Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HELP!!!!I'm full of bruises cause i'm banging my h

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 13 Feb 2005 19:18

any ideas where to go now: looking for William Wallis b 1830's in portsmouth,married to Sarah Young,although i can't find any marriage. son Ambrose born in 1872 in Clifton,Bristol. can't find William on 1961/71 or 81 any ideas gratefully accepted on where to look next---i'm truly stumped(and getting v annoyed) Karen

Ciara

Ciara Report 13 Feb 2005 19:22

If he was from Portsmouth could he have been a sailor and been at sea? Just a thought

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 13 Feb 2005 19:38

Hi Ciara, according to his sons birth cert he was a costermonger, thanks anyway Karen

Ciara

Ciara Report 13 Feb 2005 19:39

Whats a costermonger? lol sounds ominous

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 13 Feb 2005 19:41

i have no idea---i don't really care i just wish i could find him somewhere,anywhere Karen i'm now going to tend to my bruises---either that or throw something at the pc lol

Esta

Esta Report 13 Feb 2005 19:41

karen had a look on 1881 but found nothing. Tried to find Ambrose but the only one was a neice ( 9 yrs / b. Brisol ) living in portsea with a family called Sudbury - so not yours. Strange how they don't seem to be on 1881 !! Esta

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 13 Feb 2005 19:43

Esta, the one you found is the right Ambrose but for some reason they have him down as a niece,Elizabeth was his aunt(william s sister).the surname on 1881 is sansbuy but should be sansbury.

Esta

Esta Report 13 Feb 2005 19:45

Could his parents have died ....maybe ?

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 13 Feb 2005 19:48

Esta, have thought of that and have found a death for William Wallis in clifton in 1873 but still can't find Sarah either or a marriage for them and where are they in 1871--so frustraiting. am sending for the death cert tomorrow so fingers crossed it'll be the right one Karen

Ciara

Ciara Report 13 Feb 2005 19:48

Karen a costermonger was a barrow boy, selling fish etc. So he probably wasnt at sea Ciara

Esta

Esta Report 13 Feb 2005 19:49

Karen Just a thought have you found Ambrose 1891 / 1901 just incase his parents turn up with him ... Esta

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 13 Feb 2005 19:50

Ciara, thanks,i have found a William Wallace in 1901 in Portsmouth Workhouse saying he was a fish hawker,so maybe a possible lead, Karen

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 13 Feb 2005 19:51

Esta, yes he's still with the sansburys and then married--still no parents

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 13 Feb 2005 19:52

really am going now,hubby and children have forgotten who i am, thanks for all your thoughts and help, Karen

Gillian

Gillian Report 13 Feb 2005 20:00

Coastermonger - Peddler of fruits and vegetables See Occupations list: http://home.earthlink.net/~herblst/occupations.htm Regards Gillian

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Feb 2005 21:50

Karen A fish hawker will be the same as a costermonger. Ann Glos

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 14 Feb 2005 12:35

thanks Ann

Ciara

Ciara Report 14 Feb 2005 12:40

Karen I live near Portsmouth so any info you need I can help?

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 14 Feb 2005 12:46

Ciara, thanks for the offer but i live in Portsmouth and still can't find the bu**er lol Karen

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Feb 2005 13:52

Karen, Do you know his birth date for certain? How do you know? Have you looked under all the variant spellings? Wallace, Wallis Walles Walles? There is a William Walls M aged 41 born Landport in the 1881 he is a ships steward and looks to be on board ship. There was a William Henry Wallis born 1820 St marys Portsea on IGI & a William Wallace born 1823 St johns Portsea. I didn't go all the way through because I wanted to know where your info on his age comes from. strange that they have Ambrose as niece and f for female isn't it? Still if you have the birth certificate that should be correct. Oh I see you have found a death cert for before 1881. So ignore what I said above. Ann Glos