Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ideas for 2011 census

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sam

Sam Report 30 Mar 2005 23:52

See below:

Sam

Sam Report 30 Mar 2005 23:52

After many problems finding people on census records, to make things easier for rellies trying to trace us in 100 years time, perhaps when the next census is taken new rules could be introduced: 1) All persons to remain at their home address on the night the census is taken 2) All persons to provide proof of date and place of birth 3) No person shall give their middle name or nickname in place of the name they were registered with Anyone got anymore?

The Bag

The Bag Report 31 Mar 2005 00:04

Think we'll all have a micro chip by then and they'll just scan us............... Jess x

Sam

Sam Report 31 Mar 2005 00:05

Jess, That's the best one I've heard - what a good idea!! Sam

Poolie Girl

Poolie Girl Report 31 Mar 2005 00:07

Mothers must declare all possible fathers for children

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 31 Mar 2005 00:07

You think there's going to be a census, then? As they had a black hole of about a million missing young men, I doubt whether they'll bother with the exercise again. It would be quite nice if they went back to asking where we were born.

The Bag

The Bag Report 31 Mar 2005 00:11

Actually i want to tell fibs....give future generation the round around like my ancestors have me! Jess

Irene

Irene Report 31 Mar 2005 00:16

At least let them put where they were born and not just England, I don't think they realised what they were leaving out for the last one. Thank goodness my name is not Brown, Smith or Taylor and a few other well known names. Maybe the person who came up with that idea has already left never to return. Irene

Lois

Lois Report 31 Mar 2005 00:19

I intend to put in as much info as I can fit on the form, including all the surnames I'm descended from: Lois Anne Hibbert Cleaver Coates Hunstone Edgely etc, just in case my kids throw out my notes and my great-great grandkids have to start from scratch!

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Mar 2005 00:23

You must give your employers name and address if you are working at the time. That way future generations will be able to google in case there is any doubt about that the occupation says!

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 31 Mar 2005 00:52

It would be good to have a section asking for a personal description, interests, hobbies and maybe a photo!!!!

Sam

Sam Report 31 Mar 2005 01:00

You MUST state who your children are named after...whether it be your great grandfather or a pop star of the era!

Martin

Martin Report 31 Mar 2005 01:25

The way Blair is going we will probably have barcodes across our forehead and RFID implants by then. Big Brother will know where we are all the time so won't need a census. But seriously I have always thought it would have been useful if they recorded where the person was during the previous census. MB

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Mar 2005 09:13

Martin That's an excellent suggestion. I also think that there should be an online form which you fill in and choose from a pre-loaded list of first names, surnames and placenames, with an option of adding your own if it doesn't come up. That way there would be no mistranscriptions of Leonard for Lemuel or Emilia for Amelia, Maththews for Matthews etc. If people in 2011 don't have a computer they should be able to a) have a homevisit from an enumerator with a laptop or b) use a terminal in their local library. After the information has been gathered, the government should run a checking programme matching people on the census with their birth/marriage certificates. Anyone who doesn't connect should be highlighted in red and indexed under 'no hope of tracing them otherwise'. nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Mar 2005 11:16

Anyone with you on census night who doesn't normally live there must provide details of their family and home address That way you'll be able to match up an census strays with who they belong to

Philip

Philip Report 31 Mar 2005 21:42

How much you earn in a year, how much tax you pay in a year and the value of your house. Would make interesting reading in 100 years

Marcus

Marcus Report 31 Mar 2005 21:47

Here goes......... How about an 'open access to all info at any time' clause? Or is this too obvious? Marcus

Fern

Fern Report 31 Mar 2005 22:45

Name everyone in the household, even if they are not there at that time. No putting visitors. State who your parents are. Anything to make researchers in the furture able to find us. Fern.

JosieByCoast

JosieByCoast Report 31 Mar 2005 22:57

I pity the poor person reading the 1981 census for my household when it comes out, I was 8 months pregnant at the time, not into FH at all, and remember entering down 'bump' ' 8 months'

Paul

Paul Report 1 Apr 2005 00:05

Joseanne, that will be fun in 2081 (or whenever they decide to release it) Pity I won't be around to find out unless I live to 130!!! Paul