Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding Out About Our Pub

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carole

Carole Report 28 Sep 2005 13:44

We have an old photo on the wall in our pub dated 1891. It's taken outside the front door and clearly shows the pub sign (still the same name) It shows an older couple wearing aprons and a young woman in a jaunty hat! Would love to find out who they were if they were living here at that time. I've been on ancestry to check the census but there are 25 districts for Chesterfield. Does anyone know how I could search for an address on there? Carole xx

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 28 Sep 2005 14:08

Hi Carole Whats the name of the Pub your at in Chesterfield,And I'll give it a go. Searching with only an address is a pain!!!!!! Cheryl

Merry

Merry Report 28 Sep 2005 14:08

As you have found the 25 districts for Chesterfield and presumably you have the street address of the pub (!!!) then you need to click on each of the 25 ''Description of enumeration District'' pages, looking for the street in which the pub is situated. When you have found which district it is in, then you would need to view each of the pages in that district. It's possible the pub isn't named in the address column (though it probably will be), but you may have to look out for a publican in the occupation column if you can't see the pub by the address. Merry

Carole

Carole Report 28 Sep 2005 14:15

Hi Cheryl You are very kind. It's The Nags Head on Derby Road Merry I tried searching the districts, got up to abt district 6 then gave up. I dont know Chesterfield very well and hadn't heard of a lot of roads so didn't know if I was getting close or not. I did find a mention of Derby Road but it seemed to merge with another road and I couldn't find it. Carole xx

Merry

Merry Report 28 Sep 2005 14:16

Cheryl - How about you start from district 1 and I'll go from 25?? Merry

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 28 Sep 2005 14:24

Hi Carole I've found a Nags Head in a place called Unstone Derbyshire It's got written across now transferred to Aston District, does that make sense to you. Here are the details but this is in 1881 not 1891 Name Estimated Birth Year Birthplace Relationship Residence View Image John J. Milner abt 1856 Whitwell, Derbyshire, England Visitor Nags Head Inn, Unstone, Derbyshire, England Alfred Richardson abt 1854 Hackenthorpe, Derbyshire, England Son (Head) Nags Head Inn, Unstone, Derbyshire, England Elizabeth A. Richardson abt 1879 Burchett, Derbyshire, England Daughter Nags Head Inn, Unstone, Derbyshire, England Jane Richardson abt 1853 Cutthorpe, Derbyshire, England Daughter in Law Nags Head Inn, Unstone, Derbyshire, England Mark Richardson abt 1880 Burchett, Derbyshire, England Son Nags Head Inn, Unstone, Derbyshire, England Merry- Can you find these people in 1891? If this is the right pub its Unstone District, you had any luck yet!!!! Cheryl

Tillot

Tillot Report 28 Sep 2005 14:32

According to Genuki, Unstone is 4 miles away from Chesterfield. I've done a search on the 1881 pubs site, but can't find anything for the 'Nags Head' in Chesterfield. Maybe it wasn't a pub though in 1881.

Carole

Carole Report 28 Sep 2005 14:33

Hi Cheryl No it's not Unstone, thats on the way to Sheffield. We are to the south, just inside Chesterfield. Ive had a look at the districts and most of the places I recognise are up in the town centre. We are on the outskirts. Derby Road is the main drag from Clay Cross in to Chesterfield. Thanks ever so for looking. Think I'll have to look when I've got a free day and trawl thru all the districts! Carole xx

fraserbooks

fraserbooks Report 28 Sep 2005 14:34

It is worth looking at the historical directory site as they often list the local taverns.

Merry

Merry Report 28 Sep 2005 14:35

Cheryl - I haven't got that far yet, but I can't see why Carol had 25 districts in 1891 for Chesterfield, as I can only find 14??? I have looked at the Descriptions listings, but I can't see Derby Road mentioned. That's as far as I've got at the mo...... Oh, On the 1901 census Derby Road is recorded as in the Ecclesiastical Parish of ''Chesterfield St Marys & All Saints With Calow'', which is in the Civil Parish of Chesterfield. Unfortunately whilst the street is numbered in 1901 (up to 63) there's no mention of a pub Ggggrr!! Merry

Carole

Carole Report 28 Sep 2005 14:49

Hi Merry There are 25 districts in 1901 not 91, sorry it's me having a senior moment! Looking at district 3b it mentions Rother something or other which is getting closer to us, but then it heads back towards town. We are actually in Birdholme a suburb of Chesterfield but I don't think it had been invented in 1891! Carole xx

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 28 Sep 2005 14:53

Hi Merry I just found out that a William Henry Green was the landlord at the pub in 1920 bit of useless inof really as he wasn't there in 1901 Cheryl

Merry

Merry Report 28 Sep 2005 14:55

That's very interesting that Chesterfield was SOOO much bigger in 1901. I wonder if the Nags Head is languishing in anouther district? I've tried Callow and Calow (both titchy) but no joy :o(( Suggest you try a thread on Records Office board asking if anyone has a 1891 street index for Derbyshire. Otherwise the library will probably have some maps or something that might make everything crystal clear as to where to look! Merry

Merry

Merry Report 28 Sep 2005 14:58

I just searched for Nags Head in Derbyshire in 1890 Kellys Directory on the Historic Directories site, but whilst it found several Nags Heads it didn't find one in Chesterfield. Gggggrrr! Merry

Carole

Carole Report 28 Sep 2005 15:13

Thanks All for your help. It's a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack isn't it. Merry I will go to the library to see if they have any info. Chris, thats a different distict but thanks anyway. Cheryl, that is very interesting, my maiden name was Green! Carole xx

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 28 Sep 2005 15:18

Hi Carole Can you let us know how you go as I would like to know the outcome Best of luck with your search Cheryl

Merry

Merry Report 28 Sep 2005 15:24

It's in flippin' Pigot's 1835 Directory: Nag's Head, William Turner, Derby road Gggggrrrrrr! Merry

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 28 Sep 2005 15:49

Hi Merry Whoo hoo!!!! Congrats I never thought of looking there. Well done Cheryl

Carole

Carole Report 28 Sep 2005 16:08

Hi All Ive just found it in Pigots Commercial Directory for 1835. Wonder if theres one for 1891 when pic was taken. Carole xx

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 28 Sep 2005 17:12

Check out this site? you may find more pictures and info. http://www(.)picturethepast(.)org(.)uk/ remove brackets Roy