Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

where is wersia?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynsey

Lynsey Report 8 Mar 2005 19:52

Can anybody tell me where wersia is? this is my gggrandmothers birth place on the 1881 census but i have never heard of it. any help would be appreciated thanks

Brian

Brian Report 8 Mar 2005 19:55

Never heard of it soz. Try the Curious Fox site and you can put up any town or village and if it exists it will be there. Brian in Lancs

Lynsey

Lynsey Report 8 Mar 2005 20:00

thanks, i will try curious fox and hope forthe best

Heather

Heather Report 8 Mar 2005 20:01

Did you look at the image as this sounds like one of ancestry's great mistranscriptions. Snap Dee. Loo, if you havent got the image, tell us the details so we can look.

Michael

Michael Report 8 Mar 2005 20:03

Hi, Could it be MERCIA? as in the north east of England. (I think!!!)

Peter

Peter Report 8 Mar 2005 20:03

If you Googal the name Wersia you find lots of thing to do with Poland and Germany. So Are we looking at that area for the town?

Thelma

Thelma Report 8 Mar 2005 20:04

louisa mc kenna wersia worcestershire i cant make it different

Linen

Linen Report 8 Mar 2005 20:05

Hi Do you think it could possibly be Mersea in Essex Vivienne

Lynsey

Lynsey Report 8 Mar 2005 20:06

sorry everyone, i have just rechecked the image and it does say wersia, worcester, i missed that, over excited to get the image i suppose, but still i have never heard or wersia nad curious fox havent heard of it either, do u think it is just worcester mistranscribed?

Heather

Heather Report 8 Mar 2005 20:09

What is her name, dob etc

Lynsey

Lynsey Report 8 Mar 2005 20:20

all i have heather is the details from the census where her age in 1881 is 37 so she would have been born around 1844. She was born Louisa Hinton, i dont know whether she had a middle name. I have this info from my g grandmothers birth certificate. This also confused me about louisa age because on her daughters birth certificate it states 'X' the mark of Louisa Mckenna Mother (30) and in the last column the registrar has wrote the word thirty so i thought this might be her age but I dont know what it means really i have never seen it before on any of the certificates

Peter

Peter Report 8 Mar 2005 20:21

Just had a look at the area there are lots of places that end in SEY or SLEY but can not find any place that starts WER or WAR

Geoff

Geoff Report 8 Mar 2005 20:22

Yes, it says Wersia - I would say is was a mistranscription of Persia - which ought to be Pershore! Having said that, 1871 has her born Birmingham, Warwickshire.

Lynsey

Lynsey Report 8 Mar 2005 20:25

have you found her on 1871 geoff. I could not see her, was she married then? do you have the reference please?

Geoff

Geoff Report 8 Mar 2005 20:36

1871 actually has her married to James but the eldest son is called Thomas. There's every chance she was 'married' in 1871 as the eldest child in 1881 was 18! In Widnes in 1871 aged 34. James McKenna 47 Lab Chemical, Ireland Louisa 34 Birmingham Thomas 18 Lab Chemical, Ireland Patrick 1 Widnes *Charles Morris 12 *James 9 *Sarah 7 *Thomas 3 *Rose Ann 5 * All stepchildren of James McKenna, all born Widnes. So Thomas was 'his', Patrick was 'theirs' and the rest were 'hers'.

Lynsey

Lynsey Report 8 Mar 2005 20:47

thanks geoff, a bit confusing though compared to the1881 census, have you got the piece or folio number so i could print it off please, oh and did you get the address cheers mate

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Mar 2005 20:53

I just looked at the Worcestershire Parishes in Genuki. I feel it seems like Pershore. You have to remember that many of our Ancestors were illiterate, and the Registrar from a different part of the country would just put down what he thought he heard them say.

Lynsey

Lynsey Report 8 Mar 2005 20:58

thanks jim, the census back then were so confusing but then again god help my futture relatives who decide to do research, before i realised the seriousness of the census for reference puposes i just messed around on mine and me and my partner are both jedis floating in the sea of solar!!!!! I promise to do it properly next time!!!

Geoff

Geoff Report 8 Mar 2005 21:00

1871 2 Lime St, Widnes RG10 3858 Folio 149 P23 Easy to search for Louisa Mc Kenna (space required after Mc)

Lynsey

Lynsey Report 8 Mar 2005 21:01

thanks stephen looks like i am going to have to do a bit more digging on this one. I looked on 1837 for a record of her birth, found 1 for amj 1844 but again birth district is unclear and would not have a clue where it was. looks like mtney??