Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where's my Frank Butcher in 1881?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 30 Jul 2005 10:43

Frank Butcher, born 13/07/1858, Dorking, Surrey. In 1871 he's at home with his parents aged 13. In 1891 he's with his wife (they married 1886) at their Bakers shop. No sign of him in 1881 - have tried variations on name etc... Any suggestions? Sarah

Mandy

Mandy Report 30 Jul 2005 10:49

where abouts do you think he lived? Still in Surrey?

Sarah

Sarah Report 30 Jul 2005 10:52

Your guess is as good as mine?!? He certainly spent the rest of his life there - all around the dorking area. But then he could be visting friends or out the country... ...don't really know where to start looking!

Mandy

Mandy Report 30 Jul 2005 10:56

LOL! I will have a go, but I am fairly new to this, so hopefully someone with more experience will join us! What were his parents names?

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 30 Jul 2005 11:03

Source information: RG13/623 Registration district: Dorking Sub-registration district: Dorking ED, institution, or vessel: 11 Folio: 40 Page: 7 Household schedule number: 43 Daisy H Butcher abt 1887 Holmwood, Surrey, England Daughter Dorking Holmwood Surrey Elizabeth Butcher abt 1860 Holmwood, Surrey, England Wife Dorking Holmwood Surrey Frank Butcher abt 1859 Holmwood, Surrey, England Head Dorking Holmwood Surrey Gertrude E Butcher abt 1889 Holmwood, Surrey, England Daughter Dorking Holmwood Surrey Harold F Butcher abt 1891 Holmwood, Surrey, England Son Dorking Holmwood Surrey Ivy I M Butcher abt 1900 Holmwood, Surrey, England Daughter Dorking Holmwood Surrey Julia H Butcher abt 1886 Holmwood, Surrey, England Daughter Dorking Holmwood Surrey Wilfred J Butcher abt 1895 Holmwood, Surrey, England Son Dorking Holmwood Surrey Mabel Norris abt 1878 Leicestershire, England Visitor Dorking Holmwood Surrey found by neighbour-hunting! Christine PS - now trying for 1881! oops!

Mandy

Mandy Report 30 Jul 2005 11:04

Christine! How quick was that????? Well done. Oh well, I tried! LOL.

Sarah

Sarah Report 30 Jul 2005 11:05

Thanks Mandy.. Parents: James Butchers c.1824, Charlwood, Surrey Elizabeth (nee Bellchambers) c.1818, Charlwood, Surrey Siblings: Eliza Butcher, 1855 Edward Butcher, 1856 The rest of the family are all still together in 1881. ;-)

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 30 Jul 2005 11:14

What's his occupation? Daft question - baker of course! Was he a baker when they married?

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 30 Jul 2005 11:22

Butcher the Baker... now wheres the candlestick maker? lol Sorry had a look but cant find him

Mandy

Mandy Report 30 Jul 2005 11:25

Like it Richard! Nothing so far, but I will keep looking as long as my children will let me! I will need to feed them at some time!

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 30 Jul 2005 11:29

Had a good look on 1881 - but failed. Husband seems to feel he has some right to use the computer! ;-) better let him have a turn. Christine

Mandy

Mandy Report 30 Jul 2005 11:44

no luck so far. I have tried searching for just bakers in 1881. Only one with the name Butcher. Could Frank have had a middle name that youy know of? Arthur Butcher born 1862, Horley Surrey address - Yalding Village Grocers shop occ - Baker RG11/0924 Registration district: Maidstone Sub-registration district: Yalding ED, institution, or vessel: 4 Folio: 42 Page: 5 Don't think he is yours tho.

Mandy

Mandy Report 30 Jul 2005 11:45

gotta go, but I will check the thread again later and see if anyone has found him, if not, I will try and carry on.

Sarah

Sarah Report 30 Jul 2005 11:58

Lol re candlestick maker! When ever I mention him I get the obligatory 'awright Paaat' from my husband! Have given up and attempt to keep mouth shut now! No middle name I'm afraid so don't think its Arthur (dates and place of birth not quite right either). Looks like this is going to be some challenge! Is there anyway of finding out if he was out the country? Sarah

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 30 Jul 2005 12:11

He's not in Wales or Scotland. I can't find him anywhere :(

Mandy

Mandy Report 30 Jul 2005 16:30

been looking again, but can't find him - sorry Sarah. I will have a think, but hopefully someone may have some suggestions

Sarah

Sarah Report 30 Jul 2005 18:52

Seems not to be my day - appear to have lost the whole of another family now.... :-( Maybe tomorrow will be more successful!

Mandy

Mandy Report 31 Jul 2005 08:05

Could he have been in hospital? If so, maybe only his intials were on census? Long shot I know!

Mandy

Mandy Report 31 Jul 2005 08:17

Could he have been briefly married before?

Sarah

Sarah Report 31 Jul 2005 08:20

Oh Mandy I'm exhausted with looking!!! I have tried everything I can think of including all 'Franks' born at the right time and in the area, all 'Butchers' etc etc. I think I have to accept he is not on the 1881 census. Could he have been doing miltary service? If so could that have taken him out of the country? Sorry to ask such a naive question but still finding my feet in the world of genealogy!