Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anyone help me find a missing family?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 25 May 2005 16:06

Hello, I've managed to find my great grandfather on 1871 census, but I have been unable to find him on 1881 census. His wife died in 1865 and on the 1871 census he is a widow. His name was George Goodge and was born 1817-1825 approx in Offley, Herts. I expect to find him living with his son Alfred(c1871). I have also been unable to locate his daughter Margret who was born c1853 in Offley. Thank you very much for your help, Lucia

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 May 2005 16:09

Lucia How old was he in 1871? Birthdate of between 1817-1825 is quite wide. How can Alfred be born c. 1871 when his mother is already dead? nell

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 25 May 2005 16:11

Hi Nell, I'm assuming he was aged about 46. On some censuses his birthdate is c1825 but I've seen it as c1817 before. Thank you very much for your help Lucia :-)

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 May 2005 16:12

This is a George Goodge b. 1825, presumably not yours? Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability George GOODGE Head M Male 56 Offley, Hertford, England Ag Lab Out Of Employ Mary A. GOODGE Wife M Female 53 Offley, Hertford, England Straw Plaiter William GOODGE Son U Male 12 Offley, Hertford, England Scholar Honor GOODGE Daur Female 11 Offley, Hertford, England Scholar Sarah DAVIS Boarder U Female 22 Offley, Hertford, England Straw Plaiter Source Information: Census Place Offley, Hertford, England Family History Library Film 1341346 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 1421 / 27 Page Number 18

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 25 May 2005 16:13

Oops!! I just realised that date was wrong. I can't remember the details from 1871 but I think Alfred was recorded as his son on the census. Thank you Lucia :-)

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 May 2005 16:15

This is Albert Goodge born 1871. Household Record 1881 British Census Search results | Download Previous Household Next Household -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Household: Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability Jesse GOODGE Head M Male 36 Offley, Hertford, England Ag Lab Emma GOODGE Wife M Female 36 Lilley, Hertford, England Ag Lab Wife Eli GOODGE Son Male 15 Offley, Hertford, England Ag Lab Albert GOODGE Son Male 10 Offley, Hertford, England Scholar Mary A. GOODGE Daur Female 7 Offley, Hertford, England Scholar Eliza GOODGE Daur Female 4 Offley, Hertford, England Harry GOODGE Son Male 10 m Offley, Hertford, England Daniel HALSEY Lodger U Male 25 Handside, Hertford, England Ag Lab George MEAD Lodger U Male 26 Round Green, Bedford, England Ag Lab Benjamin HALSEY Lodger U Male 23 Buntingford, Hertford, England Ag Lab Source Information: Dwelling Tea Green Beer House Census Place Offley, Hertford, England Family History Library Film 1341346 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 1421 / 49 Page Number 22 nell

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 25 May 2005 16:15

Hi Nell, I think it's probably him but there wasn't a Mary Ann living with him in 1871. I haven't been able to find a marriage for them to prove that this is definetely George. Thank you very much for the lookup Lucia :-)

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 25 May 2005 16:20

Hi Nell, I think that could be Alfred. I've just found the 1871 record but the age doesn't match the George that you found: George Goodge 54 Lilley, Hertfordshire, England Head Offley Hertfordshire Hannah Goodge 20 Lilley, Hertfordshire, England Daughter Offley Hertfordshire Margret Goodge 18 Lilley, Hertfordshire, England Daughter Offley Hertfordshire Eliza Goodge 16 Lilley, Hertfordshire, England Daughter Offley Hertfordshire Sarah Goodge 10 Lilley, Hertfordshire, England Daughter Offley Hertfordshire Alfred Goodge 10 months Lilley, Hertfordshire, England Son Offley Hertfordshire Thank you so much for your help, Lucia

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 May 2005 16:20

Lucia I just looked on www.familysearch.org I think that possibly there are two George Goodges, one born 1817 and one born 1825, which might be causing confusion! nell

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 25 May 2005 16:23

Nell, I think you're right. I never thought it was a common name! Perhaps he had died by 1881 but I haven't been able to find a death for him, Lucia :-)

Margaret

Margaret Report 25 May 2005 16:26

I'm a bit confused (doesn't take much!) Is this 1871 record that you were referring to Alfred Goodge abt 1855 Offley, Hertfordshire, England Son Offley Hertfordshire Emily Goodge abt 1857 Offley, Hertfordshire, England Daughter Offley Hertfordshire George Goodge abt 1825 Offley, Hertfordshire, England Head Offley Hertfordshire Honor Goodge abt 1864 Offley, Hertfordshire, England Daughter Offley Hertfordshire Mary A Goodge abt 1828 Offley, Hertfordshire, England Wife Offley Hertfordshire Mary A Goodge abt 1861 Offley, Hertfordshire, England Daughter Offley Hertfordshire William Goodge abt 1869 Offley, Hertfordshire, England Son Offley Hertfordshire

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 25 May 2005 16:31

Hi Margaret, thank you for looking it up although I've already posted it on this thread. It proves that there were two George Goodges! The trouble is there doesn't seem to be any sign of my George Goodge, Lucia :-)

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 May 2005 16:34

Lucia It's possible he was dead? It's also quite likely as Offley isn't that big, that both Georges were related, perhaps cousins? nell

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 25 May 2005 16:39

Nell, I never thought about that, but if he is dead I wonder what happened to Alfred? I've had a look for his death but I can't seem to find one that fits. Thank you very much for your help Lucia :-)

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 25 May 2005 18:47

nudge

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 25 May 2005 19:03

Lucia Is this Alfred in 1881: Name: Alfred Gooch Age in 1881: 26 Age months: 0 Estimated birth year: abt 1855 Relationship to head-of-household: Head Household: View other family members Family and neighbors: View neighbors Gender: Male Where born: Offley, Hertfordshire, England Civil parish: Hexton County/Island: Hertfordshire Condition as to marriage: Married Occupation: Ag Lab Education: View Image Employment status: View Image Source information: RG11/1418 Registration district: Hitchin Sub-registration district: Hitchin ED, institution, or vessel: 3 Folio: 41 Page: 9

Irene

Irene Report 25 May 2005 23:06

I wonder if his wife had died in 1865 was it, the the child could have been one of the daughters and he said it was his, they didn't always admit to having children out of wed lock. Irene

Judith

Judith Report 1 Jun 2005 22:38

I'd like to bet that baby Alfred in the 1871 census was George's grandson, child of 20 year old Hannah, and that this is Hannah and family in 1881: Cockenhoe Cottage, Offley Hertfordshire Name Relationship Age Birthplace Frederick Brown Head 31 Offley, Hertfordshire >Hannah Brown Wife 30 Offley, Hertfordshire >Alfred Brown Son 11 Offley, Hertfordshire Emily Brown Daughter 9 Offley, Hertfordshire Agnes Brown Daughter 7 Offley, Hertfordshire Heivbert Brown Son 5 Offley, Hertfordshire Anne Brown Daughter 3 Offley, Hertfordshire Floria Brown Daughter 1 Offley, Hertfordshire Source information: RG11/1421 Registration district: Hitchin Sub-registration district: Hitchin ED, institution, or vessel: 25 Folio: 43 Page: 10

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 1 Jun 2005 22:41

Oh wow! Thanks Judith. I had already discovered that lot but never made the connection. It all makes sense now. Hannah didn't marry Frederick until September 1871 and Alfred was probably born before that. Thank you so much, Lucia :-)

Judith

Judith Report 1 Jun 2005 23:03

:-) Glad to have helped Could this be George's death - age is out by a year or two but whoever reported it may not have known the correct age Name: Goodge, George Record Type: Deaths Age at death: 55 Quarter: March Year: 1874 District: Hitchin County: Bedfordshire Hertfordshire Volume: 3a Page: 221 Offley was in Hitchin registration district.