Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Contacts not replying

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 24 Oct 2003 09:42

How long do you leave contacts on your page for that have'nt replyed and isn't it annoying. I try an give people the benefit of the doubt in case they are away or busy,but I do find it annoying and frustrating that some just ignore your mail,don't you. Ann,Darlington

George

George Report 24 Oct 2003 09:44

I went through and re emailed all those who did'nt respond the first time, though some still have'nt responded. George

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 24 Oct 2003 09:52

George sent you mail last night did it arrive Ann

George

George Report 24 Oct 2003 09:53

No, what is going on with my mail box at the mo, first Max's emails don't arrive when she said she'd sent them and now yours. George

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Oct 2003 09:54

I normally give them a couple of weeks and then send it again. I think I seem to be pretty unlucky because I seem to get a less than 50% response rate :o(( I know that this has been brought up so many times before but just a one line e-mail back to the sender PLEASE :o)) Regards Margaret

Helen

Helen Report 24 Oct 2003 09:59

I recently did a lot of look-ups and when I went to clear a few names from my contacts list I found several names I didn't recognise. These people had emailed me but I never received them even though my mail was working OK. It might be worth sending another message as people don't check their contacts list very often. Even so there will be lots of folks who just don't bother to reply. You have to live with it I'm afraid.

George

George Report 24 Oct 2003 10:04

An email has just arrived with three photos attached of cemetary scenery but not one of the actual grave/headstone. George

George

George Report 24 Oct 2003 10:13

The other email has just come. Thanks a million times George

Maureen

Maureen Report 24 Oct 2003 10:46

Hi Ann Posted an apology last night to my contacts could not reply because was not a full member but got email this morning saying I am now Regards Maureen

Andy

Andy Report 24 Oct 2003 11:04

George, I sent you an e-mail earlier in the week regarding your generous MI lookup offer. Let me know if you didn't receive it and I will post the contents to your thread on the Tips board. Andy.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 24 Oct 2003 11:05

I have contacted several people and have still not recieved a reply. I think some people come and join put there details in and then never bother with genes connected again. They possibly use an e.mail address that then closes as they haven't used it for yonks and needs to be reactivated. Thats my theory anyway. But really it is probably plan ignorance. oh well

Rachel

Rachel Report 24 Oct 2003 13:34

I've had several messages that I've sent been completely ignored. When I do try to contact people, I always let them see my tree as I personally find it easier to match when I can see the tree drawn out in front of me. I give directions in my email as to how to get to the name that I'm contacting them about. This also means that if they don't get my email, it shows up when they sign in to GC and see it on their homepage. Of course they still can't be bothered to reply! It is soooo frustrating. I was checking today and against at least 5 of my surnames the same person has added loads of names, but has still not been bothered to reply to me. But I figure that if I pester them enough, maybe they will... even if its just to say no and go away! Rachel

Andrea

Andrea Report 24 Oct 2003 14:50

I normally give them about a month. I never send them a reminder or anything as I don't want to be a pest and I assume that if I was of any use to them (i.e if there was a connection) they would have replied. I agree that it is extremely annoying as it takes no time at all to just send a quick one liner. I have now started adding a line to all the emails I send out - "Please reply, even if there is no connection, just to let me know." It seems to have worked so far, so it may be worth the rest of you trying. Of course, there will still be those people that are too lazy and bad mannered to reply and we have just got to put up with them. I wonder if we could start naming and shaming them on the notice boards???? After all, this site is for us all to help each other and these few are spoiling the experience for the rest of us. OK I have had my moan now so I will go and do some more research!!! Sorry to go on, but it really gets my goat!

Paula

Paula Report 24 Oct 2003 15:45

I have emailed a person on gc suspecting that she may be a relative, I sent an email more than 4 weeks ago and had no reply. I sent another about 2-3 days ago and hopefully I will get a reply from this one, if not, then I will suspect that this person does not want to be contacted. I just wish that if this was the case then they should send a polite reply saying that they do not want to be contacted instead, they make people think that they are being a pest. I thought that gc was all about finding family!!

Helen

Helen Report 24 Oct 2003 16:32

I know I've put this on the boards before but I'll say it again. If GC could put a date of last log in next to the envelope that appears by the persons name when you go contact them, you would at least have an idea if they were regulars. If they hadn't been on the site for months you would know it would be unlikely you'd get a reply. Perhaps if some of you could pester the administrators to do this...........they took no notice of little old me.

Katie

Katie Report 24 Oct 2003 18:58

Rosemary - I think AOL might be having problems, as I sent an email to a lady who had just uploaded her details, and when my contacts box refreshed after sending the message I saw that she had already emailed me! I ALWAYS reply to genes messages that I recieve but it seems that not all are getting through. If anyone reading this has contacted me please do so again if you have not had a response. My contacts page is overflowing because of lookups I have done but I do try and go through it when I have time! It is very annoying when people who obviously have lots of info don't reply to you - especially when they are the sledgehammer that could dismantle one of your brickwalls! -Kat

Christine

Christine Report 22 Jan 2005 10:28

Hi Everone I've just joined genes reuinited and, guess what, only one response to an email out of the 3 or 4 I've sent. So rude! It seems that nothing has changed since October 2003 when this thread was first started. What's more, I'm sure that their relation also has some relationship with my family tree so frustrating as well. Christine

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 24 Jan 2005 00:12

I think quite a few people hate communicating thru GR - its too much phaffing around just to read the original message. And a nightmare when the servers are busy. On top of that is the way it lumps everything into one big paragragh - assuming it still does that? If someone contacts or responds to me, and we have a name connection - then i will usually send a very quick reply and give my email addy - and cut out all the carp involved with the middle man. lol

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 24 Jan 2005 09:29

I received a reply last night from a person who I sent a message to months ago. He just noticed the message on GR as it hadn't arrived thru his email.

Paul

Paul Report 24 Jan 2005 13:09

Jess, ??