Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

UPDATE: Anyone heard of a girl's name Prhyna? Fou

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wishful007

Wishful007 Report 30 Apr 2005 17:40

I am trying to find information on my great grandmother, her married name was Prhyna JONES and possibly her name was JONES before marriage. I thought with such an unusual christian name she would be easy to find but cannot find any information about her. Has anyone heard of such an unusual christian name? I do not know anything about her but do know she married a Robert Jones born circa 1867 (UPDATE circa 1859) and their first child Maud Harriet Halsall Jones was born in 1895 in Cardiff and second child Florence Jones was born in West Derby in 1899. I think both children went into a children's home following their father's death (again I don't have the details) and do not know what happened to their mother. Can anyone offer any help regarding her first name? I've been told that the spelling is correct. Any information about the family would be an extra bonus. Thanks Sue

The Bag

The Bag Report 30 Apr 2005 17:44

have you found any census returns? jess

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Apr 2005 17:47

Susan I don't recognise the name Prhyna. Have you got it in more than one place - how do you know the spelling is correct? Do you know how it is pronounced? nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Apr 2005 17:51

Have now been to several Welsh names sites on the internet and there's nothing remotely like this name. nell

The Bag

The Bag Report 30 Apr 2005 17:51

wonder if it is derivation of Tryphena there isn't one on ancestry at all BDM or census Eng or Wales

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Apr 2005 17:55

I think you'd need to get her marriage cert which will confirm her maiden name and give her father's name, so you can find her on a census. Plus, the birth cert of either child would confirm her first name and maiden name. nell

Wishful007

Wishful007 Report 30 Apr 2005 17:57

Cannot find anything on the 1881 Census.

Wishful007

Wishful007 Report 30 Apr 2005 18:01

Her name is shown on the birth certificate of her youngest daughter Florence. I have recently managed to get in contact with one of Florence's sons who has her birth certificate. I too have questioned the spelling of the name but he has today confirmed by email that it definitely reads Prhyna Jones, as it is very clearly written.

Wishful007

Wishful007 Report 30 Apr 2005 18:03

Hi Jay My maiden name was Ward and I went to school in Southampton, sorry it is not me :(

Wishful007

Wishful007 Report 30 Apr 2005 18:06

Thanks Jess for the idea that is might be a derivation of Tryphena. I did a Google search for the name but it did not come up with anything. I think I will have to order my grandmother's birth certificate to find out for sure. Thanks for your help everyone. Sue

Wishful007

Wishful007 Report 30 Apr 2005 18:19

Thanks Chris really appreciate it. Sue

Wishful007

Wishful007 Report 30 Apr 2005 18:22

Thanks for idea about getting a marriage certificate but unfortunately I don't know when they married so will have to start with a birth certificate for my grandmother. She was born in May 1895 and being the first born I'm assuming they would have married around 1893-94. Sue

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Apr 2005 18:31

Tryphena is a pretty name and there's a Tryphena who is related to the author Thomas Hardy, which is how I heard of it. It's Latin and means dainty, so no Welsh connection at all. Do let us know if you find out, I am quite curious. I think there must be some error or she would have shown up on a census or on Freebmd. nell

The Bag

The Bag Report 30 Apr 2005 18:32

mauds birth ref Name: Jones, Maud Harriet H Record Type: Births Quarter: June Year: 1896 District: Cardiff (1837-1974) County: Glamorgan Monmouthshire Volume: 11a Page: 388 you could send for her birth cert, should say mothers maiden name jess

The Bag

The Bag Report 30 Apr 2005 18:35

PROB WON'T HELP MUCH sorry caps lock snuck on Name: Maud Jones Age in 1901: 4 Estimated birth year: abt 1897 Relation: Pauper Inmate Household: View other family members Gender: Female Where born: Liverpool, Lancashire, England Civil parish: Kirkdale Ecclesiatical parish: St Mary County/Island: Lancashire Country: England Street address: View Image Condition as to marriage: View Image Education: View Image Employment status: View Image Occupation: View Image Source information: RG13/3472 Registration district: West Derby Sub-registration district: Kirkdale ED, institution, or vessel: Kirkdale Industrials School Folio: 259 Page: 20 (click to see others on page) Household schedule number: 1

Wishful007

Wishful007 Report 30 Apr 2005 18:35

Thanks Jess for my grandmother's details. I do have a birth certificate for her but it is not a full one and so does not have her mother's details recorded on it. I will just have to take the plunge and order her full birth certificate. Sue

Wishful007

Wishful007 Report 30 Apr 2005 18:41

Jess Thanks for the latest info! Some bits and pieces in that I did not know about ..... very interesting. 'Pauper inmate' What does this mean exactly? Was she in the children's home at this time in her life? I know my Nan never talked about her early childhood but I was aware that she did have to go into a children's home and lost contact with her only sister for a while. Sue

Wishful007

Wishful007 Report 30 Apr 2005 18:52

No worries Lyla .... all these dates get me muddled too! Sue

Wishful007

Wishful007 Report 30 Apr 2005 18:55

YIKES is that the time!!! I must leave the site now, supposed to be meeting someone at 8pm and not had tea or got ready yet. Thanks everyone! Byeeeeeeeeee Sue

Janice

Janice Report 30 Apr 2005 19:31

June 1896 Cardiff Marriage of Pryna Jane Jones to Robert Jones Cardiff 11a 424 (found on FreeBMD) Janice