Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry Plus - census name search option

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 3 Feb 2005 18:47

On the Ancestory web site you used to be able to do a census name search. Now, when I log on, I find that you first have to select a county, then a district, then search each page in that district for the name you are looking for. What's happened to the census name search facility, or am I doing something wrong?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 3 Feb 2005 19:00

I've just been using Ancestry and it seems the same as its always been - put in a name and country and only a county if you know it. Kath. x

Martin

Martin Report 3 Feb 2005 19:04

I don't understand what you can't do? I searched this morning on the name "SMITH" in the whole 1901 England census - I wanted the total number to compare with the previous figure. MB

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 3 Feb 2005 19:06

I am using Ancestry Plus - is that different? For example, when I looked on 1891 UK census there used to be a comprehensive box where you could put in either just a surname or much more information (if it was known). That box is not there anymore and you now have to first put in a county, then district etc. etc. It's just like a manual search.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 3 Feb 2005 19:08

It's there on mine Brian! Have you clicked on Advanced Search?

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 3 Feb 2005 19:11

Jeanette - I've just looked again. 1) On the opening page you can either select "US records", or "Uk & Ireland records". 2) From the list of UK records I selected 1891 census. 3) All I get is a list of counties to choose from, but no search box like there used to be! The advanced search is on the opening page - before I select what record to view.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 3 Feb 2005 19:14

Let me know Brian Jeanette x

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 3 Feb 2005 19:23

How bizzare! Have you tried logging out and bick in again?

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 3 Feb 2005 19:28

Jeanette - Strange isn't it! I think I will shut my PC down and try later. I'm wondering if my PC is playing up because whenever I add a reply the screen locks up, but when I click the back button my reply has been added. I will try again later.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 3 Feb 2005 19:28

ok Brian. Good Luck!

Thelma

Thelma Report 3 Feb 2005 19:50

Brian I never select uk records. Select home(at top) Enter surname, search if record you want is not there,scroll down,enter country press search. Just keep adding one piece of info.at a time until you get to where you want to be.

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 3 Feb 2005 20:18

Jim - Thankyou for your suggestion. I've just tried Ancestry Plus again and the search box I used to guse is not there. I tried it your way and yes, I can find what I want. The way I used to search, was to select either US or UK records, then select which census you wanted, then put into the (large) search box the name etc. you were looking for . . . and hey presto!! I can't understand why the search box is not there anymore!!!

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 3 Feb 2005 20:19

Oh but it is Brian - if only we could find it for you! lol

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 3 Feb 2005 21:03

Jeanette - Thankyou very much for your message. I have replied . . . . did you get it? My PC is playing up tonight!!! Brian

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 3 Feb 2005 21:08

This question comes up quite a lot. The thing to remember is that ther are 192 different ways of searching on Ancestry and all seem to give slightly different options. The trick is to find the screen that suits you the best then save this as your Ancestry Login screen in you favourites. Assuming want to have the big UK Census page as your main screen. (Using Ancestry(.)co.uk) 1. Log in 2. Click on Home 3. Click on Census Records and Images This should take you staight to search>census>uk census collection which gives you the big screen to allow you to search on all the uk censuses. I then click on exact matches as this suits me better than best matches. Now, save this in your favourites. If you want to go to another search, such as the BMD records, go back to home, then select england and wales civil registration. If you use this search regularly as well, then why not save this as a second favourite, so you can get to it straight away. If anyone has particular dificulties, let me know what you are trying to search on and i'll see if I can find it for you. Peter

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 3 Feb 2005 21:18

No Brian I didn't get your message :-(

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 3 Feb 2005 21:34

Jeanette - I thanked you for what you sent! I'll try again tomorrow.

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 4 Feb 2005 09:47

Jeanette, I have tried to send you a message thanking you for what you sent!! But for some strange reason I am unable to send messages anymore but I can receive them. I am a fully paid up member until Nov. '05. I have contacted Genes Reunited - and I'n not even sure if that was sent because the message stayed on the screen!! I wonder if I have a bug in my PC.

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 4 Feb 2005 11:02

I've just checked my "Sent" messages and they haven't been sent . . . . . I wonder why!!

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 4 Feb 2005 11:06

Peter - Thankyou for that advice, I've taken a note of it.