Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice on ordering through family search records o

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jon and Suzie

Jon and Suzie Report 10 Jun 2005 19:15

Family Search record offices Hi everyone, we are considering ordering fiche etc. to be loaned to our local family records office, (which you can find addresses for on the familysearch website and reference numbers so you can order them). Can people who have tried this service advise me as to whether it is a good option. One of the places I am interested in where one of my ancestors said she was born seems well covered on the International Genealogical Index, in cases like that are the original documents likely to contain more that the IGI? Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had good, and frustrating results with this method, Jon and Suzie

Joe ex Bexleyheath

Joe ex Bexleyheath Report 10 Jun 2005 19:51

Never tried, but surely the originals in the county archives must be best

Jon and Suzie

Jon and Suzie Report 10 Jun 2005 19:55

Thanks for the reply. I think the family search stuff is original records and copies of original records, not entirely sure yet. Our oroblem is we are hundreds of miles away from anywhere our ancestors lived.

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 10 Jun 2005 20:03

The original registers (from which the IGI was transcribed) might contain more details. A baptismal entry in the parish register might include the occupation of the father and possibly the family address. Marriage entries might include everything you would expect from a marriage certificate including original signatures and witness details. Unfortunatly early registers might not include these details. Also - It is well worth the trouble to check that the details were correctly transcribed. Good luck Kathy

CATHKIN

CATHKIN Report 10 Jun 2005 20:07

I ORDERED A COUPLE OF CENSUS BUT HAD TO TRAWL THROUGH THEM ON THE MICROFICHE-UNFORTUNATELY I DIDN`T FIND WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR SO WAS DISAPPOINTED. Rosalyn

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 10 Jun 2005 20:09

To find out what the LDS have filmed for the parsih you want click on the library tab on the family search site. Then click on place name search and insert the parish. All the records filmed for that parish will come up. Click on the ones you want then click on film notes and make a note of the number. That number is what the LDS need to order the film for you. Gwynne

Jon and Suzie

Jon and Suzie Report 10 Jun 2005 20:28

Thanks for your replies. I have had a good look on familysearch to see what's available for each parish I am interested in. I was wondering though, if the IGI is full of records from a place from the right time, why would records have been missed unless they weren't in the original register... I think i will try using the method after what you have said and see for myself if it is worth doing again. I'm glad I've had some positive advice.

cazzabella

cazzabella Report 10 Jun 2005 21:05

Hi Jonathan, The golden rule in genealogy is ALWAYS, if possible, consult the original records. The IGI can be inaccurate, and misleading if you rely on that alone. It doesn't include burials, which are just as important as births and marriages - you need to check that the person you think is your ancestor didn't die before adulthood, for example. The information on the IGI is basic compared to a lot of original parish register entries. From 1813 baptisms and burials were entered into pre-printed registers with columns for child, parents, abode and father's occupation. Same for burials - name, age and abode. Marriages from 1752 were also entered into pre-printed registers and should give places of abode, marital status and witnesses. Marriages from 1837 have exactly the same info as the GRO certificates. Prior to these dates - anything goes! The registers might have no more info than the IGI, and often don't, but they might have a lot more, including dates of birth, mother's maiden names (I've seen baptism entries from the 1700s that name grandparents as well as parents). I've seen early burials that name parents, wives, husbands, abode, cause of death, even where in the churchyard the person was buried. I personally would never rely just on the IGI, or any other transcription or index. They are fine as a guide, but you really should check them against the originals. Best wishes, Carole

Jon and Suzie

Jon and Suzie Report 10 Jun 2005 21:17

Thanks very much for your advice, there are a few IGI records which I have found which would benefit from more information if the original records give it. I have seen some original records at Taunton and Worcester record offices, but cannot go up to those places every weekend so doing it near where I live would be alot easier if I can order in good records there.

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jun 2005 22:11

I understand that what you order from the LDS are microfilm of the original registers. When you search the parish registers in a records office - that's what you get, a microfiche or film of the original register. Very rarely can you look at an original entry as the registers are fragile and are carefully preserved. My experience of registers is that the earlier you go back the less info there is. My gt gt grandfather's baptism entry just gives his name, parents' name and Dec 1812 as the date. Other registers give father's occupation, mother's maiden name and an address as well as the date of baptism and sometimes a birthdate too. nell

Jon and Suzie

Jon and Suzie Report 10 Jun 2005 22:19

Thanks for reply have you used the family search record offices or just the county ones? We will definately try them now.

cazzabella

cazzabella Report 10 Jun 2005 22:29

Hi Jonathan, Sorry, I didn't make it clear that the LDS microfilms are copies of the original registers, so it doesn't matter whether you search them through the LDS or at the record office (as it's been pointed out, these are also all on microfiche/film now). Just as long as you get to see the original data for further details. So, yes, I would order them and see what turns up. I have an LDS library near me and I've used them for parish registers from Yorkshire (I'm in Hampshire), and if I hadn't, I'd still be where I was with my father's family 10 years ago! Of course, if you can get to the local record office, the advantage is that you can move from one parish to another and search other relevant records on the same day. Hope you are successful. Best wishes, Carole

Jon and Suzie

Jon and Suzie Report 10 Jun 2005 22:36

Yes, done a bit of that in Worcester and Taunton, but need to work on Yorkshire, Warwickshire and Lincolnshire, and can't get there without taking a holiday.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 10 Jun 2005 23:02

Jonathan I use my local LDS centre all the time for microfiche and microfilm copies of PRs, as I am 500 miles from my County of research. They often contain more information than is on the IGI and they often contain DIFFERENT information too - several IGI entiries referring to James Holden turned out to be clearly James Molden when looking at the film.And date variations are not unknown either - June turns out to be July, 1743 turns out to be 1748 and so on. And often there is additional useful general information on the film, such as lists of Church Officials, wordy obituaries for the local Gentry, snide remarks by the Vicar ('A Great Fool' comes to mind), lists of Pews and their occupants and so on. Go for it, you have only got £2.70 to lose - and maybe a lot to gain! Marjorie

Irene

Irene Report 10 Jun 2005 23:15

I have bought fiche from the Wiltshire records office, they did cost £2.50 each but you need a reader or take them to your local FHC and use their readers but ask first. Some don't mind you sharing the information but some FHC don't like it so find out first. Why not adopt the parish and put it on an OPC site like the Dorset opc site it brillant and would help so many people. I'm thinking of doing my parishes in Wiltshire its been started (Wilts opc that is) so I will find out later. Irene

Jon and Suzie

Jon and Suzie Report 10 Jun 2005 23:42

Thanks folks, looking forward to going and ordering now.

sydenham

sydenham Report 11 Jun 2005 07:20

Just to add another general comment - I use my local LDS all the time but the records I love are the Poor Law Records that tell a real tale particularly if like me your lot are poor. I know that some of my rellies made extra money by catching sparrows, when some were ill and needed help, when the children needed new shoes and when the parish had to pay for the shroud and coffin. I also get very excited when I find an actual church rate payer in my family showing they weren't all poor. So never forget these records when you have got your tree fairly well established. They tend to run from 1700s to 1840ish when they then just tended to shove them in the workhouse! Jan

Poolie Girl

Poolie Girl Report 11 Jun 2005 08:30

Marjorie Whicn centre did u order through? I had to pay £3.80 for each of mine at Billingham on 20th April and I'm still waiting for them to arrive! Beth :)

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 11 Jun 2005 20:32

Elizabeth I use Helston FHC and the most recent film I ordered - about 4 weeks ago - was £2.70. (Which is what it has always been). Admittedly, I do sometimes have to wait ages for a film to arrive but I generally order two at a time in the hope that one will be faster than the other! Marjorie

Jon and Suzie

Jon and Suzie Report 15 Jun 2005 13:18

I would be ordering through Helston too, tried ringing them monday evening when they should have been open, but no reply, going to try again one lunchtime.