report 15 Oct 2003 17:57

Sarah, I have been using PAF for quite a few months and have been very pleased with it, apart from the fact that I couldn't add another partner,I did it once but cant remember how. Yesterday disaster struck, I thought I'd look on GenesConnect to see how many people were on my tree, then I looked on PAF, I had over 100 more on PAF than on Genes, On investigation I found that some of my entries had doubled up for some unknown reason. I haven't had time to look again that delight has yet to come! So beware, keep a check on how many entries you make. Best of luck June.Nr.Preston Lan.

Sidami

Sidami Report 15 Oct 2003 19:41

The only thing I find annoying about this, is it does not list your names in alphabetical order. You find it takes ages trying to plough through the names you have, does anyone know if it is possible to get all your surnames together, when adding a new name to GC if the surname is already there it just adds to them, finding it easy to locate them. Sue.........

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Oct 2003 20:12

Hi, good to see some tips on here. I was also wondering about the listing of individuals, it seems the system gives them a number as you enter them, so mine are a bit to pot and wondered if there was a way of renumbering them! I'm still in my early stages at the moment and just messing around, I still have all my other notes as well, just in case!! Sarah

Janet

Janet Report 16 Oct 2003 00:03

Sue and Sarah When in 'Family View' (as opposed to Pedigree or Individual) if you click on the binoculars at the top (find) a new window opens. On the top left, there's an option for 'alphabetical' or 'RIN'. It will sort your list according to which one is clicked. Makes it much easier to find someone! June To add another partner, just right click on the name of the person when in 'Family View', and click the option 'add spouse' and you can enter the details of a second/third+ partnership. You can switch between the partners in view by clicking on the double arrow near the 'Marriage' window. I tend to use the Family View more than any other - as you have probably noticed! I find it easier to check that everything is as it should be - that children are attached to the correct couple - especially important to check when there is more than one partner involved. If I was going to give one overall tip, I would say that if you're not sure how to do something, try right clicking over the name - in Family View - and a list of options will appear. Most times you will find the option you need. If you're really stuck, under the Help file, there's the Users Guide; Lessons and FAQ's. If you're just starting, it's worth having a browse through these. You can always refer back to any particular aspect you need to know later. It does give you an idea of what the program is capable of doing for you. Hope this helps. Janet

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Oct 2003 09:29

Janet, Please tell me you weren't on yr computer typing that message at 03:57 this morning. Are you still in bed now? Thanks for the advice, am going to try and get a few hours having a play on it today. The primary person was confusing me at first, but think I have that sussed, take it that when u select that it just shows that person, also the family view makes life easier as you say. Thanks again!! Sarah

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Oct 2003 10:25

Hi, Just been having another play with this and if you click on Individual and have your list of Individuals displayed, you will see the headings, RIN, Name, DOB etc at the top. If you then click on the Heading Name, you will see it re-orders your list and I have managed to get mine alphabetically now. If you click on it again I think it ordered it alphabetically backwards but there are obviously different options there of displaying the list. I presume that clicking on the DOB column will then sort the list by order of DOB. Finding out a little bit more everytime I use it!! Sarah

June

June Report 16 Oct 2003 16:12

Thanks Janet for sorting out the problem of adding another partner. I have been very fortunate that another member of Genes contacted me and we are related via my GT.GT.GT.Grandfather, in fact when I started entering names she sent me we were actually related by three different sources. Do you know if the system will warn if the same person has been entered twice? I assumed the names would link, but they haven't done, it wasn't until I sorted the names in alphabetical order that I realised they were entered twice, I just wondered if there was some way around this? June,Nr.Preston.Lan